View Full Version : Uncompressed video

Danny Jones
November 3rd, 2005, 10:50 AM
Need help here. I recently purchase used Kona SD card for editing in uncompressed video. Question if I capture footage via firewire can I still edit in uncompressed timeline? I guess my question is will it go from compressed to uncompressed? Also in order to edit with an NTSC monitor do i need the AJA D5D converter? Please help newbie to uncompressed world. I do not have RAID setup yet but I read where you can edit with Kona JPEG compression with a single drive.

Zach Mull
November 3rd, 2005, 11:58 AM
If you put DV footage in an uncompressed SD timeline then FCP will convert it, but you will probably have to render every frame before it will play back. Mixing formats on the fly is not a strength of FCP.

P.S. I don't know anything about the AJA converter.

Danny Jones
November 3rd, 2005, 12:23 PM
Ok thanks Zach, now I have already begun editing on dv timeline, can I just export to SD timeline and not loose any editing I have done?

Danny Jones
November 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM
Anyone know which converter will work to edit on NTSC monitor?

Zach Mull
November 3rd, 2005, 01:05 PM
Yes, if you're editing in the same timebase then you should be able to just copy and paste the clips. You might want to check on what, if any, distort settings FCP applies to the DV clips to compensate for the extra 6 lines of resolution in the uncompressed sequences.

Shane Ross
November 4th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Uhm...if you captured using the Kona card, then it IS uncompressed. The beauty of the Kona is that is captures uncompressed video over firewire.

Did you not get any documentation with this? It sounds like you don't really know how this works.

Danny Jones
November 4th, 2005, 07:53 PM
As stated in above post, footage was not captured via Kona SD, instead I captured via firewire from DV. I think you are referring to AJA IO that has firewire, this is Kona SD card and it does not have firewire. I just wanted to know if captured from DV will it uncompress on timeline or will I have to capture from SDI but I think Zach cleared that up for me.

Graeme Nattress
November 5th, 2005, 06:56 AM
What I want to know is "why?". Are you connecting a DV to deck to the Kona over SDI? Are you mastering to DigiBeta?

If you're not, you may as well have stayed in a DV timeline, only perhaps making an uncompressed master on disc for DVD authoring, but that doesn't need a kona card.

Graeme

Danny Jones
November 5th, 2005, 09:14 AM
I have not connected a dv desk to Kona SD. I had some footage that was already capture from a dv deck and wanted to know if it will uncompress on the timeline.