View Full Version : YouTube makes permanent change to displaying native aspect ratio

Andrew Smith
July 30th, 2018, 12:35 AM
Well, it's kind of like that but essentially they are choosing to do away with black bars in order to give the best viewing experience of every device. Standard definition 4:3 videos are an obvious example of the difference with the new player.

We launched an update to the YouTube video player on desktop – the player now automatically adapts to provide the best viewing experience based on the video’s size (aspect ratio) and your computer’s screen/browser size.

Highlighting the changes below and sharing more about the reasons behind the change:
Historically, for non wide-screen videos (not 16:9) like vertical and square videos, we would show black bars alongside the video, making the video really small. This update moves away from the need for black bars. We launched this update on mobile awhile back (both Android and iOS) so this change also aligns the desktop and mobile viewing experiences.

Initial feedback from users is not positive, though. See here (https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/5QyTjyT-IZo) for details.

Andrew

David Peterson
August 3rd, 2018, 01:27 AM
Vertical video???

The end is nigh!!

Vertical Video Syndrome - A PSA - YouTube

Andrew Smith
August 3rd, 2018, 01:47 AM
Yes, even vertical video is not immune.

Andrew

David Peterson
August 3rd, 2018, 01:53 AM
Don't worry, Glenn Fricker has a solution:

The Cure for Vertical Video - YouTube

"Let's change the world for the better!"

David Banner
August 3rd, 2018, 09:48 PM
I noticed this recently on my Billy Graham videos, most of which are 4:3. I was like hmm..when did this start? I liked it better. Seemed to not draw as much attention to the fact they are 4:3.
As for vertical video..I don't know what to say about that

Cary Knoop
August 3rd, 2018, 10:13 PM
I think this is a great development, video players should be aspect ratio neutral.

Andrew Smith
August 4th, 2018, 05:10 AM
The irony is that this of all things, this will probably have the biggest impact towards people moving away from shooting the dreaded vertical video.

Andrew

Boyd Ostroff
August 4th, 2018, 05:37 AM
this will probably have the biggest impact towards people moving away from shooting the dreaded vertical video.

I seriously doubt that. They shoot vertical video on phones, and their friends view it on phones. I have never shot a vertical video myself, but virtually every clip that my daughter and son in law send me is vertical. IMO, it is here to stay and there will only be more in the future.

Jeff Donald
August 4th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Think outside the box, join the 3rd annual vertical film festival.

https://verticalfilmfestival.org