View Full Version : My Tascam DR-44WL did more than dropout

Steven Davis
July 2nd, 2018, 01:07 PM
So right at the end of the song, my Tascam did this crazy buzzing sound. Called Tascam, they told me that the Lexar LS Series card I was using, wasn't tested with the DR-44WL, and I should switch to a Scandisk card. I can do that, but didn't know if anyone had ever had the same experience. I've used this unit 5 times this year and havn't had that buzzing happen. Just plain odd.

Thoughts?

Don Palomaki
July 5th, 2018, 06:50 AM
A steady buzzing, or intermittent?
What was the wiring configuration to the recorder?
Balanced or unbalanced?
Mic or line level?

Nearby electronic devices can induce noises into other audio gear, especially things like cell phones while hand shaking with cell towers even if not on a call. The short sample sounds a lot like some cell phone handshaking I've heard, especially if it was a number of additional short bursts every so often.

Were any cell phones or similar items on and near (within a few feet) the recorder, mic or cabling?

Steven Davis
July 5th, 2018, 07:02 AM
Thanks Don,

The sample should be under my original post. There weren't any wires, the Tascam was just sitting there on a stand using the ambient microphones.

Jay Massengill
July 8th, 2018, 09:04 AM
I'm guessing here, but it sounds to me less like a cellphone and more like a file glitch (possibly from a card problem).

How did you transfer the file from the recorder?

Have you tried other methods of transfer? Direct by USB cable from the recorder, use a different card reader for the card, or use file recovery software like Recuva, or try playing the file using the recorder and transfer to a second recorder?

Sorry this happened, but possibly you can find a fix with this file or re-record without terrible difficulty.