View Full Version : ProRes RAW support?

Andy Yoong
April 5th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Any news on ProRes RAW support on the Odyssey 7q+?

Dan Keaton
April 6th, 2018, 06:50 AM
Dear Andy,

We are researching Apple ProRes Raw at this time.

We do not have any news to report right now.

Respectfully,

Rob Crain
April 6th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Prores RAW would be so awesome on the Odyssey 7Q! Fingers crossed!

Dave Allen
April 8th, 2018, 09:17 PM
I agree. For FCPX users, CinemaDNG RAW footage is a bag of total crap. Importing hundreds of thousands of images as individual screen grabs and assembling it all is just too much....even the Apple FCPX creatives couldn't figure out how to do it even with published workflows.

For those of us who want the latitude to color RAW without the hassle of FXCPX and CinemaDNG RAW, this would be just the ticket.

Ryszard Syryczynski
May 7th, 2018, 03:32 AM
I guess for many of us adding Prores RAW would prolong our cameras and recorders lifespan. So yeah - any news about this?

Simon de Swardt
June 6th, 2018, 03:57 AM
Is there any update on this?

Gary Huff
June 6th, 2018, 08:46 AM
I've heard rumblings that it might be an Atomos exclusive for now.

Craig Seeman
June 13th, 2018, 10:48 AM
I've heard it's a 6 month exclusive so it should start popping up in other places this fall.
I've love to see Blackmagic implement.

Ryszard Syryczynski
August 3rd, 2018, 08:26 AM
Dear Andy,

We are researching Apple ProRes Raw at this time.

We do not have any news to report right now.

Respectfully,

Is there anything new coming up with that?

Ryszard Syryczynski
October 18th, 2018, 03:33 AM
Still no news? It's been half a year already

Jose Carlos
July 14th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Still no news? It's been half a year already

I guess this is never going to happen at this point.

Gary Huff
July 14th, 2019, 12:44 PM
Personally, I'd rather see Blackmagic Raw implemented instead of ProRes raw, as there are more options for working with it (Premiere/Resolve).

However, at this point I think the evidence points to the Odyssey 7Q+ (which I own and use routinely) as being unofficially EOL'd.

Jan Klier
July 15th, 2019, 06:40 AM
However, at this point I think the evidence points to the Odyssey 7Q+ (which I own and use routinely) as being unofficially EOL'd.

Agreed. In the last year other than an occasional sighting of tech support there has been absolute silence from CD.

There is nothing wrong with that. Change happens and business goes through cycles. I still wish CD would be more upfront about this, so everyone knows where to stand. There is no indication on the website or anywhere else that this is going nowhere at this point. I would hate to be the person that buys one of these for good money only to find out it's essentially obsolete.

Jose Carlos
July 15th, 2019, 08:56 PM
Personally, I'd rather see Blackmagic Raw implemented instead of ProRes raw, as there are more options for working with it (Premiere/Resolve).

Has Adobe added BRAW support to Premiere? I only know of third party solutions or other workarounds, but no direct support.

Plus, I don't want to turn this into a codec war, but ProRes Raw is supported in more applications then BRAW is at this point (correct me if I'm wrong), plus, ProRes has a stronger foothold in the industry, thus, better prospects. BRAW is only currently supported in Resolve, as far as I know. If Edius can support ProRes Raw, why can't Premiere? I use all 3 major NLEs, and there's little reason to bother with Premiere at this point (Resolve is much better). I willing to bet that Premiere supports ProRes Raw before BRAW. Please don't sideline the thread (this is not about BRAW).

https://www.provideocoalition.com/prores-raw-coming-to-a-number-of-post-production-systems-at-nab-2019/

Back to the topic. Dan Keaton: Does CD plan to support ProRes Raw or not?

Thanks

Gary Huff
July 16th, 2019, 07:44 AM
Has Adobe added BRAW support to Premiere? I only know of third party solutions or other workarounds, but no direct support.

Third party is still a workable solution, unlike no solution whatsoever.

Plus, I don't want to turn this into a codec war, but ProRes Raw is supported in more applications then BRAW is at this point (correct me if I'm wrong)

Weird that you didn't list the applications: Filmlight, Assimilate SCRATCH, Colorfront, Telestream Switch, MTI Film, and Edius. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Edius is about the only 3rd party software on this list that the overwhelming majority of users on here have ever touched out of that list. Do you use any of that other listed software?

ProRes has a stronger foothold in the industry, thus, better prospects.

It's on Atomos...that's it.

Back to the topic. Dan Keaton: Does CD plan to support ProRes Raw or not?

The answer is "no".

Jose Carlos
July 16th, 2019, 06:08 PM
Third party is still a workable solution, unlike no solution whatsoever.

You implied that Premiere directly supported BRAW but not specifying that this support is provided by a third party. That was my only point.

Weird that you didn't list the applications:

Didn't need to list them. The point is this: more applications currently provide direct support for ProRes Raw then BRAW. Simple numbers really. DaVinci is the only one (1) with direct support at this moment.

Tt's on Atomos...that's it.
I was referring to ProRes codecs in general. Those are not only on Atomos, but widely used, thus my point that ProRes Raw might be more widely adopted at some point.

The answer is "no".

That may very well be and it certainly appears to be the case, but that question was specifically directed at Dan Keaton, not you.

Dan Keaton
July 17th, 2019, 07:56 AM
Dear Friends,

At this time we are not developing support for Apple ProRes Raw.

Respectfully,

Gary Huff
July 17th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Thank you for the confirmation, Dan.

Dan Keaton
July 17th, 2019, 03:24 PM
Dear Gary,

You are most welcome.

Respectfully,

Christopher Young
July 18th, 2019, 04:47 AM
I don't see ProRes Raw going far. Most camera manufacturers of any note have their own RAW versions so why would they want support a new RAW format which they have to get licensed for with Apple when they have their own. When it comes to existing hardware there are from memory about six different camera models that support ProRes Raw listed on the Atomos site. Not many in other words!

Software? Other than some very high end DI, encoding and finishing apps like:

SSIMILATE - nSCRATCH, FilmLight - Baselight, Daylight, MTI FILM - Cortex and Telestream - Switch and Grass Valley.

So there is no run of the mill NLE listed here unless you call Edius a run of the mill NLE. Edius is great product. I'm still a registered user, but it has one of the smallest user bases of any NLE. Highly doubt Resolve would ever go there what with Blackmagic's own BRAW development. At the moment to the best of my knowledge FCPX is about he only NLE that supports ProRes Raw natively so that totally outs the Windows world of PC editors other than those Edius users. Adobe are also dragging the anchor on this one to date.

Also with more and more cameras coming out with higher bit rates and better color depth codecs means shooters don't have to carry external recording kit as much as they used to in the past. These later camera based developments are not going to advance the take up of ProRes Raw to any great degree I would suggest. So much for all the furore that surrounded its release in April '18. If ProRes Raw hasn't made much traction in the fifteen months since it was released I don't see it surging ahead in a cloud of steam in the coming months, years. I could be wrong! I was once a long time ago, October 1962... but most people have forgotten and forgiven me that error :))

Chris Young
Sydney

Gary Huff
July 18th, 2019, 06:38 AM
I could be wrong! I was once a long time ago, October 1962... but most people have forgotten and forgiven me that error :))

Yes, despite your error we still landed on the moon, it just delayed it until '69.

Chris Hurd
July 18th, 2019, 08:05 AM
Edius is great product.

This is true. And not enough people know it.

...it has one of the smallest user bases of any NLE.

Which is their own damn fault, but that's a topic for a separate discussion.

...we still landed on the moon, it just delayed it until '69.

Has it been 50 years already? Seems like it was just yesterday.

Our readers may or may not be aware that Project Apollo is always on-topic, and therefore a most welcome subject of discussion, any time Dan Keaton's name appears.