View Full Version : S-Log on Z90, NX80, AX700

Craig Seeman
March 8th, 2018, 01:47 PM
I've been testing S-Log S-Gamut on the Z90. It's still a learning process for me.
I'm using FCPX 10.4 to examine the files.

Testing on UHD (so far) which is only 8 Bit.

I like the flexibility on how to handle highlights and shadows in Post rather than being locked in to another Gamma.

There's the potential for shadow noise unless one over exposes and brings down in post.

Oddly if I'm going to apply a Camera Lut (after adjusting exposure) that using the Lut for S-log 3 S-Gamut3.Cine looks better than any S-Log 2 Lut.

I'm an "urban" shooter so I'm often trying to retain highlights (sky,clouds) while the subject may be in shadow created by surrounding buildings. This is different than much of the "scenic" stuff I see others posting.

I'll post screenshots as I can but the shots aren't "pretty." They were done to match typical circumstances I may shoot in.

Craig Seeman
March 8th, 2018, 02:15 PM
First is based on Doug Jensen's recommended profile except I left Detail at 0 and brought down highlights in post.

Second (on the right) is S-Log2 S-Gamut which is PP7 on the Z90.

Third (on the bottom) is the above with Coremelt Chromatic plugin with exposure adjusted then S-Log3 S-Gamut3.Cine applied and then further graded. Obviously grading includes a subjective aesthetic and of course one can also grade non S-Log profiles as well. I noticed it was softer than my variant of Doug's and, when looking at PP7, it seems Detail is at -7 so this is one reason why I'm experimenting. I'll change that to 0 and to another test at some point.

I also included the scopes so you can see some of the technical differences, especially about what you're starting with compared the non S-Log picture.

Ricky Sharp
March 10th, 2018, 02:01 PM
I do like the third (graded SLog-3). Definitely more saturated, and perhaps that is thowing me a bit off when looking just at tones. But I think it looks good.

Dan Gunn
March 10th, 2018, 02:07 PM
DITTO! Sky is good.

Doug Jensen
March 11th, 2018, 06:20 PM
But is the sky what's most important to the shot? Is it the subject?

Craig Seeman
March 12th, 2018, 08:01 AM
But is the sky what's most important to the shot? Is it the subject?

Just the beginning test to see what would work. If it were the red car and the mural of the right, they would be problematic as they may be underexposed and over saturated but that may just be part of incomplete grad. I'd have to see if that can be improved. If genuinely underexposed in an 8 bit 4:2:0 codec shot in S-Log2 it could be irreparable. I shot this because I knew it would present a number of challenges with some potential worse case scenarios. Had the scene involved someone exited the car the exposure would likely had to have been higher.