View Full Version : HDR setting too dark

Randall Cooke
September 13th, 2018, 08:44 AM
I have the HDR-NX80 and when I select a picture profile, number 10 which is HDR, the video is really dark and hard to light externally. Even change the LOG settings isn't much help. Adding more light to the room doesn't see to help much either. Any suggestions or tutorials on the subject? Thanks.

Christopher Young
September 13th, 2018, 09:13 PM
If you are not looking at the signal on an HDR monitor/screen it will look dark. Even the camera's screen and VF aren't truly HDR capable. If you want to brighten it up and give it more contrast for viewing on normal Rec 709 type TV's and monitors you will have to do that in post.

The following videos off the Z90, same sensor as yours look good but really do need more brightness and contrast to view at optimum levels on a normal TV or PC monitor. 99% of which are not HDR capable.

Likewise depending on where any of my productions go I shoot LOG on the FS7 and the job gets two grades. One for ITU Rec 709 and the other if required for ITU-R BT 2020 for 4K HDR delivery.

Remember that the HLG modes in camera were designed for live distribution to 2020 monitors and TVs. It was never ever envisaged that it would be a post standard for grading. Finally watch Alistair Chapman's explanation of what's involved when working with Sony's HLG / HDR cameras. Around the 8 min mark there is a fairly straight forward explanation as to why your HDR is looking flatter and duller on non HDR monitors/TVs.

SONY PXW-Z90 4K HLG TEST 7 - YouTube

SONY PXW-Z90 4K HLG TEST 2 - YouTube

Sony at NAB Show 2018: Practical HDR Workflow with Alister Chapman - YouTube

Chris Young
Sydney