View Full Version : GH5 video UHD settings: Standard or Natural profile?

Adriano Moroni
March 11th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Hi, I'd like to know your advice but only if you are expert about GH5 please. I will reach Africa where there is a lot of sun. I have set my GH5 in UHD 60p 8bit. I'm undecided if I choose Standard or Natural profile to shhot but Natural with all parameters -2 . With Standard profile I usually don't need to modify the clips in post-production and it is good because I shoot in 8bit (not 10bit) and I could degrade the image quality. If I choose Natural profile with all parameters -2 I will have to modify the clours in post-production (chromatism, brightness, etc.). Which of both profiles would you choose?
Thanks

Noa Put
March 11th, 2018, 05:10 PM
As you live in pal land you should shoot 50P, not 60p, both natural and standard are ok as they give the most natural colors, I usually dial saturation back a bit because all profiles look a bit too saturated to me but other then that I don't touch any settings.

Adriano Moroni
March 12th, 2018, 02:17 AM
I use 60p because video is more fluid.... I think it. With "Natural" profile do you not think it is better to lower sharpness and to increase it in post production?

Adriano Moroni
March 14th, 2018, 03:16 AM
Ok, I have just decided, I will use "Natural" profile with a polarize filter on the GH5 lens.
Now I'm looking for a good polarizer filter with front filter threads so that I can attach a rubber lens hood. I use Leica 12-60 lens. Do you have some suggestions? I thank you.

Vishal Jadhav
March 14th, 2018, 11:54 PM
Hi,

Last year i did the promotion for GH5 and we made 2 short films on wildlife in Kenya with the GH5 and all the panny lenses.
We shot everything in Natural profile stock nothing changed and it got the results that we needed.
The light in most of the places is too much most of the times hence i advice you on picking up a good variable ND which should allow you to shoot at better apertures in daylight.

Adriano Moroni
March 15th, 2018, 01:50 AM
Ohhh, thanks for your confirmation of my ideas. Have you ever used expodisc for white balance in Kenya?
I have just watched that interesting video on youtube.

Noa Put
March 15th, 2018, 05:09 AM
You mainly need a expodisc in tricky lightconditions but I would just dial in the kelvin values myself.

Vishal Jadhav
March 16th, 2018, 02:37 AM
Ohhh, thanks for your confirmation of my ideas. Have you ever used expodisc for white balance in Kenya?
I have just watched that interesting video on youtube.

I didnt need a exposedisc in kenya at all, the only tricky time is when the sun comes over head there .

Adriano Moroni
March 17th, 2018, 02:16 AM
I didnt need a exposedisc in kenya at all, the only tricky time is when the sun comes over head there .

Can you tell me how you made the white balance with GH5 in Kenya please?

Vishal Jadhav
March 18th, 2018, 11:18 PM

Kenya is tricky in some circumstances and the thing you want to achieve also makes a lot of difference to the White balance choices that you make.

For me daylight white balance worked perfectly fine in the early morning light . (for me the green foliage representation was always the key)
Mid day is when the thing gets tricky here the best way i found was to look at anything green and dial the custom white balance kelvin to the figure that rightly represented the green, (luckily i had a green safari vehicle driving me so finding my green was possible) all the mid day shots i used a CPL filter as sometime you get a issue with a bit washed off colours due to the sun intensity and CPL helps.
Evenings now here it gets more upon choice as the colours you i wanted more were the Yellows, Reds, Oranges i used Shade as White balance and later dialed it to custom with a higher Kelvin value to give me the right hues.
This is how i solved my issue, as you know most of the times its very personal as to how we like things to look

Noa Put
March 19th, 2018, 01:50 AM
luckily i had a green safari vehicle driving me so finding my green was possible

So you are scr*wed if the jeep is brown? :)

Why don't you just use one of those white balance kelvin charts that you can find via a google image search, they will tell you what kelvin to dial in for daylight, overcast sky, sunset etc.

Vishal Jadhav
March 19th, 2018, 11:08 PM
So you are scr*wed if the jeep is brown? :)

Why don't you just use one of those white balance kelvin charts that you can find via a google image search, they will tell you what kelvin to dial in for daylight, overcast sky, sunset etc.

Well Noa Put its upon us as to how we are comfortable with our shooting style, nothing is right or wrong its all that we are comfortable with.

Imagine what you would have said if the jeep was red ;)

its always how we see things and the way we work our ways to get the desired results and there are multiple ways to do that is what i know

Noa Put
March 20th, 2018, 03:46 AM
I just found it funny you have to rely on something that is green in your environment to even be able set a whitebalance, setting a whitebalance is not exactly rocket sience and if you follow some basic rules you will have a good startingpoint to work with in post. Why don't you use something like a X-Rite ColorChecker? In that way you do have colorreferences with you in a pocketsize.

Vishal Jadhav
March 20th, 2018, 10:47 PM
I just found it funny you have to rely on something that is green in your environment to even be able set a whitebalance, setting a whitebalance is not exactly rocket sience and if you follow some basic rules you will have a good startingpoint to work with in post. Why don't you use something like a X-Rite ColorChecker? In that way you do have colorreferences with you in a pocketsize.

Noa Put,
It may be funny for you, for me i do my white balance as i do it and having my methods to do it, especially when you use 500 mm as your mostly used lens and shoot wildlife for most part you need to find your ways . Dont have any problems with your methods i just have mine, hope thats not too hard for you .

Noa Put
March 21st, 2018, 01:55 AM
But seriously, how difficult can it be? It's just plain sun, either a Sunrise, sunset and everything inbetween and then overcast sky or no clouds and shooting a subject in the shade or full sun. For every situation you can dial in a fixed kelvin value no matter if you shoot with a 50mm or 500mm lens. If you shoot in similiar situations every single year you should know based on experience what kelvin values work best without having to rely on the color of a jeep? For instance, why is midday shooting in Kenya tricky? The sun gives the same light everday, the only differences might be clouds or if you shoot a subject in the shade of full sun but that applies to the rest of the day as well.

Vishal Jadhav
March 22nd, 2018, 04:10 AM
Noa Put,

I do understand you want to write a lot and read a little, so guess i leave it to u.

Noa Put
March 22nd, 2018, 11:38 AM
Vishal Jadhav,

I have read it all but it didn't make much sense to me, that's why I was questioning.

Adriano Moroni
March 22nd, 2018, 12:31 PM
Kenya is tricky in some circumstances and the thing you want to achieve also makes a lot of difference to the White balance choices that you make.

For me daylight white balance worked perfectly fine in the early morning light . (for me the green foliage representation was always the key)
Mid day is when the thing gets tricky here the best way i found was to look at anything green and dial the custom white balance kelvin to the figure that rightly represented the green, (luckily i had a green safari vehicle driving me so finding my green was possible) all the mid day shots i used a CPL filter as sometime you get a issue with a bit washed off colours due to the sun intensity and CPL helps.

Where I make shots usually there is red ground. I find it very difficult. Almost always I'm wrong and I get mixed colors. How would you make the white balance?

Noa Put
March 22nd, 2018, 03:01 PM
How do you set your whitebalance now in such a case?

Adriano Moroni
March 22nd, 2018, 04:10 PM
I choose the "Preset" but the videocmera gets drunk with red.

Noa Put
March 22nd, 2018, 04:29 PM
ok, but which preset and during which part of the day?

Adriano Moroni
March 22nd, 2018, 05:04 PM
Sorry, which preset would have I to choose in the day? I chose the day preset (sun icon). I use that preset for all the time but not at sunset and at night. Unfortunately I took this bad habit so as not to waste time.