View Full Version : Exporting from Davinci to Final Cut Pro X (in ProRes)

Urban Skargren
June 20th, 2018, 06:44 PM
Hi all,

I am finishing a short film project, I have edited in Final Cut Pro X (latest version) and a friend graded the film in Davinci Resolve on a PC. The film is natively shot on 4K ProRes 422HQ. However, we discovered that there is no ProRes export option in Davinci on PC, so my friend exported in DNXHD 4K, he says that is what corresponds to ProRes. But now that I have the exported files on my Macbook Pro, none of them open in FCPX neither in Quicktime Player. They open (with a lag) in VLC, but not in Compressor nor Mpeg Streamclip.
Does anybody here know how we can export in ProRes from Davinci or losslessly batch convert the files to ProRes on my Mac? Or can I somehow install the DNXHD codec on my computer and make the files readable?

Thanks

Urban Skargren
June 21st, 2018, 03:16 PM
Hi again. I was able to import the clips using this codec package:
Avid QuickTime Codecs LE (http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-QuickTime-Codecs-LE)
But they play back as green screen (only green on image) and also export like this. Don't know what to do...

Cary Knoop
June 21st, 2018, 04:58 PM
Hi all,

I am finishing a short film project, I have edited in Final Cut Pro X (latest version) and a friend graded the film in Davinci Resolve on a PC. The film is natively shot on 4K ProRes 422HQ. However, we discovered that there is no ProRes export option in Davinci on PC, so my friend exported in DNXHD 4K, he says that is what corresponds to ProRes. But now that I have the exported files on my Macbook Pro, none of them open in FCPX neither in Quicktime Player. They open (with a lag) in VLC, but not in Compressor nor Mpeg Streamclip.
Does anybody here know how we can export in ProRes from Davinci or losslessly batch convert the files to ProRes on my Mac? Or can I somehow install the DNXHD codec on my computer and make the files readable?

Thanks
You could use ffmpeg to generate non-official ProRes like code.

Urban Skargren
June 21st, 2018, 05:04 PM
Would there be any quality difference?

William Hohauser
June 22nd, 2018, 02:36 PM
First off, QuickTime Player sometimes can't play advanced professional codecs that FCPX can. Try using FCPX.

Second see if a program like EditReady can convert the files to ProRes.

Third, see if your friend can export to Cineform which FCPX does read.

Fourth and last: Export either a TIFF sequence or JPEG2000 sequence from Resolve and import that into QuickTime Player or Compressor and create a ProRes file from that. You will have to import the audio track separately.