View Full Version : Recommendations for a WA attachment - Kenko 065 / Canon WD58 / Raynox HD7000

Kerean Koh
November 4th, 2005, 10:49 PM
I'm looking for a WA lens convertor which is the "best" in the field - cost is not a factor here (unless of course it reaches ridiculous proportions).

My WA should ideally have the following:

1. Sharpness - this is the ONE thing that cannot be compromised as I'm a quality freak.

2. Field of View / Distortion - Simply put, the wider, the more distortion generally. I'd like to have as wide as possible and yet as little distortion as possible. IT appears from reading the lens review threads that convertors around 0.6-0.7 fit this category. Anything wider and distortion gets VERY obvious.

3. Ease of Use - I like the Kenko 065Pro as it comes with its own big hood. Yet I also noticed from the Lens Review thread that there's a cheapo version called the KVC-05 which has a neat feature of snapping on rather than screwing on - this is an advantage on the field as it permits quick switching on and off. But right now I think I won't be considering that as the quality may not be as good...

Do you have any recommendation on a WA or some advice on the same? I origianlly went for the 065Pro as it comes with its own hood - but thereafter I realised that I could just use that hood with other conversion lenses - (provided the outer diameter isn't too far off). the HD-7000 seems to fit the outer diameter

I've already purchased the hood and was waiting for stock for the 065 Pro to come in - but now reading the lens review threads in this new light - made me wonder if I should also consider other WAs.

The Kenko 065 seems to be low on distortion too....

Now its a tossup between the Kenko065, the Canon and the Raynox - anyone has any recommendations to share?

Don Bloom
November 5th, 2005, 07:38 AM
I have both a Century Optics and KenkoPRo for my PD150s and use the Kenko more than the CO. (both are bayonet mounts BTW)
Here are my reasons. FIRST, the PRO is just as sharp on the short end as the CO-on the long end neither are as sharp as one would like but remember they are WA attachments and not made for tight zoom in. SECOND, the KenkoPro has threads on the front end which make for attaching hoods and or filters easy. The CO has no threads so you NEED a matte Box. THIRD, the KenkoPro is about 1/2 the money of the CO so WHEN (not if) the camera or lens hits the ground, if it breaks, I've lost less money. Stupid reason I know but seriously in my work I have found over the last 4 going onto 5 years the KenkoPro has worked just fine against the CO lens which many consider to be the gold standard of lens attachments.
HOWEVER, use this info at your own risk. Do Not Attempt at home. Professional driver on a closed course. Ask your doctor before taking. Blah, blah, blah!!!
Anyway, good luck,
Don

Kerean Koh
November 5th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks Don for your input - it seems from what I read that it's often not worth the extra money for the CO as opposed to other lenses.

Anyone else with any input would be great - especially in relation to the Canon or the Raynox - the Kenko Pro is backordered since god knows when and I'm searching to see if there are any viable alternatives, or even, better replacements for.

I have both a Century Optics and KenkoPRo for my PD150s and use the Kenko more than the CO. (both are bayonet mounts BTW)
Here are my reasons. FIRST, the PRO is just as sharp on the short end as the CO-on the long end neither are as sharp as one would like but remember they are WA attachments and not made for tight zoom in. SECOND, the KenkoPro has threads on the front end which make for attaching hoods and or filters easy. The CO has no threads so you NEED a matte Box. THIRD, the KenkoPro is about 1/2 the money of the CO so WHEN (not if) the camera or lens hits the ground, if it breaks, I've lost less money. Stupid reason I know but seriously in my work I have found over the last 4 going onto 5 years the KenkoPro has worked just fine against the CO lens which many consider to be the gold standard of lens attachments.
HOWEVER, use this info at your own risk. Do Not Attempt at home. Professional driver on a closed course. Ask your doctor before taking. Blah, blah, blah!!!
Anyway, good luck,
Don

Zack Birlew
November 5th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Well, I've just recently used my new Canon WD-58H with my GL1. This was a HUUUUUGGE step up from the cheap Opteka WA I was using =). Sharp? Well, not terribly sharp, but it's the sharpest I've seen yet and it has barely any vignetting (I use a ripped rubber hood spacer instead of a UV filter for lens protection so I have to zoom in a little, without the spacer there is no vignetting!). Century Optics lenses are nice, but I would go with something else as their lenses tend to be overpriced by comparison to some of the competition, only if I needed an anamorphic or some specialty lens attachment would I go with Century Optics.

For the PD150, (which is 58mm threaded right?), I would go with the WD-58H as it is an all-around good lens. I don't know about Kenko's stuff, I've never used or have even seen one, so I can't compare it to the others.