View Full Version : editing on 20" wide flat panel

Richard Tamayo
November 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I am in the market to lighten up my desk.I currently have 2 17" crts,duel view.
I seen this ad for ( DELL - UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand and 3-Year Warranty), Which I can get some sorta discount on. Do any of you edit on a 20" flat lcd wide? How do you like it?
Do you think I would be better off going with a duel lcd 17",19"?

Matt Brabender
November 24th, 2005, 06:02 PM
It's all personal perference, but I find two having two minitors better for workflow.
But I customise my workspaces. Two decent quality 19" would be grand. Much better than a 20" wide.
But others would perfer it the other way round I'm sure.

Noah Hayes
November 24th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I edit on dual 17" LCD's, I love having two separate screens instead of one, its more beneficial when view websites or running multiple programs simultaneously, but it still like it. If you wanna upgrade in size, i know someone who edits on dual 23" HP displays...so buy two of the 20" Dell's and you'll have the best of both worlds

Glenn Chan
November 24th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Dell usually runs hot deals on their LCDs... find out about them at hot deals sites for your country. for the us, try
gotapex.com
fatwallet.com

The forums may be more helpful than the main page.

(Sorry, I don't live in the US so those sites aren't necessarily the best ones.)

Richard Tamayo
November 27th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I hunted around this weekend at my local stores for lcd's for computer and learned alot. From seeing the different size lcd's, going to a single 17" or single 19" would be tough especially from duel 17"s. The prices of duel 17" or 19" lcd's would maybe equel about the same as the Dell 20" lcd wide screen. That is not counting tax and xtra warrenty, which would bring me over $500 ( trying to stay under $500). Dell has a 3,4,5 year plan and I would still be under $500. The warrenty about bad pixels is another thing also as far as computer lcd goes. That varies with the manufactuer brand. So, still deciding.

Glenn Chan
November 27th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Can you not run a 20" LCD and one of your CRTs?

Dennis Wood
November 27th, 2005, 08:41 PM
I just upgraded to 2 x 19" (700:1, 8ms AL1922) LCD's both connected via DVI. Going from a high quality 19" CRT and 15" CRT, there's simply no comparison. I looked at the 20" wide screens, but if you do the math, 2 x 19's gives you a lot more work area, for just a bit more cash. Text is now super crisp, my eyes are much happier, and my efficiency in editing has increased significantly. 19's are a bit nicer as you can run them at 1280 x 1024 (their native resolution) without changing font sizes, or messing with icons etc. Remember that a 19" LCD is the size equivalent of a 20" CRT.

Whatever you do, hook them up via DVI (eliminates two digital/analog conversions) and plan to run them at their native resolution. You'll be getting max viewing quality from them that way. I guarantee that once you start working with them, you'll forget the expense.

Be sure and check the dead pixel policy first! I spent a few hours colour matching and calibrating them (very small adjustments using their internal RGB options) as they did not match out of the box, even running factory defaults.

Richard Tamayo
November 28th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks for all the info eveyone.