View Full Version : Nikon Mirrorless Z6 and Z7 announced. 10BIT HDMI OUT!

Jack Zhang
August 23rd, 2018, 02:54 AM
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/about-nikon/press-room/press-release/jktu9ets/Nikon-Introduces-the-New-Nikon-Z-Mount-System%2C-and-Releases-Two-Full-Frame-Mirrorless-Cameras%3A-the-Nikon-Z-7-and-Nikon-Z-6-.html

Nikon Inc. is pleased to announce the release of the full-frame (Nikon FX–format) Nikon Z 7 and Nikon Z 6 mirrorless cameras, as well as NIKKOR Z lenses, featuring a new, larger-diameter mount to enable the next generation of ultimate optical performance.

Pre-Orders already up at B&H: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/items/ci/40142/cat.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

Jack Zhang
August 24th, 2018, 03:25 AM
Newsshooter says Atomos and Nikon will work together to get N-Log onto Atomos recorders:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/08/23/atomos-ninja-v-nikon-z6-z7-4k-10-bit-422-full-frame-video/

Robert Lane
August 24th, 2018, 04:35 PM
This could well be the most significant DSLR/Mirrorless game changer since MFT was announced and even *potentially* surpass the Sony A7 craze.

Assuming Nikon has done it right, they've accomplished 3 things - in the same camera body - that's been desperately needed in DSLR-type film shooting.

1. A full-frame sensor.
2. 10-Bit 4:2:2 color output (at least only external for now)
3. Ultra-high resolution EVF with APO-quality glass.

This makes the Z-series the only other DSLR other than the GH5/s that shoots better than 8-bit 4:2:0 color. Add the full-frame sensor aspect and you can bet there will be Panny converts a-plenty in the coming years.

One thing to note: The Nikon-supplied demo reel showing N-Log is *horrible*. Whoever graded that didn't know what they were doing, what with clipped highlights and compressed colors, it's... poor, at best. So don't judge the actual cameras performance until a colorist who knows what they're doing gets hold of their own footage.

The issue not yet known is the actual bitrate the Z shoots at. The GH5/s puts out chunky 400 MB/s bitrates in I-frame formats, so if the Nikon is less than 200 MB/s that might add to the difficulty in grading. Time will tell - but you can bet in the future this will be improved with firmware. For me, I'd rather deal with low bit-rates in trade for the full-frame aspect. That's the real game-changer along with the 10-bit output.

I can guarantee that as soon as it's actually available (which has been Nikons Achilles heel for a few years now) I'll be replacing my own GH5 system with a Z-series body, for sure. And all the gorgeous Nikon-to-MFT adapted glass I have will have a nice new home - and be full frame!! Can't wait.

Jack Zhang
August 25th, 2018, 12:15 AM
Nikon never discloses the bitrate. At best, it will be 100Mbps, at worst, 60Mbps. (Since there's no 60p)

Patrick Baldwin
August 26th, 2018, 05:52 AM
I read somewhere the bitrate is 144 Mbps

Noa Put
August 26th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Acc to this art the d850 will have a 144mb bitrate, the z7 100mb: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/preview/nikon-z7-vs-d850/

Jack Zhang
August 26th, 2018, 10:34 PM
That's most certainly VBR. So the bitrate will dynamically go up and down rather than stay constant. Canon and Sony have a good track record of keeping within CBR constraints but Nikon loves VBR.

Patrick Baldwin
August 30th, 2018, 12:58 PM
I was at a hands on in the UK the other day and the rep claimed that the 144Mbps was a constant bit rate. I said it was an odd number and he just smiled......

Jack Zhang
August 31st, 2018, 10:54 AM
That can't be verified unless we have a sample file. My experience with the D800 is that the VBR swings the bitrate from 19 to 25Mbps, with no fixed CBR.

David Peterson
September 3rd, 2018, 01:34 AM
Long time user of Nikon, so quite excited about the Nikon Z6:

Nikon Z6 & Z7 finally arrives for full frame mirrorless! - YouTube

Kyle Root
September 5th, 2018, 07:55 AM
I'm looking forward to getting a Z6 if finances allow that in a couple months. It ticks all the right boxes for me.

The Video AF I've seen is just as good as Canon's DPAF and this will be mostly used in my case on a gimbal for wedding work. Nice lightweight package.

Jack Zhang
September 22nd, 2018, 04:06 AM
This was being shown around with the Ninja V a lot at IBC. Anyone get to try that combo out?