View Full Version : Quicktime needed for HC-VXF1 4K mp4 files?

Alan Craven
July 23rd, 2018, 04:35 AM
Could anyone tell me if I need to have Quicktime on my PC in order to edit the 4K mp4 files generated by this camera in Premiere Pro CS6 - which does not have native Quicktime capability, please?

Also are there any sample files available for download anywhere?

Alan Craven
August 16th, 2018, 03:36 AM
Having taken a chance and purchased one of these cameras, I am now able to answer my own question!

Fortunately, there is no problem using the 4K mp4 files with Premiere CS6, even though Quicktime is not on my system.

Interestingly, Panasonic were unable to tell me anything whatsoever about the files produced by this camera - aftersome delay I received a reply saying that I needed to ask Adobe about this. Not very helpful!

Ronald Jackson
August 16th, 2018, 08:14 AM
I'd be interested in seeing some 4K footage off your cam. YouTube can handle 4K uploads as I guess you'll know.
I actually pre-ordered one of these but then chickened out over the lack of sample footage and informed reviews.

Ron

Alan Craven
August 16th, 2018, 09:15 AM
The lack of information about this camera made me hold off purchasing for a long time, before giving in and taking a chance on a factory re-furbished example.

The Sony AX53 seemed a safer bet in some ways (my main camera is a Sony AX1), but it is dated and lacked the function buttons that I have become used to.

I shall shoot in 4K, but work on a 1080p timeline, to take advantage of the effective doubling of the focal length - I use my cameras exclusively for wildlife.

I'm afraid that I do not use Utube or anything of that kind.

Alan Craven
September 15th, 2018, 01:00 AM
I have now had the chance to use the camera seriously, and am very impressed. The stabilisation is superb, compared with what I have had before.

The 4K files are XAVC, and can be handled by sony Catalyst Browse alongside the files from my sony AX1.

Batteries are a problem - the one supplied last only half an hour or so in intensive use. Replacements are difficult to come by. Another problem is that Panasonic have locked out non approved batteries by including a chip which monitors "safety" in their battery. A non-Panasonic substitute causes the camera to shut down after 60 seconds with an error message.