View Full Version : Variable ND Filter Quality? Need help to decide.

Arthur Abramov
March 13th, 2018, 05:50 AM
What is the difference between brands, Tiffen and Hoya & ect.?

What do you guys use on your lenses?
I'm using a sigma 18-35 1.8.

Steven Schuldt
March 15th, 2018, 03:24 PM
I don't use variable NDs generally, as many can create issues (while shooting anamorphic, for example). The best ND filters I've found are from Breakthrough Photography:

https://breakthrough.photography

John C. Chu
March 18th, 2018, 06:30 AM
As an enthusiast, there are a ton of inexpensive variable ND's out there and I think it is worth buying a cheap one to try out and see if it works for you.

The thing about variable ND's and the cheaper ones, is whether or not there will be a color shift and whether it will show an "X" or uneven filtration at maximum ND. Usually backing off the ND and stopping down the aperture will avoid it.

I assume the pricier ones will address those concerns.

Vishal Jadhav
March 25th, 2018, 03:05 AM
The variable NDs are useful for sure as you would like the aperture to be enough to create a right DOF.

I have used Variable NDs and still use them, on wider lenses like the 12-35 i use a TIFFEN 77mm Variable ND as i found that most of these have a bit of color shift on the outer end near the edges at higher value so using a bigger ND than you need avoids it, i found it very useful when shooting mid day too.

This is a example of what i shot with the ND last year and it was around 11am onwards

Sudan - Last Male Standing - YouTube

its surely useful

Simon Chan
June 30th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Hoya Solas Variable NDX. No colour shift, no polarizing effect and maintains sharpness. It out perform even fixed NDs.
Never thought it is possible a variable ND can overcome these issues. This is the new gold standard for NDs variable or fixed.

Adriano Moroni
June 30th, 2018, 01:55 PM
I have a Hoya ND fixed filter and I made many tests, then I evaluated the quality of the image with a big monitor. I have to tell Hoya mixes the colors and degrades the definition but it is enough imperceptible. I think it's hard to say that a variable ND filter is better than a fixed one. But if you say so maybe you did the tests too. I wanted buy B&W BW1075251 Neutral density but if you say that Hoya ND variable filter is even better than the fixed one, I will think about it.

Simon Chan
June 30th, 2018, 02:26 PM
I have a Hoya ND fixed filter and I made many tests, then I evaluated the quality of the image with a big monitor..

Not this one
http://www.hoyafilter.com/hoya/products/ndfilters/variabledensityfilter/

This is the one
http://solasndx.hoyafilterusa.com

Only just came out a few months ago so not many around and they are not cheap.

Cary Knoop
June 30th, 2018, 03:07 PM
The variable NDs are useful for sure as you would like the aperture to be enough to create a right DOF.

I have used Variable NDs and still use them, on wider lenses like the 12-35 i use a TIFFEN 77mm Variable ND as i found that most of these have a bit of color shift on the outer end near the edges at higher value so using a bigger ND than you need avoids it, i found it very useful when shooting mid day too.

This is a example of what i shot with the ND last year and it was around 11am onwards

Sudan - Last Male Standing - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l-hoPBBpGQ&t=2s)

its surely useful
Nice!

Great GH5 shirt by the way.
Why doesn't Panasonic send me one? ;)

Adriano Moroni
June 30th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Not this one
HOYA | The Difference is Clear (http://www.hoyafilter.com/hoya/products/ndfilters/variabledensityfilter/)

This is the one
Solas NDX – The Sharpest – Most Color Consistent – No Compromises (http://solasndx.hoyafilterusa.com)

Only just came out a few months ago so not many around and they are not cheap.

I understand, it is the best ND variable filter. Out of curiosity: do you use ithe variable ND filter with lens hood. Did you buy the filter with the same size of the lens or larger?

Cliff Totten
June 30th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Have used a few but the SLR Magic is the best I have seen. No X pattern and is ultra sharp. It has a ring lever and hard stops. Google them.

Simon Chan
June 30th, 2018, 11:39 PM
I understand, it is the bess ND variable filter. Out of curiosity: do you use ithe variable ND filter with lens hood. Did you buy the filter with the same size of the lens or larger?

No lens hood. I use a matte box if needed. I get the largest 82mm and use step up rings.
Solas are generally not available outside USA.

Simon Chan
June 30th, 2018, 11:56 PM
Have used a few but the SLR Magic is the best I have seen. No X pattern and is ultra sharp. It has a ring lever and hard stops. Google them.

I have the SLR Magic MkII it is as sharp as the Solas but like most variable ND it is vulnerable to polarisation. It allows you to change the angle of polarisation but it is a pain when you shoot in field and does not completely remove it, you just move polarisation from one area to another. It also shift to warm as you dial up the density. It only goes up to 6 stops which is not enough for me. There are times when I need to shoot at ISO 1600 to get an extra stop of highlight on a Blackmagic camera and 6 stops is simply not enough.

Adriano Moroni
July 1st, 2018, 12:52 AM

Do you mean this one?
https://www.amazon.it/SLR-Magic-Reflex-millimetri-variabile/dp/B01BBZZK20/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530427684&sr=1-3&keywords=SLR+Magic+ND+filter

Then .... if I have a Leica 12-60mm lens 62mm, it is better I buy a larger ND variable filter (for the problem of vignetting) or 62mm is better?
I think you don't use lens hood, right?

Adriano Moroni
July 1st, 2018, 12:55 AM
No lens hood. I use a matte box if needed. I get the largest 82mm and use step up rings.

It is nice to use matte box, but I can't use it. I need a very practical thing when I travel.

Simon Chan
July 1st, 2018, 01:39 AM
You can buy a screw in lens hood that goes on to the front of the filter.

Noa Put
July 1st, 2018, 02:39 AM
I didn't even knew lens hoods existed that go on to the front of the nd filter but I just found this which might be what Adriano is looking for?

LightCraft Workshop Digi Pro ND + Rubber Lens Hood - YouTube

Adriano Moroni
July 1st, 2018, 02:47 AM
Yes, I liked that video even if I don't like to add adapter rings for the filter.

Cliff Totten
July 1st, 2018, 09:53 AM
Do you mean this one?
https://www.amazon.it/SLR-Magic-Reflex-millimetri-variabile/dp/B01BBZZK20/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530427684&sr=1-3&keywords=SLR+Magic+ND+filter

Then .... if I have a Leica 12-60mm lens 62mm, it is better I buy a larger ND variable filter (for the problem of vignetting) or 62mm is better?
I think you don't use lens hood, right?

I have this lens too. I got it in 77mm so I can use it on all my lenses. I use the Xume magnetic system so I can swap lenses fast.

Yes...its limited to 6 stops which, I guess, is why its quality is high. Im OK with warmer color cast as im color grading in post anyway. My biggest fear was losing resolution as that is something that you cant recover or correct in post.

So, no X pattern and maintains resolving power. Color shift is an easy fix for me. I always warm or cool my stuff anyway.

CT

Simon Chan
July 1st, 2018, 11:03 AM
Reducing temperature in camera or in post is digitally raising the blue channel from its native temperature at 5600k. This will increase blue noise in the shadow. Cooling filters or lighting are preferable.
Unless you are really after the look caused by colour shift and no intention of correcting it then this should be considered a negative side effect.

Donald McPherson
July 1st, 2018, 12:33 PM
This is an older comparison but I am sure it still stands good. https://youtu.be/TqoHAO-AgMg

Cliff Totten
July 1st, 2018, 01:37 PM
Reducing temperature in camera or in post is digitally raising the blue channel from its native temperature at 5600k. This will increase blue noise in the shadow. Cooling filters or lighting are preferable.
Unless you are really after the look caused by colour shift and no intention of correcting it then this should be considered a negative side effect.

This is true but this exact argument can be made about almost ANY color grading technique in post. Manipulating almost any aspect of an image can theoretically bring you unwanted artifacts. Just grading ANY simple log footage in post can do what you say.

However, this doesnt stop Hollywood or anybody else from lifting, twisting, bending, saturating and stretching the Hell out their videos. I often use six vector editing in post to push colors I want to stand out or suppress ones I dont.

How many people do a rigid "what you see is what you get" work flow? I'd bet that a huge portion of your favorite looking videos/movies were corrected and color graded (often quote a bit) in post. They almost never looked exactly that way right out of the camera.

This is an incerdably normal thing to do.....especially with a 10bit GH5

Adriano Moroni
July 2nd, 2018, 12:26 AM
I read SLR Magic gives a problem in the center of the image (dark halo) when you rotate it to the maximum, then it has only 4 stops. I'm considering whether to buy this SLR Magic or B&W BW1075251
You know I'm going to Africa ..... in your opinion, which is better to buy between them?
This is the link of B&W filter: https://www.amazon.it/BW1075251-Neutral-density-camera-filter/dp/B00GRQE0ES

Cliff Totten
July 2nd, 2018, 01:24 AM
I can only speak for my copy. I'm a pixel peeping fool and I have gone over mine pretty obsessively and I'm verry happy with how it looks. I also have a Tiffen variable ND which is OK but I like the SLR Magic better.

Your milage may vary.

CT

Adriano Moroni
July 4th, 2018, 01:08 AM
If you should choose between the two options, would you shoot "like 709" or "Standard"?

Adriano Moroni
July 9th, 2018, 03:32 AM
What could it happen if I shoot 50p 8bit and I make video editing at 25p?
Will my documentary look like as it was shot at 25p? Thanks.

Keith Rollinson
July 9th, 2018, 07:25 AM
What could it happen if I shoot 50p 8bit and I make video editing at 25p?
Will my documentary look like as it was shot at 25p? Thanks.

No, it will look "different." You need to test this yourself, both with relatively still and moving subject/camera. Then you can describe to yourself what you see - by far the best way to learn the difference.

Adriano Moroni
July 9th, 2018, 11:43 AM
I accidentally did a test with the GH5 with the "Hybrid Log Gamma" profile. It's a very flat and faded profile that seems like vlog. Then I added the "Primary Color Correction" filter to the clip on Edius Timeline clip and the miracle appeared as if by magic. I got a very good, almost excellent image in a tenth of a second. Of course, then you can change the color as you wish on that image obtained. Have you ever made this test? Is it convenient to shoot with that profile? I could never imagine that I could get that quality with just one mouse move. I also tried to add "Primary Color Correction" to other clips I shot with other profiles, but nothing happened. They don't even see that filter. That filfer seems to have been procreated for the "Hybrid Log Gamma" profile.What do you think about it?

Keith Rollinson
July 9th, 2018, 01:21 PM
I accidentally did a test with the GH5 with the "Hybrid Log Gamma" profile. It's a very flat and faded profile that seems like vlog. Then I added the "Primary Color Correction" filter to the clip on Edius Timeline clip and the miracle appeared as if by magic. I got a very good, almost excellent image in a tenth of a second. Of course, then you can change the color as you wish on that image obtained. Have you ever made this test? Is it convenient to shoot with that profile? I could never imagine that I could get that quality with just one mouse move. I also tried to add "Primary Color Correction" to other clips I shot with other profiles, but nothing happened. They don't even see that filter. That filfer seems to have been procreated for the "Hybrid Log Gamma" profile.What do you think about it?

There are many different LOG settings possible. It's always two-stepped - 1) knowing how to set up to shoot for log, under which circumstances, and knowing how to monitor it, and 2) applying the correct LUT in post, tweaking as necessary.

If not experienced in shooting LOG, I would not advise you to do so. If you want to learn more about LOG, go shoot a bunch of LOG footage under different lighting situations, and research it yourself online - google, bing,etc. are all your friends.

Noa Put
July 9th, 2018, 02:24 PM
I could never imagine that I could get that quality with just one mouse move.

Normally pcc in edius doesn't do anything if you just add it to a clip but what I think happened is that edius recognised the colorspace and added it's own correct lut or it changed the source colorspace.
You can check this by looking in the pcc window and look at the tab colorspace, normally it says that under source: auto (bt.709) and under destination lut: project color space (bt.709) and base says "display light. Compare that to the properties in your clip and probably you have got a other values that edius assigns automatically.

Adriano Moroni
July 9th, 2018, 03:20 PM
In your opinion is it possible to get better results shooting "Hybrid Log Gamma" profile and to apply that LUT in post or shooting "Natural" and adjusting a bit the colors in post?

Noa Put
July 10th, 2018, 03:49 AM
I never shoot in log profiles, I agree with Keith if you don't have enough experience shooting and editing in log it's best to stay clear from it, the standard or natural profile are just fine for most uses.

Adriano Moroni
July 10th, 2018, 04:53 AM
I disagree with you because today I have just tried many tests shooting as "Hybrid Log Gamma" and then applying "Primary Color Corrector" filter as "Natural" profile and then modifying a bit it colours.
These are my testas:
www.dropbox.com/s/mmxb58pm07eudti/1.mp4?dl=0
www.dropbox.com/s/uz9wysqwf40w2jz/2.mp4?dl=0
www.dropbox.com/s/k7albsu3sv4b42v/3.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdys6hkhh42brmh/4.mp4?dl=0

1 and 3 with "Hybrid Log Gamma" and "Primary Color Corretion"
2 and 4 "Natural"

Noa Put
July 10th, 2018, 05:37 AM
I hate to say it but you just proved my point, I only looked at 3 and 4, you turned the sky in .3 into cyan and you blew the highlights but if you are happy with that then who am I to tell you any different.

Adriano Moroni
July 10th, 2018, 06:06 AM
ahaha, you are right. I noticed it. The clip was a bit overexposed. Now I have just modified it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7albsu3sv4b42v/3.mp4?dl=0
The sky was bad but th color of the houses is much closer to reality. Anyway I thanks you for your suggestion. But you can not refute saying that 1 is worse than 2. ;)

Steve Burkett
July 11th, 2018, 07:01 AM
Log is better than other profiles for many scenarios, especially vLog where the colour science is slightly better. It's more forgiving on high contrast scenes, so outdoors, very sunny shots, it shows it's worth. That said, it's easier to screw up in edit and needs practise and understanding and monitoring ideally to bring out it's best. Natural and other camera profiles are safer. Though I've never been happier with them myself and am loving using vLog this year after experimenting with HLG. Thanks to a lot of very talented people, I have a number of LUT to choose from to give my footage a distinctive look. So am experimenting with different looks and styles and grades i never really was able to do before.

Short answer, you want the best footage, shoot log and !earn to grade. If you want an easier life with less risk, choose Natural or any of the other profiles.