View Full Version : XM2 And Sennheiser

Cliff Elliott
November 10th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Hi all, I recently purchased a Sennheiser ew100G2 Wireless mic system.
When I set it up on the XM2 I found the factory settings on the Sennheiser to give me distorted sound, to over come the problem I had to reduce the sensitivity on the transmitter consderably.

The strange thing is when I pluged the reciever into my lap top and used the factory settings It recorded good quality sound.

Any ideas why the XM2 is so sensitive.

Regards, Cliff Elliott

Graham Bernard
November 10th, 2005, 02:38 AM
As you are getting good input to your PC, it would point to the camera not being setup for your Senni wireless. But before you change anything, check to see/hear what you get with your XM2. Do this by swapping out the Wireless for a hard-wired cable jack input mic. If you get the same distort, and presumably you are using Manual Audio, alter the Manual dials accordingly. If you are still getting distort then there are some other unsavoury options available.

Grazie

Don Palomaki
November 10th, 2005, 05:33 AM
The default mic input sensitivity for the GL series, and probably the XM series, is MIC level. The default output level for many wireless mics is line level, which causes the mismatch/overload. The solutionis to reduce the output of the wireless mic to mic level, or to reduce the input sensitivity of the camcorder if you can.

Turns out that on many comuter sound cards the MIC jack input sensitivity is not true MIC level, it may be closer to line level and in any case much higher than camcorder mic input levels. This may explain why there was no problem with your laptop. These computer sound cards require an amplified mic such as are sold for use with computers and will not provide satisfactory performance with a high quality mic designed for more traditional audio use.

Why is this? Some speculation: high output level from wirreless mics can save a mic input on mixers and can provide better signal to noise in field recording applications. A computer is an electicically noisy environment, and it is difficult (i.e., more costly) to make a reasonably clean noise free mic amplifier operate in that environment, so the low cost solution is to require a higher level input signal at the MIC jack.

Alan Craven
November 10th, 2005, 08:35 AM
I can confirm that the input jack sensitivity of the XM series is the same as the GL series, ie. mic level NOT line. For the XM1 it is -55dBV with a 600 Ω microphone, the attenuated level being -35 dBV. The input on the XM2 is variable.

Graham Bernard
November 10th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Much MUCH better replies than mine . .! Grazie

Cliff Elliott
November 10th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks everyone, I will do some testing over the weekend, it would seem from the information you have given me I need to tune the sennheiser system to the camera.

I don't have a lot of knowlege regarding any thing audio and have appreciated the information, for instance I did not know there were two input levels, Line Level & Mic Level, me thinks I may have to start looking into this black art of audio.

Again thanks for the replies.

Regards, Cliff Elliott

Don Palomaki
November 10th, 2005, 08:31 PM
There is also a MIC ATT setting, which is useful if you are in very loud venues. It helps prevent overloading when using the internal mic, or an external mic, or an external mic with high output. However, the MIC ATT setting will not deal with line level inputs. It puts the input sensitivity about half way between mic and line.

Darko Flajpan
November 11th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Try to play with volume knob on receiver, that helped me with my ew500.

Cliff Elliott
November 12th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Okay, it is now Sunday morning and I have been experimenting and have found if I set the sensitivity on the transmitter to -20 and the AF out setting on the Reciever to -12 using the auto settings on the camera gives a very nice natural sound.

Using these settings then switching to manual control of the audi channels on the camera allows me to regulate the volume I am recording.

It would appear the camera is to sensitive (if that is the right description) for the default factory settings of the Senni.

Again thanks to all who reaponded.

Regards, Cliff Elliott

Graham Bernard
November 13th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Rejoice! "It would appear the camera is to sensitive (if that is the right description) for the default factory settings of the Senni." - Cliff, this is a GOOD thing - honest! - As they say in the trade, "If you GOT it flaunt it!" - meaning, be happy you have such a stupendous piece of kit that is the XM2 - oh yes. .. even with its flaws - and there are a few - the audio AND the 20x optical were the main reasons why I bought it. And then there was the budget I had then!

"Too sensitive . . " ? Nah . . just good! Others struggle.

Grazie

Don Palomaki
November 13th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Canon loyalists might say that the factory setting output of the Sennheiser is too high for for the GL/XM2 <g>. In any case, good that it can be adjusted to match different systems.

Cliff Elliott
November 13th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Hi Graham, thanks for that, actually I wasn't complaining about the camera, I was really just giving feed back to the list just in case someone else had a simillar problem.

I love my XM2, have had it for over two years now, I have recorded approxmatly 120 83ME Master Panasonic tapes with it over that time, in diverse locations such as the surf beaches of southern Australia to the dust of the out back and humid tropical areas of this country.

And it has never missed a beat, It even took a spill along with me when I was trying to shoot from a push bike in the Flinders Ranges, A Over T went I and the camera with me ending up with grazing down my arms belly and legs, and the XM2, just one scratch. This was over twelve months ago and it just kept doing its thing.

Like you the three things that I found attractive were the 20 x Optical, the manual control over audio and the price.

Regards, Cliff Elliott