View Full Version : Pleasentvill effect...I'm sure this has been asked before...??

Michael Padilla
November 27th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Ok, I have seen the examples on ken stone's site on how to do this, but it just dosn't work very well. Is there a mask that I could use or something that is just more effective? Like a filter...??

I have a friend that uses Sony Vegas, and he uses this effect all the time, WITH A CLICK OF A BUTTON nativly in Vegas. When I saw this, I thought to myself... Ok somethings wrong here, FCP is suppost to be much more powerful than Vegas, what's up?

So basically what I want to do is have a few video clips of a woman's eyes (deep blue) opening, show up and everything else in stark white & black.

Tim Dashwood
November 28th, 2005, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure how Ken Stone suggested doing it, but you should just be able to select the blue eyes with the three-way CC, then invert the selection and desaturate all the way.
Why don't you send me a TIFF frame grab of the shot and I will send you back the correct settings.

Michael Padilla
November 28th, 2005, 11:30 AM
"Why don't you send me a TIFF frame grab of the shot and I will send you back the correct settings"

Cool, Thank you! Um.. let's see, the file is on my raid system at home/office I won't be there until tomarow, so it'll have to wait, but thanks a bunch!

Tim Dashwood
December 2nd, 2005, 09:28 AM
I experimented on my own with a shot containing some red. The goal was to make everything B&W except for the red.

So, apply Color Corrector 3-way.

-Open "Limit Effect"

-Use the eyedropper and select the red.

-Click invert selection (button under the "key" button)

-Turn saturation down all the way.

-Make fine adjustments with softening, edge thin, hue, sat, and luma.

That's it. Easy Peasy!

http://homepage.mac.com/timdashwood/.Public/Pleasantville-effect.jpg

Sean McHenry
December 2nd, 2005, 05:04 PM
Also check here:
http://www.geniusdv.com/avid-pleasantville.php

For Avid but should apply to most NLEs.

I played with this last week with a field of daisies from this summer. Works pretty well.

Sean