View Full Version : White always clips above 100IRE?

Paul Anderegg
June 12th, 2018, 01:17 PM
So I typically shoot at 108-109% white levels in my Sony and JVC cameras. Clips with necessary detail that exceeds 100IRE on the waveform, I hit with a 108 to 100 effect n FCPX, exposing the detail that is clipped in the viewer and on air.

My question is where does this 100% clipping exist in the wild. Does Facebook clip at 100? Do YouTube and Vimeo clip at 100? I know that if I export a frame of 108% video, then reimport the still frame, it will be clipped across the top at 100IRE. I was under the impression that 108-109% levels were happy to exist and display on a PC, or on a Blu-ray, but now I am not so sure this is happening, especially since even the FCPX viewer clips.

Anyone know the real scoop on where these superwhites can live without being beat down by the levels police?

Paul

Cary Knoop
June 12th, 2018, 01:47 PM
When you master a video I would make your signal does not go over 100 IRE.

Paul Anderegg
June 12th, 2018, 02:05 PM
I always conform my video to 100IRE for broadcast, as I work for a TV station. I was just wondering if for my personal video files, or those uploaded online, if I still needed to conform them if they are not being run through the broadcast chain, such as YT or FB postings.

Is there a test pattern I can upload or view that would have blinking boxes above 100IRE or such?

Paul

Cary Knoop
June 12th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I always conform my video to 100IRE for broadcast, as I work for a TV station. I was just wondering if for my personal video files, or those uploaded online, if I still needed to conform them if they are not being run through the broadcast chain, such as YT or FB postings.

Yes!

Is there a test pattern I can upload or view that would have blinking boxes above 100IRE or such?

You could use this video, the black and white text is resp. below and above legal levels:

https://youtu.be/yzuWK9mHu7o

Paul Anderegg
June 12th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Thanks Cary. I shoot night video with lots of highlights, so conforming is pretty mandatory as in camera 100% white clip is ugly. Flames look so much prettier when they are not clipped!

Paul

Rainer Listing
June 12th, 2018, 09:41 PM
I always conform my video to 100IRE for broadcast, as I work for a TV station. I was just wondering if for my personal video files, or those uploaded online, if I still needed to conform them if they are not being run through the broadcast chain, such as YT or FB postings

Paul

NTSC broadcast is easy, all bets are off for on-line. YouTube doesn't touch the levels, what happens after that depends on the graphics, the driver, the browser, the display and probably the mother board. There's no way apart from looking over their shoulder to tell if the person viewing is getting the correct levels or if their image has blown out highlights or looks dull. Best bet is to keep levels 16-235, that way it seems to look right on most devices (with YouTube example above , no text on my laptop, phone and iPad, on my properly calibrated desktop , Firefox, NVidia set to limited DR I can see the text, set to full, it's gone, but no telling what a viewer will see).

Paul Anderegg
June 12th, 2018, 09:56 PM
I cannot see text on my phone, Macbook, or my PC connected to my 4K TV in FULL with desktop conformed to limited...it's an HTPC.

Paul

Cary Knoop
June 12th, 2018, 10:50 PM
I cannot see text on my phone, Macbook, or my PC connected to my 4K TV in FULL with desktop conformed to limited...it's an HTPC.

You are not supposed to see any text.