View Full Version : UWOL 47 - Tales of wonders and woes

Trond Saetre
May 2nd, 2018, 08:45 AM
As always, interaction between the players is encouraged.
What goes great, what did not go as planned, and everything in between, about the making of your UWOL 47 films.

Hope all of you have found an idea for your entries. Don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions.
Have fun, and bring it!

Trond Saetre
May 14th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Two weeks into the challenge, and it is totally quiet here. Whoa!
Hope this means that everyone has found an awesome idea and is busy making their entries.

Gordon Hoffman
May 15th, 2018, 10:19 PM
No wonders or woes yet. Still thinking on which way to go with this and been kind of busy with other things.

Gordon

Trond Saetre
May 16th, 2018, 04:43 AM
Hoping for many wonders and very few woes. :)

Vishal Jadhav
May 28th, 2018, 10:16 PM
Its been so long that i had to come back to look at the Theme today, not yet shot a frame but waiting for something to happen "Monsoon" going to be touch and go but only a idea exists as of now.

Andrew Hood
May 30th, 2018, 08:08 AM
I have some footage, not enough for the entry yet, and I still need to (re)view it to see if it's any good. I think my idea can work if I get the required shots. But that might be hard as I've started a temporary intern position which will keep me busy for June. So maybe if I can get what I need on weekends I can put something together.

Managed to see some wildlife, but not all easy to capture. Was about 6m from a lyrebird but all I could do was stand and watch, just lowering my gear slowly to the ground in preparation of getting the camera out scared it off. I was wondering why I struggled so much carrying my gear for the 3km round trip - weighed it when I got back (backpack full of DSLR lenses, camera case with accessories, plus video tripod)... 27kg worth! Better keep up the strength training ;-) or maybe take a few less lenses, but I like options.

Paul Mailath
June 1st, 2018, 06:08 PM
damn - I don't believe this! - I have some footage, pretty simple but it's something and I've run out of time. I'm heading off in 3 hours to work on TV commercials interstate for a week.

Trond Saetre
June 2nd, 2018, 06:41 AM
Don't worry, Paul. After.you are done with the commercials, you still have a couple weeks left of June. ;)

I got some footage of birds. But Norwegian birds must be lazy, at least until two seconds after you shut down the camera. Then the birds in a mysterious way come back to life again.
Maybe I should call my film "4 minutes of sleepy lazy birds."

Paul Mailath
June 5th, 2018, 11:10 PM
what a dummy - I thought time was up - I'm back and good to go

Trond Saetre
June 22nd, 2018, 11:40 AM
Remember to request the upload details from uwol@dvinfo.net

Hope the silence here means you all are busy making wildlife films.
Have fun!

Bob Safay
June 22nd, 2018, 04:42 PM
Well I got my footage shot, now all I need to do is finish the story (I hope).

Trond Saetre
June 23rd, 2018, 12:54 PM
Good to hear, Bob!
My wildlife is playing hide and seek. I have a few minutess of partly useful footage... but only a few seconds of each specie. Not exactly what I wanted. We'll see what the next week brings of good luck.

Bob Safay
June 27th, 2018, 06:00 PM
Trond, did you make a ruling on using video original shot in the past to be used in a present challenge?

Trond Saetre
June 28th, 2018, 12:35 AM
The rules remain unchanged for this challenge.

What I said, was that we might have some dedicated challenges once in a while, where we allow more previously shot footage.

Bob Safay
July 1st, 2018, 02:03 PM
Has anyone received upload instructions?

Trond Saetre
July 1st, 2018, 09:01 PM
Sorry for late reply, Bob. Just woke up here. Check your email.

Trond Saetre
July 2nd, 2018, 01:25 AM
For UWOL 47, we have reached a new record: only one submitted film, an all time low!
Depressingly sad.

The film will be published later today.

Andrew Hood
July 2nd, 2018, 03:09 AM
I got some footage, but ran out of time to put it together. The good news is I've had more regular work lately. The bad news is less time for other things. So back to the shark tank for me.

Tony McGuire
July 2nd, 2018, 03:56 AM
I had footage after some long days of recording the pond in our back garden as birds come and have a bath in it. I was finishing another project that I was working on and got it finished but deleted the wrong project folder. I spend Friday trying to recover it but no luck. I am off the shark tank again.

Trond Saetre
July 2nd, 2018, 05:41 AM
Ouch! Sorry to hear that, Tony!
Hope you will be able to recover the footage again.

Lorinda Norton
July 2nd, 2018, 07:47 AM
That is sad, Trond, and I feel terrible about not submitting an entry. I thought about it every day, yet opportunities eluded me both months. Along with that, shooting wildlife is generally a rather solitary endeavor, and I really don't feel comfortable striking into the woods alone. Sure, I could have found some ants at home, but it wouldn't have been very compelling video.

My one shot at an actual story didn't pan out because I flew to Canada on the very day some wild horses were returned to the desert after being rounded up when their habitat was destroyed by fire two years ago. The upside to that? I finally got to meet my long-time Kiwi friend from DV Info, Owen Dawe! We met in Banff, Alberta. I took my camera in hopes of running across something, but it didn't happen. On my last day I got to a lookout point mere minutes after a moose and her young one had finished grazing and rounded the river bend. Or so I was told.

Hang in there. Maybe next time will be more favorable for shooting.

Trond Saetre
July 2nd, 2018, 08:05 AM
Good to hear at least some of you were working on films, even you weren't able to submit.

Vishal Jadhav
July 2nd, 2018, 10:24 PM
This round was strange for me, over the period actually i have been able to get a lot of footage but when i sat down to look at if i could do any decent story out of it, it failed the test.
Guess next time may be the time.

Paul Mailath
July 3rd, 2018, 12:03 AM
Didn't make it yet again - I'm going to keep trying though, looking on the bright side there are a few of us that must be on first name terms with the sharks in the tank.

Trond Saetre
July 3rd, 2018, 01:11 AM
The uwol sharks say they have had way too much company lately! ;)

Mick Jenner
July 3rd, 2018, 02:49 AM
No excuses,

As my school reports would often read "Failed miserably! Could, should and can do better"

A big deep drive this month.

Mick

Phil Murray
July 6th, 2018, 10:04 AM
I thought I’d have time, but closing out my life and retiring to Peru took most of my time.

Now that I high in the Andes with the Amazon rainforest very near, I really don’t have an excuse any longer.

Trond Saetre
July 6th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all the comments about why you were unable to make films for the challenge.
Hope you find time for the next (August) challenge.

Paul Wood
July 10th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Phil, retiring to Cuzco!!!!

Apart from being jealous, I really hope you find time to film - I spent nearly two years in Brazil after finishing work, and managed to make some great films. I spent a lot of time in Peru in the ‘80s and can only envy your choice of retirement home.

Looking forward to seeing some nice footage, at least of llamas!

Kind regards

Paul

Bob Safay
July 10th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Phil, Cuzco is a beautiful place. Enjoy it! Bob

Mick Jenner
July 11th, 2018, 03:04 AM
Phil, that sounds a great place to retire to. Enjoy it up there with you head in the clouds. Great memories of the Altiplano. How has it take you to acclimatize to the altitude?

Phil Murray
July 14th, 2018, 08:03 AM
Thank you guys for the kind words and encouragement. Cusco (and all of Peru) is incredibly photogenic. I'm busy getting settled into my apartment, but have taken my camera out and shot a little just to get back in the hang of it. I'm glad I retired early leaving me with, hopefully, many decades to explore.

I can't even begin to describe the opportunities for shooting all kinds of stuff here. While I live high in the Andes, both the rich coast and the Amazon rainforest are very close and can be reached with a short, inexpensive flight. I LOVE the jungle and will spend a lot of time there. The only reason I don't live there is because it's more dangerous for expats to live and the hot, humid climate wears me out.

MIck, it didn't take me long at all to adjust. I was here in June for 2 weeks and I was fine in a day. When I arrived last Tuesday I didn't notice the altitude at all.