View Full Version : Today is the day: Vegas pro 16 is here

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
August 27th, 2018, 06:04 AM
Out now: The future of video editing!
Faster. More extensive. Rich in possibilities.

Experience a new level of creative freedom in video editing with VEGAS Creative Software. Forget limitations. It’s simple to use and features the latest technologies. It’s time to discover what true creative freedom really means.

https://goo.gl/CNcY5M

We believe in VEGAS Pro. That's why, over the past year, we have released six free updates which have included more than 20 new features and 100 bug fixes.

We want VEGAS Pro to be the best video editing software ever. As you can see from this year's patch notes, we are continuing to invest heavily in VEGAS Pro and we will keep updating the software to make it better and better!

We are particularly proud of our highlights this year:
- Motion Tracking
- Storyboarding
- HDR support

We read and collect user feedback. We always keep an eye on the community and we appreciate all of the feedback we get. So, please tell us what you think about the new version!

Finally, in the upcoming weeks, look for more VEGAS Pro tutorials on our YouTube Channel ( VEGAS Pro - YouTube ).

Here the full list of new features & bug fixes:

New Features
- Video stabilization has been completely redeveloped in house to provide far better stabilization results
- Motion tracking enables the user to follow the motion of on-screen objects and apply video FX and filters to the moving area
- Bezier Masking OFX plug-in provides complete flexibility in creating multiple masks with simple to complex shapes, apply masks to the media or video FX, and use a motion track to have the mask follow selected objects in the video
- Project Media thumbnails now feature hover scrub so you can easily review media files without first adding them to the timeline or Trimmer
- The user can mark in and out points on each clip in the Project Media window, then preview just the material between the two points and add just that material to the timeline
- In and out points can be marked separately on the same media in different bins–especially important in the new storyboard bins
- Project Media thumbnails can now be resized in order to see more detail in the thumbnail
- You can now preview multiple files sequentially in the Project Media window (including the new storyboard bins) either by selecting no files (in which case they will all preview one after the other) or by selecting specific files (in which case, just those files will preview)
- Significant workflow improvements have been added to the Project Media bin system in the Project Media window
- You can now drag a project media bin (including the new Storyboard bins) to the timeline to add all of the contents of that bin sequentially to the timeline
- More logically centralized tools for adding media to your project through the Project Media window
- Quick Start dashboard provides quick access to major workflow operations
- Added color swatches to the Device Preferences to provide a visual indication of the Interface Type preference
- Tiny Planet OFX plug-in for creative treatment of regular and 360 footage
- You can now easily add a missing audio or video stream back to your project automatically synchronized and grouped with its partner stream
- A button has been added to the Render As dialog box to instantly set the render to location to match the project file location
- Robust auto-save and backup options have been added so the user can specify how often they want their project saved or backups created
- The user can generate automatic subtitle events on a new subtitle track from TXT and CSV files, including support for timecode in and out information in a CSV file so that the subtitles end up in the exact desired position
- A new menu item allows the user to remove gaps between selected events
- The user has an option to export HDR metadata in HEVC 32 bit projects which can then be ready by sites such as YouTube

Bug Fixes
- Multiple project media bin bugs have been resolved
- Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y functionality has been restored in the tree view of the Project Media window
- RAM usage is now managed properly and efficiently in complex projects
- Double-clicking on a media generator thumbnail now properly adds the generator to the timeline
- You can now properly directly access the context menu for Text parameter keyframes and keyframes properly receive focus in all click cases
- A blank window no longer appears when the "Swap for" folder contains no compatible files
- Non-functional Help button no longer appears in Edit Visible Button Set dialog box
- VEGAS no longer crashes when a group track is removed via scripting
- The Render As dialog has been refined so that it no longer shows incorrect options of some file formats
- Export to Media Composer/Pro Tools AAF no longer fails when the video track contains a still image
- Export to Davinci Resolve now delivers tracks in the proper order
- The Video scopes now properly reflect ACES color-managed output
- The Render As dialog no longer becomes hidden in certain circumstances
- The Internet HD 720p 29.97 fps (AMD VCE) template for the MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4 file format now correctly renders at 29.97 fps as expected
- For scripting, the ExpandTrackGroup method in the TrackGroup class no longer incorrectly collapses a group if it already expanded
- The LUT filter and other OFX plug-ins now properly recognize special characters in folder names

Best Regards,
The VEGAS Pro team

Ref: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/release-vegas-pro-16-powerful-video-production-audio-editing--112586/

Renton Maclachlan
August 27th, 2018, 11:28 PM
'$249.00 Regularly $998.00

Upgrade now

Information regarding the upgrade
Available only until September 12, 2018•VEGAS Pro 16 special release offer: Only $199
•FREE BONUS: Boris FX Continuum Key & Blend Unit (a $399 value)
•Save a total of $749 on your upgrade to VEGAS Pro 16'

I had a go at ordering, seeing there is the $199 offer until 12th September, but the $199 didn't come up... only the $249.

Anyone know how to trigger the $199 price?

Renton

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
August 28th, 2018, 12:05 AM
Select 'Vegas Pro 16 Edit' edition and 'Upgrade' button

Juris Lielpeteris
August 28th, 2018, 12:06 AM
Hi, Renton! Look for Vegas Pro Edit Upgrade.

Renton Maclachlan
August 28th, 2018, 01:18 AM
Sooooo...what exactly is the difference between Pro Edit and Pro? Two Plugins?

Jim Michael
August 28th, 2018, 05:02 AM
Any mention of the highest resolutiion it’s capable of?

Juris Lielpeteris
August 28th, 2018, 06:27 AM
The only difference between Pro Edit and Pro is lack of DVD Architect.

Mark Rosenzweig
August 28th, 2018, 06:45 AM
I do not understand why one needs to pay $199 to correct bugs in 15. These "bug fixes" should be part of an update to 15. I have never, ever heard of touting a paid new version of software based on bugs in the prior version that will go uncorrected.

According to Magix, here are the uncorrected bugs in version 15 that you need to pay at least $199 to fix based on what is corrected in 16:

- Multiple project media bin bugs
- Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y functionality does not work in the tree view of the Project Media window
- RAM usage is not managed properly and efficiently in complex projects
- Double-clicking on a media generator thumbnail does not properly add the generator to the timeline
- You cannot properly directly access the context menu for Text parameter keyframes and keyframes and receive focus in all click cases
- A blank window appears when the "Swap for" folder contains no compatible files
- A non-functional Help button appears in Edit Visible Button Set dialog box
- VEGAS crashes when a group track is removed via scripting
- The Render As dialog shows incorrect options of some file formats
- Export to Media Composer/Pro Tools AAF fails when the video track contains a still image
- Export to Davinci Resolve delivers tracks in the wrong order
- The Video scopes do not properly reflect ACES color-managed output
- The Render As dialog becomes hidden in certain circumstances
- The Internet HD 720p 29.97 fps (AMD VCE) template for the MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4 file format incorrectly renders at 29.97 fps
- For scripting, the ExpandTrackGroup method in the TrackGroup class incorrectly collapses a group if it already expanded
- The LUT filter and other OFX plug-ins do not properly recognize special characters in folder names

Edward Troxel
August 28th, 2018, 01:12 PM
I had a go at ordering, seeing there is the $199 offer until 12th September, but the $199 didn't come up... only the $249.

Anyone know how to trigger the $199 price?

My understanding is that the price really is $249 and the 199 was a mistake...

Mark Rosenzweig
August 28th, 2018, 02:22 PM

You are saying that the email in my inbox giving the price as $199 is a "mistake"? ! And they will not honor this price? Do you work for Magix? If so, shame on you. If not, why do you blithely accept this behavior?

Given the unfixed bugs in 15, and this, I am forming the impression that Magix has no ethics. And I have been using Vegas Pro since version 10 and have 15.

Noa Put
August 28th, 2018, 02:43 PM

Vegas pro edit is 199 and vegas pro is 249 to upgrade.

Jorma Nippala
August 28th, 2018, 06:03 PM
Noa puts it right. And the Vegas email in my inbox states "From $199 - [click] Learn More".

Renton Maclachlan
August 28th, 2018, 07:25 PM
I wasn't quoting the email. I cut and pasted from the purchase page on the website...

'Information regarding the upgrade
Available only until September 12, 2018•VEGAS Pro 16 special release offer: Only $199'

It doesn't say 'Pro 16 Edit', just 'Pro 16'...,

Thus I would like to buy Pro 16 at $199...though I have been reconsidering and thinking of giving this version a miss, even though I have been upgrading every version since 6.

Another reason to give it a miss is I can no longer sell on my older versions (as Sony allowed) in a way that gives buyers the ability to register and gain access to all upgrades to that version.

And the exchange rate makes upgrading less attractive...

Brian Mitchell Warshawsky
August 28th, 2018, 11:36 PM
Immediately when Setiawan Kartawidjaja announced Vegas Pro 16, Magix' page at https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/upgrades-for-vegas-pro-and-vegas-movie-studio/ clearly and unequivocally listed the $199 price in the middle column for Upgrade: VEGAS Pro 16 if purchased by September 10th. This was the same price as the Edit version, but it was listed for Vegas Pro 16 too.

I jumped on it attempting to make the purchase. The purchase was allowed to go through but at an elevated price higher than that advertised.

The only allowable purchase option using the online store was $249.00 US while at the same time the website touted a limited time price of $199.00. The website has since been revised to remove this $199.00 price and list the higher price.

Was this a mistake on the part of Magix which is now corrected or did Magix jump the gun with an advertised special they were not prepared to honor?

Either way, the reasonable solution for Magix is to honor that lower price that they promoted on their website, and to honor it for all who attempted to make that purchase less they are advertising a lower price and then automatically raising without warning or notice it as the buyer tenders their payment.

This would be the eCommerce equivalent of the grocer's thumb on the scale. Or worse.

Brian

Jorma Nippala
August 29th, 2018, 01:04 AM
To Brian et al.
There was another poster here who did quote the email.
It was a mistake/obvious error on the part of Magix which was corrected in less than 24 hours. The mistake was in the small print details. Right above it was the correct price in bold and much larger font size. (See the screenshot in the thread linked below). As you say the error was made aware to the buyer in the purchasing process as it described clearly what he/she was getting and what it would cost.

There was an early thread on the Magix Vegas forum informing/asking Magix about the price and the admin responded.
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/so-which-is-it-249-or-199--112598/
(Note that the mention in the linked thread there was deleted after the mistake was corrected.)

The Vegas Pro 15 Edit has currently the upgrade purchase option still at the $199 that was mentioned earlier here.

And btw., Sony/SCS did not allow the new owner of the version that you sold to have an upgrade price if you had used your S/N to upgrade to a new version.

Renton Maclachlan
August 29th, 2018, 04:48 AM
Jorma...I'm aware that the buyer of a second hand version was not entitled to an upgrade price to a new version, but was entitled to all upgrades within a version. To be eligible to get an upgrade price you had at some point to have bought Vegas at the full price. It was a good scheme as by selling an older version on, the number of Vegas users increased, and some of them no doubt would have bought in at full price. Eventually.

Out of interest, something I'm uncertain of is whether an old version of Vegas will work simply by plugging in the licence key, without any contact with Magic. Thus if I sold on my recent versions as is, with a licence key to unlock it, would it work for the buyer? In the past the licence was transferred to the buyer, but in this case I guess I would retain the licence to a version I had sold on. I have several versions I would like to cash in on if at all possible. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would be more than happy to get an older version for a cheap price, even if they can't get upgrades for it, and even if they didn't hold the licence.

Jorma Nippala
August 29th, 2018, 06:14 AM
"Upgrades within a version" were/are updates in the SCS and Magix Vegas terminology. I'm not aware that the new owner would not be able to update.
You get this "information regarding the upgrade" on the Magix Vegas upgrade product pages: "You can upgrade at a reduced price with a previous version or other authorized product. Please have your login details or serial number ready."
As for software activation, read item 10 here https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-faqs-and-troubleshooting-guides--104787/
Read also item 9.
As for selling your Vegas software, best try and ask Magix customer support https://support2.magix.com/customer/en/request

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
September 3rd, 2018, 09:12 AM
Vegas Pro 16 Update 1 (Build 261) released.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-16-update-1-build-261--112767/

Renton Maclachlan
November 3rd, 2018, 04:14 PM
I just fired up Vegas and got an advert for Vegas Pro16 at $199... Is this for real? :-)

Actually there seem to have been specials being running almost continuously since v16 was released, even though the first one was build as 'get it now while the special lasts - end of month' type of thing...

I've wondered whether or not as many people as they hoped have picked up v16 and so have been trying to entice more to do so. For the first time since v6 I have deferred upgrading, mainly because Magix has stopped allowing owners to sell their old versions on. If that was allowed again, with the license able to be transferred to the new owner, I would be in like a flash. Without that option I'm reluctant. I said earlier in the thread that I would buy at $199 but I doubt I will now...no sell-on option and slack exchange rate for NZ kills it for me...though if I could sell on, that would overcome the exchange rate disincentive...

Renton

David Peterson
November 6th, 2018, 12:02 AM
Does Vegas yet support Aux TC syncing from within the editor?

Gordon Hoffman
November 6th, 2018, 08:07 AM
I got an email this morning that say Vegas Pro 16 for 199.00. But then it also says valid until January 01, 0001. Hmm... I guess I missed it.

Renton Maclachlan
November 23rd, 2018, 12:52 PM
I'm still being hammered by 'Special' adverts for Vegas 16.

Does anyone from Magix read this site or this thread? If so, why not reinstate the sell-on option? You may get more takers...

I love Vegas but I'm not upgrading...

Renton