View Full Version : Kinefinity Terra 4K

Pages : [1] 2

Troy Moss
April 10th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Just placed my Pre-Order on the Kinefinity Terra 4K! Will keep everyone informed of delivery, news, comments, etc.....!!! Here's an interesting review........

Kinefinity Terra 4k Review - YouTube

Troy Moss
May 19th, 2018, 11:27 PM
Introducing Kinefinity - YouTube

Andrew Smith
May 20th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Just been looking at a few of the videos on this camera and brand. Very interesting indeed!

Andrew

Troy Moss
May 21st, 2018, 05:48 PM
ProMoviemaker Magazine has just reviewed the Terra 4K and gives it a glowing 9 out of 10!
"Deserves to be a huge success, as it delivers in every department for this sort of camera"...

Doug Jensen
May 28th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Am I missing something? There's no viewfinder option at all and a fully-outfitted camera costs more than an FS7. I don't think the demo video looks that good unless you are really into crushed blacks. To top it off, Cinema DNG is one of the worst formats to work with. I don't get what the fuss is about.

Dan Gunn
May 29th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Doug, you are so wishy-washy!

Andrew Smith
May 29th, 2018, 10:06 PM
I thought crushed blacks were still trendy? :D

Andrew

Jim Feeley
May 30th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Am I missing something? There's no viewfinder option at all and a fully-outfitted camera costs more than an FS7. I don't think the demo video looks that good unless you are really into crushed blacks. To top it off, Cinema DNG is one of the worst formats to work with. I don't get what the fuss is about.

I hear you, but people have various opinions and needs for viewfinders and I think it makes some sense for a small company to not focus on spending limited resources developing EVFs. The Zacuto Graticals are fairly nice for the price, and I know I've worked lots of RED jobs with mainly an on-camera 5-inch or 7-inch monitor (and sometimes something bigger for the the focus puller). And I think this camera is meant to compete more with RED, perhaps Arri Mini, etc rather than FS7...

Those two videos, I'm pretty sure were shot by reviewers, not by Kinefinity. I'm not yet sure what the camera is capable of, but I'm not going to make a final judgment based on those.

And it looks like their cameras can record ProRes422HQ or their own RAW. The company advocates (it seems?) converting their RAW to CinemaDNG, and that format is kind of a pain (as are many RAW and single-frame/file formats, for that matter), but you don't have to go that way.

So these might still be interesting cameras. I want to wait to see what some other people think. And frankly, for my work, even though these are fairly low priced, they're not at the top of my "to buy" list. Still, interesting...

Troy Moss
June 6th, 2018, 09:46 PM
JEEP - AUTOBAI (2018) on Vimeo

Click on JEEP - AUTOBAI Text above....

Gary Huff
June 7th, 2018, 06:45 AM
The grading on that is just awful.

Dave Baker
June 7th, 2018, 08:00 AM
The grading on that is just awful. Ah! Glad it's not just me that thinks so.

John McCully
June 7th, 2018, 01:11 PM
The grading on that is just awful.

Most everything about it is awful in my humble opinion, and yes, especially the grading, the fast cut slomo and the dreadful soft cloud cover.

Troy Moss
June 7th, 2018, 05:40 PM
The Bridge & The Seal: Kinefinity Terra 4K test footage on Vimeo

CLICK on Text "The Bridge & The Seal" at top.......

Troy Moss
June 19th, 2018, 05:10 PM
€Š谁€‹ - YouTube Shot on Terra 4K (HD on YouTube).....

Troy Moss
July 3rd, 2018, 08:00 PM
This too was shot on Kinefinity Terra 4K (thanks John M. White)......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=mKkohpgPQl8

Troy Moss
July 3rd, 2018, 11:15 PM
用这一*,成就下一**限 Shot on Kinefinity Terra 4K - YouTube

Troy Moss
July 5th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Shot on Terra 4K (Drone shots Mavic Pro.......A few quick GoPro shots too).......FILMED BY TIMOTHY DANIEL JOHNSON (Thanks TD!!!).......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0OTy_bLYGc&feature=youtu.be

Troy Moss
July 21st, 2018, 12:12 AM
LAKES | SHOT ON KINEFINITY | TERRA 4K on Vimeo

Click on Title Line Above.....

David Peterson
July 24th, 2018, 04:00 AM

The Terra 4K has the wildly popular industry standard ProRes.

Also the Terra 4K brain costs only US$4K, that is an awful lot cheaper than a FS7!!

Yes, there are packages for the Terra 4K which are $5.5K and $7K (still less than the $9K a FS7mk2 costs!), but to compare these packages with additional options against a FS7mk2 isn't fair.

You should add the costs of a XDCA & 7Q+ to the Sony's price to get a vaguely similar comparable package, which is then adds another $3.5K to the $9K price of a FS7mk2 for a total of $12.5K! Waaaay more than a Terra 4K package.

Troy Moss
July 25th, 2018, 11:05 PM
My Terra 4K arrived today! Long wait, but it's finally here. Looking forward to posting some shots soon!!!

Troy Moss
July 25th, 2018, 11:56 PM
Kinefinity MAVO - First Look - YouTube

KINEFINITY MAVO (from ProAV)......

Doug Jensen
July 26th, 2018, 12:37 PM
The Terra 4K has the wildly popular industry standard ProRes.

Also the Terra 4K brain costs only US$4K, that is an awful lot cheaper than a FS7!!

Yes, there are packages for the Terra 4K which are $5.5K and $7K (still less than the $9K a FS7mk2 costs!), but to compare these packages with additional options against a FS7mk2 isn't fair.

You should add the costs of a XDCA & 7Q+ to the Sony's price to get a vaguely similar comparable package, which is then adds another $3.5K to the $9K price of a FS7mk2 for a total of $12.5K! Waaaay more than a Terra 4K package.

David, thank your for your answers to my questions. But why would I want to compare the Terra 4K to an FS7mk2 plus an XDCA and a 7Q+? That doesn't make sense. Even an original FS7 with no additional accessories or add-ons is more than enough to beat the features and capabilities of the Terra 4K. Furthermore, I will take XAVC-I over ProRes any day because the image quality is the same at half the file size.

Troy Moss
July 26th, 2018, 11:17 PM
The Kinefinity Terra 4K is just another tool, offered at a great price, that produces very good images. It's great to have several options (Sony, Canon, Panasonic, Black Magic, Red, Kinefinity, etc)!

Dan Brockett
July 27th, 2018, 03:32 PM
That Chinese clip at the top of this page looks awful, just a bad situation to try to make good looking images. But the Pro AV footage looks very nice. Seems like an interesting solution, especially for the indie filmmaker. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with the Terra Troy. Where did you buy it from and which lenses will you be using it with?

Troy Moss
July 27th, 2018, 10:44 PM
Hey Dan! Yes, as with EVERY new camera, footage varies from questionable to great (same when the Canon C200 and Panasonic EVA1 were launched)! I purchased my Terra 4K directly from Kinefinity. I've been watching these guys for the last 6 years. Finally decided to take the plunge on the Terra 4K. It checked the boxes for what I preferred. Wanted something different (I've owned every Canon cinema camera, up to and including the Canon C200). I'll be using it with a couple of Leica R lenses (Duclos De-clicked with EF mount conversion) and maybe a Zeiss CP.2.

Troy Moss
July 27th, 2018, 10:48 PM
https://youtu.be/aLPDz4OE7JQ

Cary Knoop
July 28th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Most everything about it is awful in my humble opinion, and yes, especially the grading, the fast cut slomo and the dreadful soft cloud cover.
What has the bad grading to do with the quality of the camera?

Frankly, I don't understand all this negativity about this camera. We should welcome competition from new companies, this keeps everybody on their toes.

Anyone knows how to obtain creative commons raw test footage to get a feel for how this camera grades?

Cary Knoop
July 28th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Furthermore, I will take XAVC-I over ProRes any day because the image quality is the same at half the file size.
They are both all-intra and use the same DCT technology.
I think that your claim is simply impossible.

John McCully
July 28th, 2018, 03:58 PM
What has the bad grading to do with the quality of the camera?

Frankly, I don't understand all this negativity about this camera. We should welcome competition from new companies, this keeps everybody on their toes.

Anyone knows how to obtain creative commons raw test footage to get a feel for how this camera grades?

Misread here. I wrote Everything about it is awful etc the subject it being the posted video. No negativity from me whatsoever about the camera (nor from the other posters that spoke about the grading, is my read). I do indeed welcome with open arms new gear, including the Kinefinity Terra 4K, and new companies that introduce new gear.

Cary Knoop
July 28th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Got it, thanks for the clarification.

Doug Jensen
July 28th, 2018, 07:19 PM
They are both all-intra and use the same DCT technology.
I think that your claim is simply impossible.

No, it is true. Do you not understand how one codec can be more efficient that another? ProRes was never intended for acquisition.

Cary Knoop
July 28th, 2018, 07:26 PM
No, it is true. Do you not understand how one codec can be more efficient that another? ProRes was never intended for acquisition.
Sure, I don't understand, that must be it........

I am not even going to argue this: XAVC-I gives the same quality as ProRes with only needing half the file size, believe it!

Have a nice day!

Doug Jensen
July 29th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Cary, I know you disagree with almost everything I say on the forums, so fortunately you don't have to take my word for it on this one. There are plenty of reputable sources that will tell you XAVC is a more efficient codec than ProRes. In other words, you get much smaller file sizes for the same image quality.

Here are a couple:

https://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/2080-ten-reasons-to-like-sony-s-pro-video-format,-xavc?page=1

"Better quality than traditional production codecs (eg ProRes or DNxHD) in less space. ProRes and DNxHD are examples of edit-friendly codecs that are easy to work with because they’re relatively simple, and use a low compression ratio. They give great quality at the expense of taking up a bit more room. The more sophisticated algorithms used in XAVC improve the quality for a given bitrate. Although the Sony format needs more computing power, with XAVC IntraFame, you will probably get the same quality as ProRes in around half the space, under optimal conditions. And working with smaller files just about compensates for the slightly greater computing load. (These aren’t Sony’s comparisons - they’re based on what we typically find ourselves.)"

XAVC vs ProRes 422HQ - Z Systems, Inc. (http://zsyst.com/2015/10/xavc-vs-prores-422hq/)

"I put our Odyssey 7Q on the camera and hooked it up for 4k recording using dual-link SDI inputs. This allowed me to record XAVC and ProRes 422HQ simultaneously, just to see if there was a noticeable difference between them. Check out the video to see if you can spot the difference for yourself. If you couldn’t see the difference, you are not alone. I did not see a difference when I was putting the footage together or in the final product. On top of not being able to see a difference, I was able to work with the XAVC footage natively in Final Cut Pro X just as easily as I did with the ProRes so there is no reason, edit wise, to shoot the ProRes. Add to that the stark difference in file sizes (the ProRes file was 2.7x larger), many productions could save quite a bit on camera media and storage by shooting XAVC."

Do a Google search and you'll find even more people saying the same thing.

Cary Knoop
July 29th, 2018, 08:52 AM
XAVC is simply H.264 wrapped in MXF OP-1a.

With comparable bit rates H.264 all-intra is roughly the same quality as ProRes, while H.264 long GOP needs roughly half the bitrate compared to all-intra for the same quality.

There is no magic, only marketing!

David Peterson
July 30th, 2018, 04:10 AM
A History of the Kinefinity company (google translate is your friend!):

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/kfL34lPKCA4ZO0f9VbBfWw

Another article which is in English though, worth a read:

Kinefinity ? Past, Present, Future | KineCommunity (http://kinecommunity.com/kinefinity-past-present-future/)

Troy Moss
July 30th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Kinefinity Mavo Samples on Vimeo

Cary Knoop
July 30th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Unfortunately, the samples above have some crushed blacks.

Gary Huff
July 31st, 2018, 12:17 PM
With comparable bit rates H.264 all-intra is roughly the same quality as ProRes

With comparable bit-rates, H.264 all Intra is better quality than ProRes because ProRes is based on MotionJPEG and H.264 is based on MPEG-4. MotionJPEG has been around since the mid-90s. It's very CPU efficient because the encoding isn't intense.

Cary Knoop
July 31st, 2018, 12:47 PM
With comparable bit-rates, H.264 all Intra is better quality than ProRes because ProRes is based on MotionJPEG and H.264 is based on MPEG-4. MotionJPEG has been around since the mid-90s. It's very CPU efficient because the encoding isn't intense.
It is somewhat better, but not dramatically.
And certainly not equal to ProRes with only half the bitrate as was suggested above.

Gary Huff
July 31st, 2018, 01:08 PM
It is somewhat better, but not dramatically. And certainly not equal to ProRes with only half the bitrate as was suggested above.

It would be, because MPEG-4 has higher quality encoding than MotionJPEG. What you are arguing is nonsensical.

Cary Knoop
July 31st, 2018, 01:20 PM
It would be, because MPEG-4 has higher quality encoding than MotionJPEG. What you are arguing is nonsensical.
So what are you claiming Gary that H.264 all-intra is twice as efficient as ProRes or only XAVC-I?

Gary Huff
July 31st, 2018, 01:30 PM
So what are you claiming Gary that H.264 all-intra is twice as efficient as ProRes or only XAVC-I?

At least twice. It's three generations ahead of MotionJPEG, what about that do you not understand?

Doug Jensen
July 31st, 2018, 06:58 PM
Yes, at least twice as efficient. As I said, ProRes is (was) a nice codec but not very efficient and was never intended for acquisition in the first place.

Cliff Totten
July 31st, 2018, 08:13 PM
ProRes is a great quality CODEC today but let's all agree that it's now a dinosaur. Yes, it will STILL give you fantastic quality and HQ is very durable in post against stretching and bending and lifting. However, it was created in a time when computers were MUCH slower than they are today. It uses relatively simple DCT calculatuons that literally go back to the early days of .jpg compression.

H.264 is FAR more advanced, effecient and just plain "smarter". Not just long GOP and the estimation tools and entropy calculations but in all I frame too!

Look at the Lumix GH5's 10bit 400mbp/s h.264 all I frame CODEC. If you have ever shot 10bit V-Log with it, you will see that its pretty damn durable. Just as tough as ProRes but lighter weight.

I like both CODECS but I see it like this:

H.264 All I frame = Tough durability, light weight but need more CPU playback hoursepower.

ProRes HQ = Tough durability, heavy on size but easy playback on low horse power CPU computers. (Good if you have a five 4k camera multi-cam editing job on fat RAID drives)

I like them both but for different reasons.

CT

Troy Moss
July 31st, 2018, 11:44 PM
'Magpie' - Short Action Film - Kinefinity Terra 4k - YouTube

Thanks for all the Codec discussions. Now, back to the Terra 4K (watch this short action film)

Filmed with Kinefinity Terra 4K

Only one film light used for 3 shots (Aputute f7)

Doug Jensen
August 2nd, 2018, 11:39 AM
Troy, will you be posting some of your own work soon? How are the files to work with in post?

Troy Moss
August 5th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Good Day Dan! Just recently received the batteries for my Terra 4K (batteries are shipped in a separate package). I should have some time within the next two weeks to get some footage posted. I'll be working with DaVinci Resolve in Post.

Troy Moss
August 5th, 2018, 11:37 AM
南風 The south wind - YouTube

Cary Knoop
August 5th, 2018, 12:41 PM
Excellent footage!

It is clear that this camera has a great dynamic range and a good highlight roll-off!

Cary Knoop
August 6th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Found this morning on their website! I take three, or get the MAVO for the same price!