View Full Version : How was this effect done?

Jim Rog
November 21st, 2005, 04:11 PM
Hi

Anyone know how these effects were done? is this a difficult effect to do?

http://ryanw.michaelfrisk.com/ryan-w/cloning.html

Mike Teutsch
November 21st, 2005, 04:38 PM
Just amazing what twins can do!

Mike

Jim Rog
November 21st, 2005, 04:51 PM
lol

Come on you know that's not twins, it’s a trick what i want to learn very much.

They do this effect in many movies but would like to know how to do it.

Mike Teutsch
November 21st, 2005, 05:09 PM
lol

Come on you know that's not twins, it’s a trick what i want to learn very much.

They do this effect in many movies but would like to know how to do it.

Ha HA!

Still, I looked at them all and from what I can see, and meaning no disrespect to the young man promoting these, I still think that trick is on those who believe it is a visual effect and not a con job. If he wants to show them as real video effects he needs to add the raw footage and the final video. I do not think that will happen anytime soon. I would love for him to prove me wrong. And by the way, how much trouble would you have making the clipboard scene? Shoot it and just say it is two different shots combined!

You did notice that he is promoting sales of $110.00+ light sabers on ebay right?

I hate to be a downer on this, and I may be wrong, so others can chime in!

Best of luck Jim.

Mike

Patrick Jenkins
November 21st, 2005, 06:56 PM
It's called motion tracking (and optionally rotoscopping/compositing).

RealViz makes the best motion tracking there is IMO (intelligent and it auto tracks/auto keyframes). I've used it for a number of 3d -> camera footage composites.

http://www.realviz.com/products/mpro/index.php

Retimer (slowmo bullet time) and ImageModeller (3d set artist lifesaver) are also worth their weight in platinum.

*edit*

Matchmover would track the shots and give sub/pixel perfect motion tracking. Once you've got those points, just composite in your additional layers of footage. Retimer will allow you to correct inconsistencies in dolly movement (as in the first quicktime movie on the site). Any intelligent motion stablizer can also aid in cleaning up the footage for motion tracking.

I've only watched the first movie, but that shadow on the first clone on the back of the couch is off. Regardless, good job.

*edit again*

The most important part of good cloning is keeping lighting correct. Not only does the light have to be correct based on the clones in the scene, but you have to fake somehow the indirect bounce (like global illum/radiosity in 3d sorta) you'd have by having the actual clones really next to each other. That's where most cloning breaks down, but this guy did rather well.

Anyway, enough from me :)

Mike Teutsch
November 21st, 2005, 07:12 PM
It's called motion tracking (and optionally rotoscopping/compositing).

RealViz makes the best motion tracking there is IMO (intelligent and it auto tracks/auto keyframes). I've used it for a number of 3d -> camera footage composites.

http://www.realviz.com/products/mpro/index.php

Retimer (slowmo bullet time) and ImageModeller (3d set artist lifesaver) are also worth their weight in platinum.

*edit*

Matchmover would track the shots and give sub/pixel perfect motion tracking. Once you've got those points, just composite in your additional layers of footage. Retimer will allow you to correct inconsistencies in dolly movement (as in the first quicktime movie on the site). Any intelligent motion stablizer can also aid in cleaning up the footage for motion tracking.

I've only watched the first movie, but that shadow on the first clone is off. Regardless, good job.

*edit again*

The most important part of good cloning is keeping lighting correct. Not only does the light have to be correct based on the clone, but you have to fake somehow the indirect bounce (like global illum sorta) you'd have by having the actual clones really next to each other. That's where most cloning breaks down, but this guy did rather well.

Anyway, enough from me :)

There you go Jim! If he is right, not sure about that, but if so it can be yours for only about $8,000.00. Get that checkbook out and your in business. No need for twin actors, just twin, triplet, and quadruple checking accounts!

Enjoy,

Mike

James Emory
November 21st, 2005, 07:13 PM
That kid is very talented and needs to be working in an SFX facility! Some of those light saber sequences were very impressive as far as the effect itself and the coverage. He actually inserted himself into one of the latest Star Wars films!

http://ryanw.michaelfrisk.com/ryan-w/index.html

Light Saber Sequence
http://download.theforce.net/theater/fxprojects/ryandork/ryan_vs_dorkman_480.mov

Mike Teutsch
November 21st, 2005, 07:17 PM
That kid is very talented and needs to be working in an SFX facility! Some of those light saber sequences were very impressive as far as the effect itself and the coverage. He actually inserted himself into one of the latest Star Wars films!

http://ryanw.michaelfrisk.com/ryan-w/index.html

I agree! Just let me have some fun OK!?!?!?

Mike

James Emory
November 21st, 2005, 07:23 PM
I agree! Just let me have some fun OK!?!?!?

MikeOkay, okay....

Mike Teutsch
November 21st, 2005, 07:39 PM
Okay, okay....

Hey James,

Have you tried this software? Seems to add to a hypothesis I have partially stated before. That the cameras will be so good in a few years, that all the film look and DOF, etc. will be built in, and if the software keeps advancing like this, then everyone is in the business and we all will work for minimum wage and for the fun of it.

Perhaps,,,,,,,content will again be the real King!!!!!!!!!???????? 1000 channels on the dish and 100 new movies a night!

Ooh, Sounds like a nightmare to me!!!!

JMHO-----MIke

Jim Rog
November 21st, 2005, 08:05 PM
Thanks Patrick for the great explanation sounds like a lot of work for a beginner?

mr teutsch

i like you your a funny guy

Mike Teutsch
November 21st, 2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks Patrick for the great explanation sounds like a lot of work for a beginner?

mr teutsch

Thanks Jim. But remember, looks are not everything! Oh, you mean you think what I write is funny! Thanks! It's nice to appreciated for something besides the way I look!

Mike

Jim Rog
November 21st, 2005, 08:26 PM
James

i didn’t see that clip before what you posted up but now i just watched it what can i say the guy is great and what he does is top stuff hope one day i can be as good as that.

Mr Teutsch

i have no clue to what you look like haha

Mike Teutsch
November 21st, 2005, 08:46 PM
James
Mr Teutsch
i have no clue to what you look like haha

Jim,

Of course, you have no idea what I look like! Sorry about that. Here is a picture from just three weeks ago! It should clear up any misconceptions, and ambiguities.

http://treasurecoastvideo.com/DVinfo%20pic.jpg

Have a great day, and I wish I had your looks!

Mike

Patrick Jenkins
November 21st, 2005, 09:10 PM

mr teutsch

Unfortunately yeah.. He's defintely working towards a level beyond the hobbyist (visual effects TD or compositor, etc). Not to say a casual user can't pull it off, but it will take a bit of work ;-)

Steven White
November 21st, 2005, 10:10 PM
Ryan Weiber is talented, and he does work at an FX house... I'm not sure which one though. He does not have a twin. Doing cloning effects is simple enough - you just shoot the video and mime out each part. You then use compositing software like Adobe After Effects (which Ryan used) and mask the characters such that they both appear.

If you want a physically moving camera, you need very repeatable camera work, and the pros do this with motion control. Ryan did it with a Lego train.

The mirror shot is simply accomplished with a little masking and some reversing and slowing of the footage, or exceptional miming skill.

Any direct interaction usually requires a third object. For handing off the coffee cup as an example, usually the cup is placed on an object like a stool or a chair. Film one side putting it down, the other side picking it up, line up the two in time and mask out the chair.

All that is really required is a little compositing know-how and a lot of patience.

-Steve

Jim Rog
November 24th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks Steven for all that great info