View Full Version : How does ORTF sound. And a little bragging!

John Murphy
August 22nd, 2018, 06:01 PM
We often talk about what set-up to use for live events so here is a performance I can share.

Sunday, Aug. 26, 2018 at 8 p.m. (2hrs.) the recording I made of a Leonard Bernstein tribute will be premiered on Montana Public Radio. Performed by the Helena (Montana) Symphony Orchestra along with choral and some really great soloist.

The main symphony was recorded with a pair of Rode NT-1's placed about 15 feet behind and 4 feet above the conductor. Soloist wore Countrymans, I'm not sure about the mic's on the choral. 4 mics overhead. Recorded with a Zoom H6. Rode's were recorded direct. The other mics were taken from the board. The performance hall is an old converted meeting hall which holds approximately 1200 people, theatre style. Acoustically challenging.

I provided them with both the raw recordings and a mixed master (Vegas 13). I'm not sure if they will use my mix or mix a version of their own.

Actual performance starts about 11 minutes in.

In the first part of the second half of the concert the song "Maria" is worth waiting for.
It's about 67 minutes in from the start.

8 p.m. MDT, Sunday August 26, 2018. MTPR (http://www.mtpr.org) (Montana Public Radio)

Celebrate Leonard Bernstein On Montana Public Radio | MTPR (http://www.mtpr.org/post/celebrate-leonard-bernstein-montana-public-radio)

JM

Andrew Smith
August 23rd, 2018, 12:40 AM
I seem to be a tad out of reception range. Anything you can do for your DVinfo buddies?

Andrew

Don Palomaki
August 23rd, 2018, 04:38 AM
You may be able to stream it via the Internet.
Click in MTPR.ORG ->"Listen" for potential options.

John Murphy
August 24th, 2018, 09:27 AM
When I was a kid, at night, with just the right atmospherics. we listened to 50,000 watt "blowtorch" stations from a long way away. Today might be easier to tune into the internet :). j

Rick Reineke
August 24th, 2018, 10:42 AM
When I was a kid, at night, with just the right atmospherics. we listened to 50,000 watt "blowtorch" stations from a long way away. Today might be easier to tune into the internet :). j
Same here, even after I was a kid. The radio folks called it "DXing" I used to get stations from as far off as Chicago and even St Louis once as I recall. Now they're right there (interference free) on your smart phone Not as exciting though.

John Murphy
August 26th, 2018, 08:12 PM
The symphony piece on now is recorded with 2 Rode NT1's.

John Murphy
August 26th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Just to add to the fun the choral and soloist are sound reinforced for the audience. The speakers are between the conductor and my mics.