View Full Version : Nikon D850 vs cheap camera

Duane Adam
August 1st, 2018, 12:20 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love my D850 especially because I can now use all of my Nikon lenses for uncropped 4k video.

But I'm noticing there is less difference as cheaper cameras continue to get better. Here'a shot from the D850 with a $2,000 lens, and one from my DJI phantom 4 pro camera. I don't see a monumental difference.

David Peterson
August 3rd, 2018, 01:42 AM
You're comparing apples and oranges, I'd try to frame them the same instead then compare

Chris Harding
August 4th, 2018, 07:54 PM
I used to have two (admittedly older) Nikon D90's with a host of Nikon and Sigma lenses and due to age I replaced them with two Panasonic FZ1000 bridge cameras ... Leica optics and a 20 mp sensor and the stills and 4K video is stunningly sharp even comparing with my expensive Sigma art lens which actually cost more than the Panasonic complete. So you are comparing a sub $1000 camera with a plus $5000 setup?

I'm sure if you put the images under a microscope the 850 would be a lot better BUT a normal sized image to the naked eye it's hard to tell the difference with some cheaper cameras. The only thing I do suffer with with a fixed zoom lens is I cannot go wider than 25mm but with the Nikons doing Real estate shoots with a 10 -15mm zoom was a breeze.

It all depends what you are using it for I think!! If you produce 6' x 4' architectural murals for clients the 850 is a must but doing landscapes or baby on the lawn probably a cell phone would even be good enough!!

Jacques Mersereau
September 8th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Bring both inside and you'll see a difference for sure.

David Peterson
September 18th, 2018, 02:07 AM
Also the DJI P4P is limited to only the one focal length :-/