View Full Version : shutter speed problem.....

Dean Harrington
December 5th, 2005, 12:55 AM
I shot a subject under flourscent lights at 120 shutter speed. I know it should have been at 60 but.....what can I do to tone down the light strobing in the scenes? FCP 3.
thanks

Chris Rees
December 5th, 2005, 01:26 PM
try using the flicker filter in the video bin within the effect. i know it is used for curing problems with inter-lacing, but i have used it cut out flickers on tv screens in the back ground of a scene with some success.
give it a go if you havent allready

Dean Harrington
December 5th, 2005, 03:16 PM
I'll give it a try.

Gary Chavez
December 6th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Too late now, but Never shoot on shutter under flouresents.
even on 1/60 the colors will vacilliate.
Also, I have never been able to fix that problem in editing.
Its a hard, heartbreaking mistake that you only make once.

Dean Harrington
December 6th, 2005, 03:33 PM
"Too late now, but Never shoot on shutter under flouresents." I've got a setting on my DVX100 that allows for shooting under flourescents and I've
been able to clean up the flicker but....an update, I need to smooth out the
mouth action. I used the strobing filter under "Video" in the filter bin on FCP 3. The setting at 5 was found to do the trick. Thanks for the advice.

Gary Chavez
December 6th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Cool, live and learn.

Dean Harrington
December 6th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Apparently, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the strobe filter in FCP 3 can be set to skip the flicked frames so that lighting can be smoothed out?
Now what to do about smoothing out the action? Any suggestions there?

Dean Harrington
December 8th, 2005, 02:43 AM
OK didn't look too bad using FCP with the strobe filter set at 6 but not that great either,so....I too the captured scratch clips into DV Film Maker and used the flicker setting at 60 under the 24p setting. Seems to clean the strobing up better! I've still got a little noice in the background. Any ideas on cleaning that up?