View Full Version : Freelance Job Websites

Jeff Zimmerman
December 7th, 2018, 08:37 PM
Hello Everyone, wondering if anyone knows for some freelance job websites they have had success with?

Currently have successfully used:

Smartshoot.com

ProductionHUB.com

Thanks! -Jeff

Paul Cronin
December 8th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Jeff,

Thanks for posting were you have had success. I have tried all of them without any success. I still get my work by word of mouth, through my site, or gorilla marketing.

Jeff Zimmerman
December 8th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Thanks Paul, always curious where people find work. Very much the same thru referrals. 2019 I’m hoping to open up for some new client. New website in progress.

Josh Bass
December 9th, 2018, 12:22 AM
The general consensus is that unfortunately the successful folks in our industry do NOT find their clients through those types of sites or people googling "videographer [insert city/town]" -- perhaps wedding folks aside-- but through hardcore pavement pounding/cold calling, aggressive self promotion/networking, and referrals/word-of-mouth.

That said, I'm terrible at everything I listed above and have scored a few gigs from Production Hub, Mandy, Gigsalad, Thumbtack, Craigslist, maybe a few others. Also unfortunately many of those sites only allow those with paid profiles (as opposed to the free listings) to pursue leads on the site, though potential clients can still contact you even if you have a free profile.

Also, when I say I've "scored a few gigs" I mean it literally...just a handful in the entire time I've been in the industry, from any/all of those sites. My main clients are a few folks that thankfully keep coming back and have for more than a decade, the rest are the occasional finds from those sites, people who find ME from a search and everything works out, and a few that I hear from 1-3 times a year if that.

Hugh DiMauro
April 14th, 2020, 09:23 AM
Josh:

I cannot believe you are not in great demand in the industry based on your talents. Your claymation shorts alone should have caused your great "discovery." "Non Practicing Productions." Remember? Oy vey...

Josh Bass
April 14th, 2020, 09:30 AM
Thanks. I remember. Somehow it didnt pan out that way though...

Andrew Smith
April 15th, 2020, 04:23 AM
Well, there's always the music career to fall back on.

Bass² [SONG] - YouTube

Andrew

Josh Bass
April 15th, 2020, 05:16 AM
I don’t want to brag cause everyone is suffering right now, but I have made TENS of dollars in the music industry.

Andrew Smith
April 15th, 2020, 05:33 AM
Try playing the bagpipes. People are usually prepared to pay good money for it to stop.

Andrew

Josh Bass
April 15th, 2020, 01:58 PM
Genius. I don’t know what the technical term is being paid NOT to do something obnoxious but it’s definitely a business avenue worth exploring.

David Peterson
April 17th, 2020, 06:07 PM
Genius. I don’t know what the technical term is being paid NOT to do something obnoxious but it’s definitely a business avenue worth exploring.

This does happen in hollywood.

People will go around trying to find a film shooting, then start up their leaf blower until someone from production pays them off to go away

Josh Bass
April 17th, 2020, 07:34 PM
Diabolical.