View Full Version : Church music license, UK

Danny O'Neill
July 11th, 2018, 06:28 AM
Has anyone in the UK noticed that all of a sudden churches are asking to see a copy of our MCPS so they can put it on file? Or demanding the couple pay their outrageous video tax?

In 11 years we've been asked twice and both of those took our word for it but lately they want to see a copy. Has some directive gone out?

Steve Burkett
July 11th, 2018, 06:55 AM
You've been lucky. I have had churches demanding to see proof of license on several occasions over the last 5 years. Maybe only a small percentage in all, but closer to a dozen or more Weddings. It's happened less so the last few years, then again I've done less church Weddings. This year, the number of churches I've filmed at are quite small, whereas a few years back, they had the majority. A fact I am quite pleased with as they are a major PITA.

Noa Put
July 11th, 2018, 07:47 AM
Luckily in my country I never had to deal with these kind of restrictions

then again I've done less church Weddings. This year, the number of churches I've filmed at are quite small,
I also am seeing a large shift from church weddings to ceremonies in the venue, when I started filming 13 years ago all ceremonies where church weddings, now it's around 20% and I can't wait untill every couple reallizes that their venue ceremony will have a lot more value, not only for themselves but for the guests attending.

Paul R Johnson
July 11th, 2018, 11:40 AM
PRS are running a new system where they're doing deals with music users. The big theatre shows this year are all concerned that PRS are cutting the venues out by licensing the tours direct, so we get their contract rider and their PRS details are included - this also includes documents where no PRS is due because the only music in the show is specially designed for that purpose - this means the venues don't have to pay their usual PRS fee, which of course many venues charge back to the artiste - so they get no contra charges for music they don't use!

~Here's an example

Dear XXXXXX
RE: ZZZZZZZ
I am writing to you in reference to the above named tour featuring XXXXXX which takes place between the dates of XXXX to XXXX.
Based on your declaration that no copyright music is used solely for walk on walk off and that no copyright music is used in the performances throughout the show, I can confirm that PRS for Music will not seek to collect royalties from these performances.
Venues therefore should not withhold monies for the above performance and will not be required to declare these performances in their PRS for Music declarations.
Should you decide to incorporate PRS for Music controlled repertoire in the above tour, please contact PRS for Music immediately.
Further to your application, we may request tickets to one of the shows on the tour in order to allow a PRS for Music staff member to attend and ensure the accuracy of your declaration. Your cooperation in this matter is much appreciated.
Yours sincerely

Peter Rush
August 31st, 2018, 09:04 AM
My church weddings are getting fewer and fewer, for that I am glad :)

Paul R Johnson
September 1st, 2018, 02:13 PM
Looking back on this resurrection - the real problem is that churches in general have money, so if they mess up licensing, it's worth the agencies taking up the case because they have a good chance of getting the money. Saying it is covered, then discovering it isn't, puts the church in the frame. Nowadays so many people are casual about copyright, so only fools take a chance. The vicars hear people say love, honour, obey, etc etc and know that many will be divorced by next year - would they also believe them if they say they covered the copyright? Cynic mode off.