View Full Version : UWOL 47 - Watch the films here

Trond Saetre
July 2nd, 2018, 08:14 AM
Unfortunately, UWOL set a new record this round. An all time low for number of submissions.
Only 1 film was submitted!
But from the bright side, it can (almost) only get better from here.

Next challenge:
Signup will be open from July 14, 2018.
Theme release: August 1, 2018
Deadline: September 2, 2018. (The extra 2 days give you a full bonus weekend)

And now, the one and only UWOL 47 film:

Wildlife - It's all around us, by Bob Safay

Everyone: Please give Mr Safay's film a well deserved feedback in this thread.

UWOL 47 "Wildlife - It's all around us! by Bob Safay on Vimeo

Mark Williams
July 2nd, 2018, 10:07 AM
Bob, really nice footage. I am envious of that black bear shot. In all my years in the mountains I have never got a good shot of them.

Bob Safay
July 2nd, 2018, 12:34 PM
Mark, thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Believe me, it was pour luck! I was driving the loop road at Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and I just happened to turn down the right road at the right time and had my equipment all ready in the back of my car. Bob

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"

Vishal Jadhav
July 2nd, 2018, 10:20 PM
Wonderful film Bob,

I loved the way you introduced the wilderness places and yes showing the wonderful wildlife around the houses. Great concept and wonderfully done.

Paul Mailath
July 3rd, 2018, 12:01 AM
Great! - I had a similar idea and filmed the birds feeding on my balcony but that's as far as it got.

Mick Jenner
July 3rd, 2018, 02:42 AM
Hi Bob, well done, lovely entry that hits the theme straight between the eyes.

You have some great clips there from the parks but surprisingly its your garden ones that hit home with me showing how important our yards (gardens in UK) are to wildlife. As the poem says "If you take time to stop and stare etc etc" you will be amazed at the wildlife you can see within metres of your front door.

On a down side the American grey squirrel was introduced over here more than a century ago. Unfortunately for various reasons their presence has caused a drastic decline in our native red squirrel population that have been unable to compete with them. Grey squirrels carry a disease, squirrel parapox virus, which does not appear to affect their health but often kills red squirrels. Grey squirrels are more likely to eat green acorns, so will decimate the food source before reds get to them. Hence our reds are now confined to very low numbers in a few small pockets over the UK. Not the fault of the grey but another human made disaster through interference.

Mick.

Tony McGuire
July 3rd, 2018, 03:42 AM
Well done Bob,

Love the video and mainly the squrles. I had footage of birds having a bath in our pond, but I was moveing an another project to my external hard disk and the I deleted the wrong folder after that and lost all my bird footage.

Lorinda Norton
July 3rd, 2018, 08:03 AM
Beautiful footage, Bob! Thanks for taking us along for the ride(s). You have created a great sanctuary in your yard for wildlife. I'd love to have a "watering hole" like that, but all the cats around this place make it wrong to attract birds or squirrels.

You single-handedly saved UWOL 47 with an award-winning entry. Well done!

Trond Saetre
July 3rd, 2018, 10:30 AM
Well done, Bob! Thank's for saving the #47 challenge.

You had a lot of wildlife there, and the bear and especially squirrels were my favorites.
Very true what you say. It is easy to forget that we have wildlife all around us, even in the back yard.

Nice film you made!
Well done!

LeRoy Gunderson
July 4th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Very nice. A joy to watch. I really liked all of the footage but the bear and chipmunk stood out for me. I have been to Cades Cove and actually saw a bear, or at least the rear end of one as it scooted through the brush.

Great Job!

Bob Safay
July 4th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I am so glad you all enjoyed my video. As I said earlier, the bear shot was pure luck. I probably spent more time waiting for that chipmunk to come out as I did anything else. I learned a lot shooting this video. I really have been all over filming wildlife (I leave for Kenya on August 15th to film the migration), but yet I can't wait to get up each morning to watch the birds, squirrels, chipmunks and yes my three feral cats playing in my yard. And, I actually live in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. so in reality wildlife really is all around us. Bob

Mick Jenner
July 5th, 2018, 05:24 AM
Have filmed in Kenya several times Bob, you will have a great time.

Bob Safay
July 5th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Mick, Africa is magic! I've done Kenya before, as well as South Africa, Zambia and Malawi. Can't wait to go back in August. I travel with a small group that specializes in photograph and filming. The small privately owned and operated company sets up photo trips all over the world.

Mick Jenner
July 6th, 2018, 06:56 AM
Small groups are defo best. We were lucky as we were filming for a Kenyan company at the time and so therefore did not have to contend with others in the the vehicle. Likewise we had access to several private community run conservation areas so did not have to put up with the crowds that can sometimes gather at sightings.

Not part of the migration but, here are some cheetah cubs to wet your appetite for whats to come

Cheetah Cubs with mum, Maasai Mara on Vimeo

Bob Safay
July 7th, 2018, 03:59 PM
Mick, great shots. Cheetah cubs have got to be the cutest critters on earth. Thanks for sharing. I will definitely post some clips when I return. What camcorder were you using? bOB

Mick Jenner
July 8th, 2018, 03:11 AM
Hi Bob, filmed those in the Masi Mara January 2007. Filmed with the trusty Canon xlh1 and would have been with either the stock lens or a canon 70-200mm f 2.8 EOS lens using the canon EOS adapter. Looking forward to seeing your footage upon your return.

Where in the Mara are you staying?

Mick

Geir Inge
July 10th, 2018, 06:20 AM
Hello.
Sad that only one video was delivered this round.
On the other hand, it's an amazingly well done movie, we're so lucky to see.
Thank you Bob for a great movie and thank you Trond and Chris for giving us the opportunity to play UWOL.

I have done some recordings for this round, seabirds, and most of it on the island of Runde.
Unfortunately, my mother-in-law became ill and there were some tough rounds.
Such is life once in between. Luckily she is now getting better and soon we hope to celebrate her 90th birthday.

Hope to contribute with a movie next time.
CU around :)

Paul Wood
July 10th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Thanks, Bob, and that last line says it all, for us UWOL ers, “Just take the time, and look for it.”

I’m really glad that you did take the time, and produced a great film,

I have to confess that I nearly filmed a bees nest in the roof of my outhouse here in Spain, but that would have been to find out where the entrance was, for nefarious purposes in the night with a spray can, and I’m glad I didn’t , as apart from the odd bee in the bedroom from the adjoining built in wardrobe, they have been no bother.

I guess I have to get up early and try and film the deer and occasional wild boar family passing the end of my road. ( a year or so ago I spent a week there and saw nothing), or, if I’m feeling lazy, the ants destroying my vegetable garden!

Well done!

Andrew Hood
July 30th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Well done Bob. Carrying the torch for UWOL this round. I only got as far as filming some of what I needed.
I liked the use of theme, and the thought provoking piece. Simple idea, but gets the point across nicely. Why do I always over complicate my plan A, B and C?