View Full Version : funky adapter for gl-1 lens

bokkus37
December 10th, 2002, 01:18 AM
this is just a shot in the dark but here goes... a while ago when i was in love with the gl-1 i looked at tons of web pages for accessories. on one site i found this really strange lens attachment that converted to wide, but not really. it was some really strange aspect ratio and i can't remember what it was. i didn't look like a professional site. i think.. does anyone have any idea what i'm talking about?
?

Don Palomaki
December 10th, 2002, 05:26 AM
There are a couple 16x9 adapters available - Century and Optex to name two offereings. Is that what you saw?

Hilary Cam
December 12th, 2002, 11:28 PM
was it....

http://members.macconnect.com/users/b/ben/widescreen/235.html

??

Im also very interested in attaining 2.35:1 anamorphic through a GL2. Still lookin at whether ill be getting a GL2 (XM2) or a Sony VX2000.

One more thing, the GL2 and VX2000 look, well frankly, they look small, flimsy and cheap compared to cameras like the XL1s. Yet deliever comparable video quality. Am I just being superficial taking them to be inferior at mere face value?

_____
And yes I know you can never achieve 'true widescreen' with these cameras. But for the budget most of us have, it will have to do for timebeing

Ken Tanaka
December 12th, 2002, 11:53 PM
"Am I just being superficial taking them to be inferior at mere face value?"

Yes, but it's certainly an excusable prejudice. When we see cameras of roughly the same size and form factors as those used by proud pappas shooting a new-born we immediately assume it's sub-professional. Certainly, the GL-2 and VX2000 aren't in the same league as the higher-res 15lb ENG shoulder bricks. But they're not that far out of the league. As an owner of both the GL-2 and the XL1s I can say that they produce very comparable results, with the GL-2 having a slight edge in certain imaging situations. The XL1s has the edge in its flexibility and expandability, largely due to its interchangeable lens and viewfinder as well as its support for 4-channel audio recording. But when you want to travel light and small the GL-2 takes the cake.

I've never worked with the VX2000 but I can say with confidence that it and the GL-2 are very capable of producing professional results in the hands of a skilled shooter.

Graham Bernard
December 13th, 2002, 02:24 AM
Ken - You raised a very interesting point "in the hands of a skilled shooter" - I know that a series of online or some sought of just above basic camera work tutorials would benefit me - Any ideas? Presently I'm getting really peed-off by my sense of keeping the XM2 still and when to frame and when to zoom - not too much of this I know this. Too many questions, I know, but some type of direction from you or others will be very welcomed.

Having been involved in the arts all my life, the RUle of Thirds is grounded into me - I have been given a thumbs-up with regard to my compostion by a pro cameraman, so I feel happy with my work so far.

Thanks in advance

Grazie

Ken Tanaka
December 13th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Grazie,
DVCreators.net has just released an instructional video CD titled "Shooting Awesome Video" tha offers an excellent tutorial well worth the $24.95 introductory price. Highly recommended. See http://www.dvcreators.net/ for more info and to order.

Graham Bernard
December 13th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Thanks Ken - Now all I need to do is find out how I get it in the UK - Any ideas?

Ken Tanaka
December 13th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Won't they ship to the UK? Give them a call. I'm sure they'll work it out with you. They're good folks and produce good face-to-face classes, too.