View Full Version : Mounting Jib onto van?

David Banner
November 10th, 2018, 10:13 AM
I want to attach a jib to my full size Ford Tranit van to shoot moving shots of vehicles, bicyclists, runners etc.
At first I was going to just fabricate/attach a mount coming up from the hitch to attach the jib.
Then I thought of having an L shape mount come up from the hitch and then back into the van to place the jib pivot center just inside the rear of the van.
Lastly I decided that using a large platform at the rear might be better for several reasons. So I found a pic showing someone that had done something simiar.
This poses several obvious challenges.

When I bought the van I specifically got the full size factory hitch reveiver for the future hope of mounting a camera and also for this jib idea.
My thoughts are to modify a heavy duty hitch mounted car carrier with additional bracing and some type of high hat coming up to attach the jib to.
The tail end of the jib would swing back into the open van where the operator would be. The doors will have to be braced open (another challenge). The rear of the van should create a wind tunnel block to help with some of the wind that comes with speed.
My thoughts are to mount a remote control gimbal (Ronin MX?) to the jib instead of a remote pan tilt head.
Measures for securing the operator inside would have to be taken also.
I have been kicking around several thoughts but wanted to ask on here since you guys are smart and creative.

David Banner
November 10th, 2018, 10:22 AM
https://www.provideocoalition.com/filming-smooth-driving-footage-on-a-tight-budget/
here's a link with a photo showing the basic idea

Bruce Dempsey
November 11th, 2018, 10:12 AM
Here's my son 9 years ago. Of course the van isn't hurtling down a bumpy road but in some circumstances it works lol