View Full Version : No Audio in Print-To-Tape with FCP 4.5

Joseph Ivey
December 12th, 2005, 11:18 AM
I have tried this every which a way. I am trying to print-to-tape from final cut pro 4.5 to a sony DSR-11, and I am getting video but no audio. I have tried both built-in-audio and dv firewire settings for audio and sometimes I will get these warnings saying that the audi and video won't match. I cannot figure out what is wrong.

Nate Schmidt
December 12th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Try setting your audio to "follow video"

Joseph Ivey
December 12th, 2005, 04:40 PM
where can I find the "follow video" option?

Zach Mull
December 12th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Almost all the settings for inputs and outputs are in the Audio/Video Settings dialog. Either open the FCP pulldown menu or hit CMD+OPT+Q then go to the A/V Devices tab.

Joseph Ivey
December 13th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Okay, I went into that menu and the only options I have for audio are Built-In and Firewire DV. There is a Firewire DV (DV50) option but it won't allow me to choose that one. When I try Built-In I get some weird message about the video and audio not matching.

Zach Mull
December 13th, 2005, 06:44 PM
If you can't choose firewire DV then FCP is not detecting your deck properly. You could try hitting "Refresh A/V Devices" (OPT+F12) or just resetting your deck, but I imagine you have tried the latter.

Joseph Ivey
December 14th, 2005, 09:20 AM
I can get to the built-In option and the Firewire dv option, it is the "Firewire DV (DV50) option that it won't let me use.

Just to make sure, if I print-to-tape and then put the tape in my XL-2 I should see the audio levels in the view finder right? The reason I ask is because that is the only way for me to check audio until my monitor comes in from B&H. I have done this and not found any audio levels.

Zach Mull
December 14th, 2005, 02:46 PM
You don't need the DV50 option with an XL2. I've never used an XL2 as a deck, but most cameras won't show you audio levels on the camera when you have them in VTR mode. The audio meters only show up in camera mode. If you are recording over firewire then it shouldn't matter - FCP's meters will be accurate.

Joseph Ivey
December 14th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Oddly enough, I fixed the problem. I am not sure how but if I go into the log and capture window, I can play the tape and hear the audio on it. I have not idea why it won't play on my camera in VTR mode. It shows the 16bit audio sign and 30p framerate in the viewfinder and both flicker when there should be audio but nothing comes out, and I can go onto another tape and hear audio jsut fine out if the camera. Weird.

Eric Emerick
December 14th, 2005, 05:05 PM
make sure you have the Down-mix icon checked in the audio mixer window when printing to tape.

Joseph Ivey
December 15th, 2005, 10:11 AM
What will happen if I don't?

Eric Emerick
December 15th, 2005, 10:58 AM
as I recall when I went thru this process for the first time awhile back, you will get no sound, only video.