View Full Version : Advice and guidance please - "newby alert"

David S. Truman
May 26th, 2018, 01:32 PM
Learned contributors,
I have wanted a Canon XL for many many years. I recently got the chance to buy one.
I've got an XL-1S. I've never shot video before but have been a keen still photographer for very many years.
In my box I've also got X3 and X16 lenses, an EF adaptor and a 1.6 extender all the cables, batteries, charger and tapes.
I intend to shoot family, pets and wildlife.
I have been reading the instruction manual and searching the net. A couple of questions have come to light.
On some of the web clips I've seen the operator appears to have a small 5" or 7" monitor mounted on the hot shoe, being a spectacle wearer I can see the advantage in this, any suggestions as to which monitors are most compatible with the XL-1S?
There is no light in my kit. I won't need huge floodlights. Is the Canon VL10 Li suitable to mount on my camera?
Can anyone suggest if it is possible to use a two point hot shoe fitment for light and monitor?
I have EF lenses to try ( out of curiosity) I would however like to try my F1.2L 85mm FD lens on my XL, can anyone suggest a reliable XL-FD adaptor? I am aware of the multiplication factor on EF lens, and believe FD will be the same.
Any advice on the idiosyncrasies of the XL-1S gratefully received.
Many thanks for your time and trouble, your patience is appreciated.
Be lucky
David

Rainer Listing
May 26th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Congratulations on buying what was the best miniDV camera available at the time, that being approx 15 years ago, and miniDV really not saying much. Many people on this forum (me included) will fondly remember this camera. You still can buy tapes and firewire cards for downloadng the footage. DVD remains a popular format, so this camera if it keeps working still will do for your intended purpose. You probably can still buy an FD to XL adapter. The VL10 Li will fit on your camera if you are trying to maintain a vintage look, but if you're just after on-camera light there is a whole range of 36 LED lights which cost less than the VL 10 bulb and use hardly any power. It seems almost a pity that any current Panasonic, Canon or Sony bottom end cheap video camera will produce a much better image, have a much wider zoom range, use convenient more reliable media and do better in low light.

David S. Truman
May 27th, 2018, 07:52 AM
Rainer,
Thanks for your time and trouble.
The light does not have to be period specific, but MUST be compatible.
Sadly my box does not include the user manuals for the 1.6x extender or the XL-EF adaptor. Don't want to mess things up. I've tried finding them on download or for sale without success, even from Canon sites.
Can't wait to get this block of 10 night shifts out of the way then I can go play!!
Be lucky
David

Rainer Listing
May 27th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Weird double post.

Rainer Listing
May 27th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Hi David, not sure what you mean by compatible - an on-camera light is a light, almost any on-camera type LED light will do, it's not a hot shoe. Light shoe fittings may very slightly - whatever you get there might be a bit of variation in the fit, if it's still wobbly in your shoe after you lock it, put some tape in the shoe, if the light foot is slightly too big to fit, file it down. If you can't find a straight FD to XL adapter maybe you can chain some, XL to FE, FE to FD. Most extenders just screw onto the front of the lens, what you see is what you get, no need for a manual.

Don Palomaki
May 28th, 2018, 05:51 AM
Based on the 2x extender for the older Canon L2 system, it may well be that there is no real "user manual" for the 1.6x extender or EF adapter, just multi-language instruction sheets.

I do have a copy of the Canon Service Manual for the EF Adapter XL, and the Extender XL 1.6x as implemented for the original XL1 (don't know if any changes were made for the XL1s). It contains some similar information to what is on the instruction sheet, but may not contain all the information an end usre may want.

This old thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/16115-lens-adapters.html
seems to indicate the older FD lenses work, but I have no personal experience with that. And see:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/67044-xl2-ef-lens-adapter-ef-lenses-eos-lens.html
for extensive discussion of the EF adapter on XL-series miniDV camcorders.

David S. Truman
July 31st, 2018, 12:59 PM
Learned contributors,
"On some of the web clips I've seen the operator appears to have a small 5" or 7" monitor mounted on the hot shoe, being a spectacle wearer I can see the advantage in this, any suggestions as to which monitors are most compatible with the XL-1S?"
Any suggestions please,
Be lucky
David

Pete Cofrancesco
July 31st, 2018, 05:35 PM
When picking a field monitor there are the following factors to consider
1. resolution, preferably the same as your filming
2. size, 5” for hand held run n gun, 7” for tripod
3. brightness, outdoor it’s important but also expensive
4. connection, xl1 is probably rca composite
5. price, once you know 1-4 you can narrow it down on b&h and pick what you can afford

Don Palomaki
August 1st, 2018, 05:06 PM
4. connection, xl1 is probably rca composite

FWIW: Available XL1s video output connections include 4-pin IEEE1394 (aka: Firewire), S-video, and Composite.

Pete Cofrancesco
August 1st, 2018, 07:49 PM
So it only outputs interlaced standard def via svideo and composite.