View Full Version : What to buy for my Canon XL2?

David Griffey
November 29th, 2005, 10:07 PM
I need some help with the extras. I would like to know where I can get a reasonable trypod, case, and mics. Is there nothing worth havin on ebay. I have so much jack invested now I don't think my woman will let me spend much more. I also will be filming my boys sports.

Jonathan Jones
November 29th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Hi David
Welcome to the posts...I hear your pain regarding impending spouse imposed spending limits.

There are tons of great deals to be had on ebay...you just really have to watch out because the videography arena is rife with phony deals on ebay, but good deals can be had.

From where did your purchase your camera? Would there be any additional connection through that vendor?

The sponsors of this site are very reputable and many folks on these forums will swear by 'em. I think you can find some great deals by clicking the sponsor link and visiting their sites.

It would also help if you posted a little more info about what your short and long range plans include for the XL2 as well as what type of budget you are working with. There is a wide range of tripods, lights, mics, etc... that are suitable for a wide range of needs and budgets. Users of the forums are a great resource to let you know what works for them, and what you can expect to find based on a specific budget.

I know that when I got my XL2, I probably spent an additional $2800 on extras and accessories before I got to where I felt 'in business' and ready to go. (Not including other studio gear) Mostly basic light kit, case, mics, tripod, batteres, etc. Much of it was of lower end to to mid price range stuff also, so it is pretty specific to what you are planning to do, so your accessories and prices will vary from the experiences of others.

Congrats on the XL2. I hope you enjoy taking excellent footage.
-Jon

Greg Boston
November 29th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Don't forget to keep a close eye on our own classified section. I have done very well with used items here including a 2nd XL-2 earlier this year.

-gb-

Mike Teutsch
November 30th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Ebay is definitely a great place to find good used items, but the best place to start looking may be right here. I read many many posts here and find out what is good and usable and then I look at ebay and other place to find good deals.

For example, when I had just started getting into this about 1 year ago, I kept my eyes open for equipment. One Saturday I went with a friend to a fishing seminar. I got there early and it turned out that they had a swap meet going on in the same parking lot. I took a walk around and found an old Bogan 3030/a tripod. I got a real bargain on it for $35.00. It is a solid workhorse.

Later on, when looking for another tripod, I had a lot of trouble finding a good one. Even many expensive Bogans just aren't what they used to be. I finally started searching ebay for another 3030/a and after a couple of months I was finally able to get another one. It still cost me $138.00 or so, but well worth the money. You just have to be patient.

The only thing I would watch is that you just don't get hung up in a bidding war. Research the item and find out what it costs new before placing a bid. A saw a Canon EF adapter sell on ebay two weeks ago. It sold for exactly $100.01 more than they cost brand new at B&H right now. Those where some people who did not do their homework.

In summery, do your research and then look for the specific items you need here and other places like ebay.

Good Luck---Mike

David Griffey
November 30th, 2005, 07:27 PM
I really appreciate the help I am getting from all of you. My issue is I really don't know what brands are good. It seems there are so many and I am so ignorant. My goal is to become an expert with this camera. I want to make some nice videos and become capable enough to maybe get some work on the side. Money is an issue since I just spent $4000 on a camera. I think I could come up with about $500. So my question is what should I buy first and what are the good brands of tripods, lighting, cases? Just so you know it took me a year and a half to decide on the XL2. Also some free videos to other parents of their kids playing sports. The parents where so happy for the free DVD's my wife thought that maybe I should get a better camera.