View Full Version : seprating audio tracks

Bob Kreider
March 21st, 2018, 06:37 PM
I'm recording with a Sony PMW320 using separate audio sources for track one and track two. Track one is a wireless mic and track two is the on-board camera mic.

When I import the files from an SxS-1 card using a Sony card reader, the audio tracks are combined into one track. How do I keep these separate?

Using Adobe Premier Pro as my editing system.

John Wiley
March 23rd, 2018, 12:06 AM
There's a few different ways.

a) In your preferences:

Edit > Preferences > Audio > Default Audio Tracks
In the drop-down box for STEREO MEDIA, select "Mono"

The problem with this method is that all of your imported stereo audio - including music - will be split into two tracks by default

b) In your project window:

Select clips > Right click > Modify > Audio channels
For the PRESET option select "Mono" and your stereo track will be split into two audio tracks.

The downside to this method is that you have to do it every time you import clips that you want to be converted to individual tracks.

c) On your timeline:

Right click > Audio Channels
Under the "Media Source Channels" click the checkboxes to deselect the tracks you don't want.

The downside to this is you can only use one of the channels, unless you duplicate the clip.

d) Apply a "Fill Left" or "Fill Right" filter to eliminate the channel you don't want. This is a rather clumsy way of doing it, they only reason to use this method is that it leaves your stereo waveforms intact, so you can glance at your timeline and have a visual reference of what (if anything) is on the silent channel without having to dig into any settings or toggle channels.