View Full Version : Sony FDR-X3000 - any input?

John Nantz
June 7th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Time for another cam and it’s decision time.

I now this board is all about cams, and basically the more Pro-type cams; however, I would like to get an Action Cam that would keep my other cams company and where it’s footage would join in on the timeline. The primary use will be for recording footage on a sailboat where being close to the water and in sometimes wet situations it can capture footage that the other land-loving cams won’t (because I don’t want to ruin them).

By the way, this is in the not-so-balmy Northwest where the water in the summertime runs around 40ºF so it won’t be used when swimming or under water (at least not intentionally!). Life expectancy without a wet suit in the water is typically less than about 30 minutes (or maybe less) so this would definitely not be used for under water use. Oh … maybe for examining the underside of the boat, like maybe the prop or knot meter, but that is all I can think of.

The short list I’ve been looking at is the Sony FDR-X3000 and the GoPro Hero 5. I really like this Sony model because of the BOSS (Balanced Optical Stabilization System) lens but it is, or was until a week or so ago, about $150 (US) more than the GoPro bundle. The GoPro bundle includes a small case, small tripod, and a couple other little items. Also in the past couple weeks Sony has been offering a $30 rebate on the X3000 which brings the price down to $370. Best Buy (maybe some stores) is offering a free Sony PFVCTSC1 suction cup mount ($30 value) and $25 to spend in store. Personally, I can’t think how the suction cup could be used in my situation but there are accessories the money credit could be used for. Best Buy does have a standard open box price of $313.99 with limited availability.

Reading the tea leaves: There is only one new news item about a possible new Sony action cam that I’ve been able to find and that has to do with a FCC application. On the other hand, all this discount activity at the beginning of summer season (at least we’re approaching it here) causes me to think there may be a new model around the corner. In fact, A Best Buy sales person said there appears to be a limited supply of the X3000. Hmmm… Hot item and they’re getting sold out? Or inventory reduction?

What to do, get the current discounted model or wait for the replacement (that may never come this summer)? And what would the replacement offer? HDR? Color LCD screen? More menu options like better face tracking? Better focus? The AX700, compared to the AX100, has a large addition on the side of the cam which is probably to process all the new electronic menu features. If a new X3000 model came along it would probably have either limited menu features or need to be slightly larger.

Better price?, They probably won’t go that far! The AX700 was the same price as the AX100 (if I remember) but added more features.

It’s all about trade-offs. And what do I really need? The existing Sony model is good enough and I’ve finally come around to feeling that the additional cost for the BOSS is worth it over the Hero 5. The boat has a lot of movement due to wave action and the BOSS will really help in that regard. When it starts getting rough the helmsman won’t be holding a cam and none of the crew (or the Admiral) will, either, so the cam decision is going to be for the x3000. It’s stable mates the footage will have to cut with are the AX53 and the AX700. Can’t wait until August 31 for the IFA show (this is a deal breaker).

In use, the focus in tight quarters where people may be moving around will be important. The footage cutting together will be very helpful. The iPhone can be used for basic remote control (I’ll probably have to rig up some kind of a sun shade so see the screen better). It’s battery system is different from all my other cams but it’s USB micro cord for transferring footage may be the same (not verified yet). The white case is known to show scratches easily (real bummer - I like to keep my gear in nice condition).

I know this was a long post but wanted to cover all the bases to minimize speculation. There is no way they can put a big slab on the side like on the AX700 and still call it an Action Cam. Just wondering if there is anything I may have overlooked that might affect decision making and also wondering about any limited cam or menu capability.

Management: if there is a better place for this thread please feel free to relocate it. Over Water???

Mark Watson
June 7th, 2018, 11:32 PM
Hi John,

Just wanted to point out that the X3000 does not have a screen for composing or reviewing your shots. I love the X3000. Got five of 'em. I suction cup them to drift cars and I can sort of get them lined up close enough without a viewfinder, but I got a Zacuto EVF to hook up via micro HDMI to make it more precise.

Another thing I would consider... the X3000 will overheat in the waterproof case, which you would probably use if out in the weather and on the water.

I have the GoPro Hero 5 as well. The touch screen and ability to accurately compose a shot is great. I haven't tested for overheating because the image stabilization that they introduced proved to be not as good as the BOSS (no surprise there I suppose). So I haven't used it much.

The X3000 can take a drop and keep working. I had two of them fall off a vehicle while doing my stabilization testing in Guam, where I put them on a Hummer and drove the back roads. Suction cup came loose twice and it fell on the road. No damage. Had one get flung off a drift car rather violently and it still works. Lost the battery cover and has some road rash, but works just fine.

I've moved back to the Pacific Northwest now, up on Whidbey Island. Great to be back, finally!

Mark

John McCully
June 8th, 2018, 12:41 AM
For the limited shooting I have done while on the water I have used a Sony AX100 and more recently a Lumix G85 with a wide angle lens attached. Now let me hasten to point out that I'm sailing in protected waters and not the open wild Pacific ocean. I have been contemplating getting a x3000 but as yet have not pulled the trigger. I also have a drone, a Phantom Pro Plus which shoots 4k 60p and I plan to get that thing flying alongside one of these days.

I believe the Sony FDR-X3000 to be a very good choice for an action cam to have onboard and is on my shopping list.

Paul Cronin
June 8th, 2018, 05:56 AM
Hi John,

Thanks for the email. I have two 3000 and still use my 1000. All kinds of mounts. Use them as C-cams for my show, "In and Out of the Boat Shop". Which I know you have viewed.

Worth going through all the settings and finding what works best for your use. The 3000 tends to lose connection to the wrist remote more then the 1000 which I why I still have the 1000. Since at times I have it on another boat I am filming to have a close up of the driver or some detail. Lets me start rolling at the same time.

Thanks for inviting me to the thread. DVinfo is great

John Nantz
June 8th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Hi John,
Just wanted to point out that the X3000 does not have a screen for composing or reviewing your shots. I love the X3000. Got five of 'em. I suction cup them to drift cars and I can sort of get them lined up close enough without a viewfinder, but I got a Zacuto EVF to hook up via micro HDMI to make it more precise.

Another thing I would consider... the X3000 will overheat in the waterproof case, which you would probably use if out in the weather and on the water.
Got 5 of 'em??? Wow! Any more and you’d have to get a second Live View wrist strap!

Overheating in the waterproof case: That is a concern and raises some questions. The cam is advertised as "splash resistant", so where is the dividing line between "splash" and the next level, like really wet? Since it has a microphone would water getting in past the little mic holes ruin it?

The cable connectors are behind a cover with an O-ring seal so they should be reasonably protected from something slightly more than a splash. The mic holes are facing forward where the spray would likely come from and I don’t think there is a work-around. Perhaps some tape over the mic holes and record audio on another device?

I would anticipate some salt-water splashing, drizzle, and rain, but nothing beyond that, and if I needed to do any underwater video then it'd be with the case and not for very long, such as doing a look-see at the prop for example, with it on a boom-pole. I have some wet suit gear on board but would prefer not to suit up.

I have the GoPro Hero 5 as well. The touch screen and ability to accurately compose a shot is great.
The ability to compose a shot is a nice feature. I’d plan on using an iPhone to find out if this works well enough but the Wrist Monitor while having a smaller viewing area would be handy for being more hands-free. Wouldn’t want my phone to go overboard.

The X3000 can take a drop and keep working. I had two of them fall off a vehicle while doing my stabilization testing in Guam, where I put them on a Hummer and drove the back roads. Suction cup came loose twice and it fell on the road. No damage. Had one get flung off a drift car rather violently and it still works. Lost the battery cover and has some road rash, but works just fine.
Dang, that cam is rugged! I was concerned about the BOSS system because of the gimbals perhaps being delicate so that’s good news.

I've moved back to the Pacific Northwest now, up on Whidbey Island. Great to be back, finally!
Welcome back! And it probably a relief that the Korean issue is winding down.
While you’re more in to motor sports, for info, the Race to Alaska (R2AK) is kicking off in Port Townsend on June 14 at 5 AM but a lot of the action will be on the 13th, so if you have any sailing buddies that might be interesting for them.

Thanks for all the good feedback.

John Nantz
June 8th, 2018, 12:38 PM
John -
I also have a drone, a Phantom Pro Plus which shoots 4k 60p and I plan to get that thing flying alongside one of these days.
Having a video of one's boat under sail would be a dream come true. I've go lots of videos of other people's boats but for ours, only views from the deck.

I've seen kite and drone videos others have taken (boat selfies?) and they're really nice.

I believe the Sony FDR-X3000 to be a very good choice for an action cam to have onboard and is on my shopping list.
I'm wondering if a new model is just around the corner so waiting for spring (down under), who knows, it just might happen.

John Nantz
June 8th, 2018, 12:42 PM
Management: if there is a better place for this thread please feel free to relocate it. Over Water???
Just noticed there is another (maybe better?) place for this thread - under Micro / POV Camera Systems

-= John =-

Paul Cronin
June 8th, 2018, 12:44 PM
John,
The Sony is waterproof. I have had all of mine under water for long periods of time. Some in prop wash filming drives in action and never had a problem. Also put them under filming foils on boats while sailing in the clear ocean water and again never a problem. Just don't ever store them closed up.

Paul Cronin
June 8th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Also just received notice from B&H there is new firmware for all their POV's.

Mark Watson
June 8th, 2018, 02:05 PM
John N.,
Yep, glad to bug out of that part of the world.

I would recommend getting the protective cover for the lens. I found it also helps with allowing me to tape a variable ND to the front of that front glass. Just adds a level of protection in the event your camera gets dropped on the lens.

All the access covers (battery, memory card, HDMI/USB port) have 0-rings, I've just never submerged the camera except while inside the waterproof case. From what Paul says, I guess you have nothing to worry about.

If you're looking for suction cup options, I have tried several types and I like the Gecko and the one provided by Sony for this camera. That sucker really sticks, almost too well. But keep the sticky surface clean and dry. For ones like the Gecko, I know somewhere it says to make sure the surface is dry, but I've done tests which show a slightly damp (as in wet it and wipe it nearly all off) surface creates a better adhesion than a completely dry surface. This goes for metal or glass. But do your own testing. On cars, I tried to always use a safety lanyard where practical.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1280978-REG/sony_aka_mcp1_mc_protector_for_select.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

Mark

Paul Cronin
June 8th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Mark,

I might not have been clear, but I only use the camera in the waterproof case. And of course fresh water it after use, since I use it in saltwater.

Interesting attachment without case. Be nice to add ND's.

Agree on the suction cups, I wet my finger and run it around the edge of the suction cup right before applying. And also always use safety line.

Some of my attachments are:
camera on end of short carbon pole
Camera on end of mono pod
Camera on gimble mount on stern rail
Camera on stanchion mount custom
Camera on spin pole
working on a half dozen more for this season

They are tough little cameras

Mark Watson
June 8th, 2018, 04:03 PM
The BOSS is really great on those cams. Some 3rd party software I sometimes use is Dashware. Takes the GPS file recorded by the camera and can be used for putting speedo gauges and route maps in your videos. Might be other software that does the same, but the price was right (free) and it was easy to use.

I don't think you can buy the wrist watch remote all by itself. I had to buy it as part of a package deal with another camera. Fortunately, the watch can control up to five cameras. Haven't tried it with a smart phone, maybe that method works better. I got too many dropped connections to be able to use the remote reliably.

Mark

John Nantz
June 8th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Paul - question here ...
John,
The Sony is waterproof. I have had all of mine under water for long periods of time. Some in prop wash filming drives in action and never had a problem. Also put them under filming foils on boats while sailing in the clear ocean water and again never a problem. Just don't ever store them closed up.
Question: Because you say to don't store the cam when it is closed up is it safe to say it was in the waterproof enclosure when doing those videos?

Since you have three cams and Mark has five of 'em (but he's using them on cars so his setup may be different), for sailing videos (not prop or fin keel testing) have you used any of them together as in Multicam or B-roll? If so, was it advantageous?

Reason I'm asking is I'm kinda thinking about getting a used/open box item for this season to have something to play with then waiting for the new model when it comes out.

Edit: just read your newer post about using the waterproof enclosure when underwater.

John Nantz
June 8th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Mark - Great idea there ...
I would recommend getting the protective cover for the lens. I found it also helps with allowing me to tape a variable ND to the front of that front glass. Just adds a level of protection in the event your camera gets dropped on the lens.
... about the ND filter addition. Based on the weather forecast it wouldn't be needed for the next week but maybe, hopefully, next month ...

If you're looking for suction cup options, I have tried several types and I like the Gecko and the one provided by Sony for this camera. That sucker really sticks, almost too well. But keep the sticky surface clean and dry. For ones like the Gecko, I know somewhere it says to make sure the surface is dry, but I've done tests which show a slightly damp (as in wet it and wipe it nearly all off) surface creates a better adhesion than a completely dry surface. This goes for metal or glass. But do your own testing. On cars, I tried to always use a safety lanyard where practical.
I've also noticed that a slightly moist or damp suction cup tends to hold better. After reading your post above, yes, the extreme field testing one, ;-), being experienced in this we can definitely trust your advice!

Mark Watson
June 8th, 2018, 05:41 PM
About multi-cam with the wrist band remote...
I did shoot a band one time and I set up two of the X3000 cams to get an angle of the keyboardist and lead guitar player from the back and it worked out pretty good. I was able to prolong battery life by remotely turning off the cams in between songs. The remote let me switch between cameras and see each camera's view and turn them on/off, record/stop independently. But even with them just being 25 feet away, I still had occasional dropped connections. With all the time code options, multi-cam syncing was easy. (Set camera time/date to match to the second, and then set time code for free run.)

Mark

John Nantz
June 8th, 2018, 10:43 PM
Paul -
Since you really like tricking out your boats, and after seeing your web site, this guy Russell Brown in Port Townsend is on your wavelength: https://gougeon32.blogspot.com
He’s doing a lot of (based on what little I know about the stuff) fancy fiberglass work. Very detail oriented and obviously a lot of technical skills. Reminds me of your work.
He’s trying to get ready for the R2AK (Race to Alaska) next week. Needs a furler that was ordered in plenty of time but not delivered, so he’s frantically looking for a substitute. Sails a tri. See sailing anarchy (one word) dot com and R2AK.

Meanwhile, Back on topic:
Read over your attachments list and there’s a few “~ easy starter” ones and then things start to get progressively more difficult:
Custom stanchion mount
Gimbal mount for the stern rail
Spinnaker pole? That is interesting
And the “working on a half dozen more” list. Yea! (Are we having fun yet?)

Getting the cam is the easy part, some of the attachments are going to be the killers.

Mark -
Read your comment about the wrist band Live View Remote availability as a separate item then did some searching. You know, back near the end of May when I was scoping this out I came across a web page that had all three of the remotes on it. I *thought* it was a Sony page but I couldn’t find it again. You could be very well right on this.

There are three action cam remotes: RM-LVR3 (support said it comes with the x3000 back then but I think the Philippines have this wrong), the RM-LVR2 and the RM-LVR1. For the most part, only Amazon and eBay seem to have these and B&H has one on their site. Buying the cam with the remote ups the price. Also, another little detail, Not all remotes work with all cams.

Then, what you said about Bluetooth control and 25 feet … there are quite a few posts citing poor distance, some even talking INCHES. And then there’s the problems with dropouts. Still, I think a remote is a must-half for the boat. If I can’t find a package deal then I’ll use the iPhone app for the time being and keep an eye out for the remote separately.

Thanks for the heads-up about the remote.

Mark Watson
June 9th, 2018, 12:08 AM
I bought the FDR-X3000R kit, which was the X3000 camera and RM-LVR3 bundled together. That was at Yodobashi Camera in Japan. The same thing is available at B&H. Yodobashi's web-site shows the RM-LVR2 and RM-LVR1, both apparently still available as stand-alone products. B&H just shows the RM-LVR2 for $148. They include a list of compatible cameras, and the X3000 is listed. The RM-LVR1 is about $75.

https://www.yodobashi.com/community/product/100000001001874288/review.html

Paul Cronin
June 9th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Paul - question here ...
Question: Because you say to don't store the cam when it is closed up is it safe to say it was in the waterproof enclosure when doing those videos?

Since you have three cams and Mark has five of 'em (but he's using them on cars so his setup may be different), for sailing videos (not prop or fin keel testing) have you used any of them together as in Multicam or B-roll? If so, was it advantageous?

Reason I'm asking is I'm kinda thinking about getting a used/open box item for this season to have something to play with then waiting for the new model when it comes out.

Edit: just read your newer post about using the waterproof enclosure when underwater.

John,

I do you all three together. But same experience as Mark, the connection drops off all the time on the 3000. On the 1000 I have better experience with the connection. As for running all three at once I do that all the time. But with out the remote. I have them mounted, frame the shot, and always have them in the waterproof case, then go around and turn them on.

Paul Cronin
June 9th, 2018, 07:55 AM
John,

Yes, I know Russell Brown, and Paul Bieker. They do a lot of very cool stuff. The R2AK looks like a blast. But hard for me to leave New England when it is the best time of year. If I do I normally race from San Fran to Hawaii, that ride has been worth it.

As for attachments/mount for the cam I have so much gear in my studios from mounting all kinds of cameras over the last 35 years that I just go to my shop and build mounts. Take them on the boat and of course always modifying them.

Reason I store with the door of the waterproof case cracked open is the change in temp and pressure can create a leak. Same as when you fly or travel in the car. Better to not stress the seals. Also make sure they are clean and I use very, very, little super lube grease on the seals.

John Nantz
June 9th, 2018, 10:33 PM
Mark -
Nice picture of the cam with it’s remote. I tried to find information about the differences between the remotes but stuck out. Went on to looking at accessories and there are lots them. Getting the cam with the LVR3 really bumps the cost up for something I don’t even know if I really need it.

Went to a somewhat nearby Best Buy to see what I could find out but even though it seemed like a big store they didn’t carry the Sony action cams. Wound up talking to a nice young salesman (appeared just out of high school) about accessories and found out he has the X3000 and a number of other Sony cameras. He does photography and wedding videos to supplement his BB income and was very knowledgeable. Didn’t ask him about the remote because I hadn’t read your thread yet. During the course of the discussion about accessories he mentioned that the X3000 doesn’t use a standard 1/4-inch accessory screw. WHAT?

Couldn’t believe it, but hey, it’s a Sony and they’re known to be proprietary so it’s believable. Spent the rest of the afternoon and evening trying to find out about this special thread but haven’t got anywhere. One ad called it a “camera screw (1/4) (S-Type)” and that’s the best I could find.

Paul -
Re: #18 Have you or Mark any idea if the Bluetooth range is any better with an iPhone? For the first cam I’m thinking about passing on the remote option. Maybe when the new one comes out it’ll have a slightly longer range (like the 1000?).

Brown and Bieker … you know these guys? 2,000+ miles apart - small world! The R2AK is not your average kind of race - lots of currents, winds all over the map, and if it can go wrong it will. At least one team is continuing onto Nome.

The Pacific Cup has been a popular race. Returning, though, is a LOT longer trip (unless the boat comes back on a ship). Of course, the volunteer crew get to take the plane back. Met a guy on a Baba in Alaska below Ketchikan and he lost his computer (and weather following) a few days out of Hawaii (spilled coffee on the laptop keyboard) but fortunately, he got his ham license just before leaving but weather forecasts aren’t quite the same. He was sailing solo.

Mounting accessories is going to be really important. I’ll have to watch your boat videos again to get some ideas about mounting locations. Super Lube - same stuff as Max Prop uses? Good suggestion!

Won’t be able to do any more on this until Thursday.

Mark Watson
June 9th, 2018, 11:34 PM
John N.,

The X3000 takes a standard 1/4" tripod screw. The hole is shallow, and the manual points this out, saying not to insert a screw more then 7/32nds long. I've had the camera mounted on a variety of Sony and non-Sony mounts; tripods, clamping tripods, multi-cam mounting bars and suction cups. No weirdness noted. Now, Sony does like to tinker with their LANC remote port protocol, but I was trying not to bring that up here.

When you say, accessory mount, I think of cold shoe on top. No such thing on these, even with the waterproof case there's no provision for mounting a mic or video light, etc.

I'd buy one camera and a couple batteries and give it a try, rather than go the whole hog and find out it doesn't work for your situation. You will need to be running from cam to cam to replace batteries about every 40 minutes. If you use that RM-LVR3, it will cut the time down some more, about half if you use the remote with the camera's Bluetooth turned on. The Bluetooth is needed to turn the camera on/off remotely. If you plan to turn it on/off manually, I think you can leave the Bluetooth setting OFF and get some extra battery time. Test, test, test.

I have not used a smartphone to control the camera, sorry can't comment on that.

Mark

Paul Cronin
June 10th, 2018, 07:01 AM
John,

Same as Mark here I have not used the phone. And buying one cam with out remote is a good start, but two batteries is needed.

I have known Paul Bieker since 1991 when I was doing the AC with A^3 in San Diego, one of my three cup campaigns. We are both NA's so had a lot in common to discuss.
For Pac Cup I did it on a Class 40 so fast ride, and I flew home. Been a long time since I was running the boats and did all the deliveries, rather be back cranking out my singlehanded miles against my buddies.

To wind the R2KA it takes the right boat, right mind set, and some luck. Good race

Steven Digges
June 10th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Hey John,

I love my FDR X3000. The BOSS system is mind blowing. I would not worry about a new release, just go for it.

You are going to want a suction cup. On your boat it will be a great tool. My suction cup is ridiculously large for this cam because I already had it for camcorders but it works. When mounted to the hood of my truck the engine vibration I can see with my eyes is terrible. The camera is vibrating at a high frequency. The BOSS takes almost all of it away. Truly shocking to see the result. To see if I could improve it I bought the Sony engine vibration adapter. It is a cheap plastic and rubber device that made things worse! It is in the junk pile.

As it stands right now I can not recommend the liveview remote because of the reasons already discussed. I will be upgrading to the new firmware this week and hoping that improves stability as claimed. I do use my phone for a monitor and remote control and it works quite well, Android & Sony Play Memories for me, don't know about your i-phone.

Spare batteries are a must, but there is good news. The camera, remote, and my android phone can all be powered or charged by 5V micro USB. So. I not only keep spare camera batteries in my kit I have other power options and charging options. Like USB batteries, car power adapters etc.

It is a great camera. Go for it!

Kind Regards,

Steve

Edit: Do not store the camera with the battery inside and the Bluetooth set to on. Even powered off it will drain the battery.

Steven Digges
June 10th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Update is BUGGY. Updated both the camera and remote, also Play Memories Mobil .

No love yet, can not see any improvement in stability/connectivity. In fact it is worse. Both the remoteview and the phone are now having trouble shutting off the camera. Fifty percent of the time when I hit "turn off" the camera, it does not work. Not only that it now repeatedly pings like sonar until you acknowledge the error message on the CAMERA. I mount this thing up in truss and other hard to get to places in live shows. I cant have it pinging away until I can get to it. Come on SONY, great camera but peripherals don't work!

Sony cautions you there is no way to reverse the update. I'm stuck with it!

Kind Regards,

Steve

Paul Cronin
June 11th, 2018, 06:42 AM
Steve,

Very sorry it is not a good update. Hope my notice that there was an update did not push you to do it? I always hold off some times for a year with updates from Sony, Apple, Adobe, and Black Magic. Just amazing how many of them have bugs.

Can you still make them work enough to keep them in service?

Steven Digges
June 11th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Hey Paul,

I got the same update notice as you from B&H. Went for it straight away hoping to improve the live-view remote connectivity. No dice. Tested it more yesterday. It is still buggy and inconsistent. With the RM-LVR3 it might connect a little bit more consistently at 3 feet. At 25 feet it connects sometimes but shuts off less often than it connects. The remote turns off and the camera does not. Hard to give numbers, the bottom line is buggy and inconsistent. Frustrating.

The update was also supposed to add the turn on/off function to the Sony app on my phone. It seems to have made everything more inconsistent. When turning the camera off with the phone even at short distance is when it can send the camera into error mode with the continuous ping. Frustrating. I'm 90% sure the live-view remote put it into ping mode once but it is mostly from the app.

The camera is fine. This is all about the bluetooth/wifi functions it is supposed to have. Fifty percent reliability is a no go.

Kind Regards,

Steve

This thread really should be in the micro/POV camera forum where many of us have already discussed this camera.

John Nantz
June 11th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Steve -
Hey John,

I love my FDR X3000. The BOSS system is mind blowing. I would not worry about a new release, just go for it. ...

It is a great camera. Go for it!

Kind Regards,

Steve

Steve -
How does that song go? "What a difference a day makes, 24 little hours ...."
What about 4 little hours?

Ouch! ... I feel really sorry for your situation. Dang!, what a mess. Probably not within the 90 day warranty period (if something like that is even covered). How does one "fix" this, ... ship it to a Factory Authorized Warranty Station? Hassle. $$$ Pain in the derriere.If you can't tell,I hate stuff like that.

After reading your post , just a little while ago (that was last night - tried to post this back then but this morning I see it didn’t take)) I called Best Buy before they closed and asked them if one bought a cam would the Geek Squad do the update before I left the store?
Answer: No, send it to Sony.
I had the impression their Geek Squad was supposed to be able to deal with these technical issues. Maybe I'll give Sony Support a ring tomorrow and see what they suggest.

With regard to the suction cup in the previous post (the one where you liked it four hours earlier), the boat basically has anti-skid on any flat surface and the rest of the surfaces are basically curved so I don't know how that'd work because generally they need a flat surface. Something for a 1-inch round rail would be helpful, though.

Sony AKA-MVA Vibration Absorber: Actually had that high on my accessory list but will definitely reconsider. There's a lot of other "parts" one can get with the money so thanks for the heads-up.

1/4" screw threads: apparently the problem is the shallow hole for the screw. According to the Help Guide: The length of the corresponding tripod screw should be less than 5.5 mm (7/32 in.).
Sony X3000 Help Guide [2]
A neoprene spacer would probably solve the problem for any long screw.
Based on the ads I've read it eems as though the X3000 is helping GoPro sell accessories.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll all be interested in how things work out, and Good Luck!

As for the best place to post this thread, I was unaware about the micro/POV camera forum. At the bottom of my first post I asked the question about a better location ([over land and]"over water"?) but the micro/POV would make better sense - I'm okay with that.

Mark Watson
June 11th, 2018, 08:25 PM
Something for a 1-inch round rail would be helpful, though.

I've been using clamping tripods for many years and they are worth having as a mounting/support option.
I have both the small and the larger one, and find the large one gets used much more, but that's for all kinds of general video and photo applications. For this little action camera, I've actually used the smaller (8" long) version to mount the X3000 to a post on a boat. You can find these by Googling "clamping tripod" or, for the small version, try "Promaster Clamper Jr". The larger one has been used on many hotel balcony rails, things up to around 3 inches in diameter. They can also stand on any flat surface with three points of contact to support a camera. I've used them with the 7D, 6D, AX100, AX53, etc. Very versatile.

Mark

Dave Sperling
June 11th, 2018, 08:43 PM
For smaller rails check out the Manfrotto Nano Clamp

Paul Cronin
June 12th, 2018, 06:03 AM
John,

I have a range of clamps and will take a pic or put it in my next video. But also recently bought two of these. Work well, but as with anything in saltwater you have to stay on top of it.

https://www.amazon.com/s//din02c-20

John Nantz
June 12th, 2018, 01:32 PM
I really like those Promaster clamps! They’re something that an Engineer could love. Lots of possibilities for mounting, knobs for tightening, and a huge number of potential angles.

There are numerous places with odd shapes available where I could mount one on. Like Paul points out, “with anything in saltwater you have to stay on top of it.” That will be another area to investigate: what one could spray to protect it without leaving a permanent undesirable coating afterward, if there is anything available.

The Manfrotto Nano is nice and would work on the railing. There would need to be some kind of ball mount to go with it for fine angle adjustments and there are many to choose from.

Ordered the X3000 so “it’s in the mail” so to speak, along with a spare battery and USB charger.

The charger is a Sony BC-TRX that uses a cable with a USB connector to plug it into the computer. The charge time via the computer is 265 minutes and that’s about 4.5 hours! However, I wonder if one of the white iPhone or iPad USB transformers can be used to also adapt it to AC. More research.

Paul - tried the link but I suspect part of it may be missing. I'm interested in what you have for adapters.
There is a radar mast on the stern (off to one side) that is about 2-inches in diameter, maybe a bit more, and that could provide a better cockpit view. Also, been giving some thought of using a couple EMT conduit pieces to form a temporary and removable A-fame support off the stern for a mounting point further aft so the shot looking forward would be more inclusive of the cockpit. Lots to think about.

Paul Cronin
June 12th, 2018, 03:20 PM
John,

Sorry the link did not work try it again from the MFG site. Some cool stuff for POVs.
SmallRig Multi-Functional Crab-Shaped Clamp with Ballhead Magic Arm 2164 - SmallRig (http://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-multi-functional-crab-shaped-clamp-with-ballhead-magic-arm-2164.html)

The Small Rig clamps look good for the price, but from my experience having snapped a few clamps time will tell on these. But $11 bucks and it is worth a try for a few. This weekend they will get a run.

I also use Cine Arms which I have a few:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1043735-REG/noga_mg9038ca_cine_arm_mg_hold_it.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801 (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1043735-REG/noga_mg9038ca_cine_arm_mg_hold_it.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801/BI/2855/KBID/3801)

To mount the Cine Arms I use different clamps. I can't find the one I have will take pics when sailing this weekend.

I also have two of these from Panasonic when I tried their POVs years ago.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1144777-REG/panasonic_bike_and_tripod_mount.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801 (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1144777-REG/panasonic_bike_and_tripod_mount.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801/BI/2855/KBID/3801)

And a few clamps from my pile of drum gear I collected over the years. A couple of these are great, but a lot heavier then most POV gear.

John Nantz
June 12th, 2018, 04:16 PM
The Small Rig Multi looks like a really useful accessory. When searching the sites (Amazon and eBay) have strips with “Customers also viewed … or Customers also bought …. “ where SmallRig and Camveta (sp?) showed up a lot. The comment “… from my experience having snapped a few clamps time will tell on these” reminds me I need to search for some tethers or at least rig something up.

Speaking of snapping, years ago I bought a set of three (daddy, mama, and baby one) look-alike vice grips at the checkout in a hardware store. It was a tough decision as the US made one cost as much as all three of them together. The first time I went to use the momma one the lower jaw broke off. Later I was talking to West Marine about how I won’t buy one of their shackles (for use on the anchor chain) because of my experience. Not long after they switched sources and went to shackles from Japan. Load handling gear such as used around cranes has a lot of safety requirements and ratings for cables, chains, shackles, etc. is a large part of the safety requirements. One’s ground tackle is just as important.

In the meantime I ordered one of the ProMaster Clamper Jr clamps to get started. I really like the looks of them; reminds me of a Swiss Army Knife. Unfortunately, they’re made out of steel, and certainly not stainless.

The Panasonic bicycle mount has a quick release link so I could use it on the bike as well. Besides being multi-purpose (boat and bike), the quick release is nice when going to the grocery store and leaving the bike outside.

Paul Cronin
June 13th, 2018, 06:00 AM
ProMaster Clamper Jr looks great and I am sure higher quality then the Small Rig.

Another items that is very helpful for fast battery charge is a wall charger from Sony.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913651-REG/sony_bctrx_travel_charger_for_x_g_n_d_t_r_k.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

Charlie Steiner
June 13th, 2018, 12:21 PM
I use my phone with the sony app for composing, settings and start/stop record.

John Nantz
June 14th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Charlie -
Using the iPhone for controlling things works pretty darn well, at least so far on the things that I have (recorder and cams). Just "inherited" my wife's old iPad a couple months ago as she got a new 12-inch model. Uses it a lot in lieu of her Mac laptop, so her old one is a real upgrade from my iPad 1,1 (which was also one of her hand-me-downs) and this one will give me more realestate for the app.

What'd be really nice is an app that can do split screen for two apps at the same time - like one for Sony and another for Tascam for example.

Paul -
The BC-TRX has a 1.5 hour charge time compared to the 4.5 hours for the one I'm getting. I had a really difficult time finding out details about the various Sony chargers for the BX1 batteries. Their web pages aren't the most helpful in the world. Some parts are good, some ... well, leave something to be desired. With the X3000 having a such a short battery life one needs some backups and at this point I've got two coming. Unless something else comes up I'll spring for the BC-TRX and then a true-sine inverter for the boat.

Yesterday we went to the kickoff for the R2AK in Port Townsend and got a chance to talk, albeit briefly, to Russell Brown as he was doing some last minute fix-its on the boat. The race had a 5AM start time this morning and out of a large fleet of contestants, including some very respectable sleds, he and his two-person crew did a horizon job on them and came in first into Victoria for the end of the first leg. Really impressive for such a small boat because waterline length generally rules.

Paul Cronin
June 18th, 2018, 06:22 AM
John,

The wall charger is worth the money. So much faster then USB into the POV. Did not use the POV this weekend sailing since it was a sail with Carol and we just needed a break.

But I did launch the drone while we were planning downwind with the kite. All was well for about one minute then lost contact. Yikes, kite down and back up wind to get it. Not sure what happen, and only had up and down control so we had to get under it with the main up and just saved it with 90 seconds of battery left. Entertaining.

Glad Russel Brown had a good leg. No surprise since he is very talented and has a ton of miles on his boat. will go check out the results. Just back at computer after four days pretty much offline, ah.

John Nantz
June 18th, 2018, 08:34 PM
A lot has happened in the past couple days. The action cam, I found out, takes a lot of other kinds of grip gear accessories (if that’s the correct term) compared to all my other cam stuff. Finding out what was needed took research and over the past couple weeks various items were ordered, and surprise … the first of them arrived on Friday then all the rest except one arrived on Saturday and the last one today.

Sony makes a number of battery charger models that will accommodate the NP-BX1 battery but one of Sony’s failings is being able to easily compare their features. It’s a real hassle to get information and I thought the one I had ordered used a USB cable running off of the computer for doing charging. At least the picture showed the cable with the charger. As it turned out, the charger that arrived is the BC-TRX you had recommended and it does charge much faster like you said. It has the folding AC wall plug and a USB receptacle plus a few LED charge state indicator lights. I … am … happy!

Got it and a spare BX1 battery based on what y’all had recommended and those were the Friday items. The cam with a bundle of accessories came on Saturday and the cam lens protector (all highly recommended) came today. Spent the better part of yesterday figuring out how to use the cam - t’wasn’t easy (for me) but got it going and talking to the app on the iPhone. Yesterday evening I mounted the cam on the bike (one of the bundled accessories was the handlebar mount) and I was amazed how well it did. Thought the picture would be bouncing a lot but it was surprisingly smooth so will be excellent on a boat railing (same diameter as the bike handlebar).

One thing that came Saturday morning was the ProMaster Clamper Jr that Mark Watson recommended and that is some piece of gear. Picked it up at the Post Office then headed off to the Seattle Girls Choir performance. Took along the AX53 just in case there would be some family shots. Got a front row seat in the balcony and with the Clamper Jr. set up on the railing I got some video of their performance. This, used for the first time impromptu, and only three hours after picking it up! Went to buy another one but they were sold out (paid $25 delivered). See picture with the AX53 and the Røde mic.

Mark: Thank You for the recommendation, this is one super piece of gear!

The Clamper Jr will be perfect for the FDR-X3000 and my wife’s HDR-CX380 handy-cam (but she says I can’t use it … we’ll see). The AX53 is just about max for it because so much of it’s weight is aft of the tripod screw hole that the ball joint clamp has to be tightened really tight. The ball joint can be removed and there is another 1/4-inch thread that can be used for mounting things and this mounting point would be able to accommodate somewhat heavier gear.

As for taking on-board video I’m ready to go equipment-wise. Operating it is going to be a steep learning curve and there is lots to know. The small size of the cam actually made the menu more difficult but the iPhone app helps but one has to watch battery life and dropped connections (I guess).

Things to figure out:
1. How to capture good on-board audio with weather and wind protection. Separate recorder? If so, how to get audio on the cam to sync with?
2. Quick release QR plate setup - go with GoPro gear or something else?
3. Tethers, what to get for cams, clamps, and maybe a recorder?

[Edit] Steven Diggs: What’s the story with the cam? Find out anything from Sony about how to deal with the firmware?

Paul - That was a real fire drill capturing the drone before its going into Davy Jone’s locker! Not something you’d like to loose.

R2AK: Russel was out in front of the fleet (really, really impressive) when I started writing this but sailing solo against crewed and much bigger sleds for several days will take it’s toll. He got an estimated six hours sleep last night according to one post but every time he stops the crewed boats can keep going so how he can keep that pace up is anybody guess. So far, so good.

Mark Watson
June 18th, 2018, 11:00 PM
John,
Glad to hear the clamping tripod is working out. If you splurge for the larger version, you'll find that it's much more than just a bigger version of the little guy. But, it has more mass, which can be a consideration if you're lugging around in a backpack full of other camera gear. Very useful though.
For a safety line, I have made 3 lanyards consisting of two spring clips and a piece of 550 para-cord.
I made three so I could have different lengths of cord on each, ranging from about 9 inches to 16 inches. I use these mostly on hotel balconies. I used them on drift cars but there wasn't always a way to attach the other end to something, usually ended up closing the trunk or a door on the loose end to hold it secure. When attaching action cams to my own car, I just gaffer-taped over the suction cup mount so if the mount lost its suction, the tape would hold it. Never had a failure of the Sony or Gecko cups though.

Your requirements might be different, but I'd think you would want a solution where the lanyard won't scratch the finish on the boat as it's fluttering in a breeze. Maybe they have rubber-coated spring clips?
For the camera attachment to the clamp, I use a small quick release adapter and plate. I have tried a few and I know I don't like the plastic ones. I also like to use the kind where I can mount/un-mount the camera using just one hand, as I always seem to have something else in my other hand when doing that. I am still unpacking my household goods shipment that just arrived, so I don't have my lanyards or QR adapters at-hand yet. Maybe something like the Manfrotto 323.

Get the big clamp.

Mark