View Full Version : Pd100a vs Pdx10?

Andrew OShea
December 10th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Hey, can anyone give me some advice on which of these cameras to purchase... I want to shoot in dvcam and i know that the Pd100a is a great camera and I really like the size.... But I really dont know anything about the PDX10, can anyone enlighten me on this issue.... Thanks....

Boyd Ostroff
December 10th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Hi Andrew and welcome to DVinfo. I'm moving this thread to our PDX-10 forum. The easiest way for you to learn about the PDX-10 is to simply read back through the posts in this forum from owners who have used them and many applications.

The PDX-10 will not perform as well in low light as the PD-100a, based on all that I've read. The 100a has 3:4 native 1/4" CCD's. The x10 is smaller 1/4.7" CCD's which are high resolution such that a native 16:9 image can be captured at high quality. But the combination of smaller CCD and pixels means poorer low light response and more vertical smear in extreme conditions. I also have a VX-2000 and have measured a 2.5 f-stop difference with the PDX-10. This is offset somewhat by 14-bit DSP on the x10 which allows you to add 9dB gain with no objectionable noise. OTOH, my HVR-Z1 is probably 1 stop faster than the PDX-10.

If you want to shoot 16:9 then the x10 is the better choice. IIRC, the 100a only shoots DVCAM and not DV SP (have heard that somewhere?). The x10 does both DVCAM and DV SP. There are a lot of other differences, mostly good, on the x10 because it's a much newer design. It has double-secret internal ND filters that cannot be disabled and work automatically to keep the iris in the lens' sweet spot. This means that the iris wheel isn't always doing what you think in manual mode.

Nevertheless, I have been really happy with mine since when I got it there was no other choice for good 16:9 for under $3,000. I believe you can get them at B&H for $1,700 new which is quite a bargain IMO. If you get a 100a it'll be old and probably have a lot of hours on it.... caveat emptor!

Let us know what you decide.

Andrew OShea
December 10th, 2005, 02:15 PM
what do you mean when you say that shooting in 16/9 is better with the Pdx10? Is it because of the smaller CCD's? How much difference is there when it comes to the 16/9? Sorry if im sounding redundent but I don't know a lot about the technical end of things, Im more into the art side of things... I just want the best camera for shooting mostly gorilla... I know a lot of movies have been shot using the Pd100a but not many with the Pdx10. I guess it just seems to me that the Pdx10 is more of a prosumer camera, Also so you know if the Pdx10 has manual zoom? Wich one would you say is better for manual use?... Thanks for your help....

Andrew

Boyd Ostroff
December 10th, 2005, 02:43 PM
No manual zoom on the x10, just a rocker switch... a LANC controller can help. The PD-100a has low resolution CCD's, so to get a 16:9 proportioned image you will only be shooting 720x360 area which is then stretched vertically to 720x480. But on the x10 it samples an 1152x648 area of the CCD's which is squashed into 720x480. This gives you full quality anamorphic 16:9 with 25% higher vertical resolution than the 100a. See the following comparison I did with a VX-2000.

http://www.greenmist.com/dv/16x9/

Both cameras come from Sony's professional division. Are you shooting "gorillas" or "guerilla" style? Haven't used a 100a but it might have a little edge in manual control. Not sure that will make a lot of difference in practical use though.

For low light documentary stuff you might want to look at a used PD-150 instead. Better in the dark, better manual control. Poor 16:9 quality though.

Andrew OShea
December 12th, 2005, 10:48 PM
bought the pdx10 and as much as id like to film gorillas I meant guerrilla filmaking.... I really like the small cameras cause its easy to blend in on the bussy city streets, also its easy to carry ,,,,

Boyd Ostroff
December 13th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Sounds good Andrew. Let us know how it works out for you.