View Full Version : Panasonic UX-180 audio issue

Randy Johnson
March 18th, 2018, 04:04 PM
So I bought a UX-180 6 months ago I used it once for a bit to get used to it, Last night I took it out on its first full job. everything was ok until the reception I have a external shotgun run into 1 using phantom power. A few times during the reception the audio just cut out totally both channels I think I was in the heat of battle so I couldnt try to many things beyond tapping on the volume control and shaking the shotgun cable. I switched cameras for the rest of the job I went back and couldnt recreate the issue even this morning. Anyone else have this issue? could it be anything else over than a camera failure?

Vaughan Wood
March 18th, 2018, 06:05 PM
As an audio engineer with extensive TV and sound studio experience before my 22 years as a videographer, I would always suggest a cable fault before an intermittent camera fault.

Did you rattle the cable to see if it cut in or out?

Did you pull the connector out and re-insert it? Both ends?

Did you pull it out of Input 1 and try Input 2?

They would have been my first reactions.

Once I had a shotgun stop working because it had started to unscrew itself from it's power module. That's worth checking too.

Then I would turn my attention to the audio switches on the camera and check they were seated properly in their selections, re-select them, and test. (including phantom power switch).

If still not working switch to internal mic.

That's about all you can do when at a wedding.

Cheers,

Vaughan

Pete Cofrancesco
March 18th, 2018, 09:18 PM
I own the ux180 and had a similar issue but it could be completely unrelated to what you experienced.
I had previous job where for the first time I had used a battery in my Audio-Technica AT897 shotgun mic. So on my next job nothing but static thought it was the camera or cable. Turned out when I pulled the battery after my last job I didn’t fully screw the mic shaft tightly together. Apparently it must use microphone shaft to complete the circuit or form a ground without it the mic won’t work.

Randy Johnson
March 18th, 2018, 10:06 PM
thanks for the replys, yes I did shake around the audio cable and I also assigned the internal mic to channel 2 and the shotgun on 1. I lost them both in the field. I guess for now I will keep using it but keeping a eye or ear on it.