View Full Version : Question about filters for GL2

John Lee
December 16th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Sorry for my recent influx of GL2 related questions, but I'm almost done.

I ordered my GL2 from zgc today, I talked with Christine, she was very helpful. However, they were out of stock on some filters I wanted to order.

I was wondering if any 58mm filter would work with my GL2. B&H photo has a decent selection of 58mm filters I've been looking at, but they don't say whether they are threaded filters or not.

Also, if anyone has any UV filter recommendations for the GL2, I'd appreciate it. I'm really only looking for a cheap ($30 or less) filter to protect the lens though.

I can hold out for other filters to come into zgc, but I'd like to have a UV filter to put on to protect the lens from scratches/fingerprints and whatnot.

Peter Moore
December 16th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Any 58mm threaded filter will work. If it's not threaded, it needs some other method of attachment, such as bayonet or as part of a lens hood that should come with it.

Keith Luken
December 18th, 2002, 12:36 PM
I like the B+W or Heliopan (both essentially the same).

Jeff Donald
December 18th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Don't buy cheap filters. You've spent a lot of money to get some great Canon optics. The optical quality is the very best in it's class. Why would you want to degrade the video image by using the least expensive filter you can find. If you value the quality of your video, do yourself a favor and purchase a good quality filter. At the very least get a Tiffen, Hoya or one of the Camera brands like Nikon or Canon. If you want a really good filter take Keith's advice and get a B +W or Heliopan.

Jeff

Keith Luken
December 18th, 2002, 07:23 PM
And the B+W and Heliopan are not that expensive, I actually buy them for all my cameras, GL2, ZR45 and my Sony DCS-S85, sure it was a waste on the ZR45, but why screw a camera up with a tiny scratch on a lens. I did some sample shots initially with and without the filter and I can never see the differenct so I just leave them on all the time.

Mark Austin
December 18th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Great glass and priced right, they make a "slim Line" filter that's great, it's a little thinner so if you stack them (like adding a promist) it still won't vignet... I use lots of filters in my still photography, I probably have 20-30 different sizes / colors / effects. The bulk of them are Tiffen (cuz I got a slamn' deal from a store closing) and some B+W and Heliopan. The B+W and Heliopan are better IMHO and only marginally more expensive.
my 2 cents
Mark

Michael Buendia
December 19th, 2002, 12:09 AM
my filters of choice are the pentax smc. great glass and the best multi coating on the market. they are not cheap but if your going to put something in front of the beautiful canon lens it better be top quality. you can pick up a uv for $34 and the polarizer can run you around $80. worth every penny!

mb4

Dirk Goris
December 19th, 2002, 04:48 AM
I use the B+W 010 UV-Haze 1x on my xm2 all the time and it's a great filter.

Scott Silverman
January 1st, 2003, 10:57 PM
Hi,
I was looking at a UV filter to protect the lens of my new GL2. I have narrowed it down to two filters:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh5.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___11967___BWUV58___REG___CatID=0___SID=F2B75 AC2CA0
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh5.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___11990___BWUVMC58___REG___CatID=0___SID=F2B 75AC2CA0

What is the difference between these two filters besides $15 in price?
and
Is it worth spending the extra $15 for the more expensive filter?

Thanks a bunch!

Keith Luken
January 1st, 2003, 11:10 PM
The more expensive one has a better multi-coating on both sides of the glass that is more durable, at least accourding to their own site:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/filters/filters_for_still_photography/the_b%2Bw_difference/

I would spend the extra $15!

Imran Zaidi
January 2nd, 2003, 08:08 AM
Don't make the mistake I made... I bought what was supposed to be a nice Century Optics Polarizing filter off eBay. Shoulda known better...

It distorts the image, which can be easily seen at full zoom. And as i turn the polarizer, the picture actually wobbles, indicating very poor optics.

On the plus side, I didn't spend that much on it. But you should on yours, and you'll get something better.

Tom Markos
January 2nd, 2004, 09:31 AM
I recall reading a post a year or so ago concerning filters and problems with the Canon lens cap which tends to scratch the surface of filters with too shallow of an external mounting area. This has happened to my current UV filter which has marks readily apparent in my latest video.
Since the time has come to replace the filter with another, I would like to be certain that I do not encounter the same problem with my replacement.
My first choice would be a B+W. Which models would be most suitable?

Mark Austin
January 2nd, 2004, 10:01 AM
I think the big three would be:
1. UV: to protect that great Canon lens
2. Poloriser: you already know about it
3. Black Promist: it gives you a nice smoothing effect without loosing sharpness, makes for a more "film" like look. nice gradations when shooting in high color or high contrast sceenes, and it's quite flattering for people. not for everything but an indespensible filter.

my2cents
Mark