View Full Version : DSR-PDX10 Discontinued?

Max Liptack
November 28th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I called Full Compass today, and the DSR-PDX10 has been discontinued. I wonder if it is going out of production, the salesman suggested the Sony HVR-A1U... hmmm

-Max

Boyd Ostroff
November 28th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Hi Max. I added a question mark to the end of your topic... we've been here before! No doubt the PDX-10's days are numbered, but it's still listed on Sony's US website:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/DisplayModel?m=0&p=2&sp=11&id=65263

The PAL model has been discontinued for awhile, according to their Europe website, which says it was replaced by the A1.

See the following long thread on this same topic:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49260

Also, we urge you to use the DVinfo sponsors for your purchases. If you want to buy an NTSC PDX-10 then B&H has them in stock for $1,700 after rebate as well as "kits" of various types:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=252192&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Max Liptack
November 28th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Sorry about the lack of a q-mark... I tend to do that somtimes.

I have to go through full compass for work, sorry, I am actually pushing for B&H.

Yeah I have seen that thread, but I wonder if the day has come... sorry if this post is too redundant then.

Thanks Boyd,
Max Liptack

Duane Smith
November 28th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I don't think it matters if the manufacturing of the PDX10 is discontinued* or not. If you need to buy a camera now AND a PDX10 is an appropriate purchase for your needs/budget AND you just cannot afford to migrate to HD right now AND they're still in stock and available for purchase, then I see no reason not to buy one.

Heck, I desparately need an additional camera right now for an SD project, and I've been debating between a new A1 or another PDX10 (new or used). No matter how hard I've tried, so far I cannot justify the additional $1000+ for the A1. At least, not for my SD needs. On my shoestring project budget, that extra grand could really be put to better use.

* Sidenote: I realize that cams aren't manufactured "assembly-line style", so calling it 'discontinued' is a misnomer, but it is an adequate enough term for this particular discussion.

Max Liptack
November 29th, 2005, 12:33 AM
But the only thing that makes me wonder is how repair service etc will be handled afterwards. Granted if it is cost justified for them to have repair parts in stock then yeah buying one now might be a good idea. IDK either way I want one... I just gotta wait for a few more paychecks... maybe by that time an HD cam will be in my range... or better ;) (fingers crossed)

-Max

Boyd Ostroff
November 29th, 2005, 01:33 AM
But the only thing that makes me wonder is how repair service etc will be handled afterwards.

You might get some sense of this by looking at the example of the PD-150 which has been out of production for a few years. AFAIK there isn't much problem getting them fixed. Certainly you'd be covered during the warranty period. And realize that the PDX-10 is serviced by Sony's Professional division, so you probably have better chances there than you would with a consumer camera.

OTOH... caveat emptor! ;-)

Dean Sensui
November 29th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Here's something to ponder regarding Sony's service work:

I recently had a Betamax 1000 deck serviced. And the deck is about 20 years old! Also had a Hi8 "pro" deck serviced.

So I'm 99.9% certain the PDX10 will also be servicable for several years to come.

Sean McHenry
November 29th, 2005, 11:44 PM
My only question on service would be, how much are they stockpiled in spare parts? The PD150 is a fair comparison but, almost nobody knows about our favorite little camera, other than us smart shoppers. I would guess that there are almost 10x more PD150s out there than there are PDX-10s.

On an interesting note, it would look like the mic adapter on the new tiny HD camera is our PDX-10s beloved XLR adapter. Looks identical to me. So those might be around a while yet.

Might be worth sending the little guy in for a complete checkup while parts are on the shelves.

Sean McHenry

Claudio Fernandez
December 3rd, 2005, 06:55 AM
Hi there, sorri for bad eanglish but i think you understand
i just bougth a pdx 10, the sony chile didint have it in stock, but they bring it, they ask me why i dont go for an HD , i said i dont nedd it, i dont care if there are not going to make more pdx 10
i m chekings all the post here to know beter my new camera,
so, hi to every body

Boyd Ostroff
December 3rd, 2005, 08:24 AM
Hi Claudio and welcome to DVinfo! Let us know how you like your new PDX10, and what you are doing with it.