View Full Version : Vcr To Xm2

Paul Higgins
December 29th, 2005, 01:54 AM
This may sem abit silly but I'm trying to capture from a vcr to my canon xm2, I have connected my av lead to the camcorder and the composit ends to the vcr output scart socket using an adapter, I have set the vcr to line1 which is in/out the camcorder is set with av/dv on and the power switch is on play(vcr) when I play the vhs tape in the vcr nothing appears on my camcorder am I doing something wrong??
Hope someone can help probably a simple answer I know.

Thanks
Paul

Graham Bernard
December 29th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Not silly.

"I have connected my av lead to the camcorder and the composit ends to the vcr output scart socket using an adapter" . . which adaptor? An adaptor that came with your XM2

"I have set the vcr to line1 which is in/out . . " Can you disconnect, and set up a monitoring TV monitor to CONFIRM and "out" signal? Yes?

" . . the camcorder is set with av/dv on and the power switch is on play(vcr) . . " That is correct.

" . . when I play the vhs tape in the vcr nothing appears on my camcorder am I doing something wrong??" Is your tape copyright protected? Try popping in a home recorded tape. Just to be sure - yeah?

Grazie

Paul Higgins
December 29th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Thanks Graham, the tape is not copyright I have done as you say but the screen stays black I can hear hissing from the camcorders speakers if this helps :(

Paul Higgins
December 29th, 2005, 03:41 AM
The adapter is a scart socket with three composite ends

Steve Carter
December 29th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Paul,

Do you know if the Scart adapter is a fully wired one? Some only have basic pins connected, and don't give the full picture, so to speak. Does the adapter have an In/Out slide switch (which should of cause be on the Out side?

Graham Bernard
December 29th, 2005, 04:08 AM
I'm suspecting your SCART.

I just repeated - for you AND me - the experiment. My Canon Scart adaptor, which HAD worked, aint! And my GOLD adaptor which has ALL the pins is working.

However, you must also get to the VCR Menu and enable the AV>DV ON switch - yeah?

So for me it is a good look at my Canon Adaptor and you:

1/- Check the SCART

2/- Ensure you have the AV>DV enabled in the VCR Menu.

Grazie

Paul Higgins
December 29th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Steve, no switches on adapter heres what it looks like
http://www.svideo.com/scart2.html

Paul

Paul Higgins
December 29th, 2005, 04:22 AM
Just tried running the vcr through the tv via the scart lead all ok
then inserted my composit leads in the tv out and the other av end to camera but still nothing on the cam?? I can see and hear the video on the tv
Strange one !!
Paul

Graham Bernard
December 29th, 2005, 04:25 AM
You done the VCR setup thing?

Paul Higgins
December 29th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Iv looked through the menu for my vcr and can't see anything relating to av output Ihave a sharp vc-mh704

Graham Bernard
December 29th, 2005, 04:32 AM
No, no no . . .sorry . .on your Camera!

Paul Higgins
December 29th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Sorry mate, yes the cam is set to av on lol

Graham Bernard
December 29th, 2005, 04:39 AM
So, do you have AV>DV enabled? Yes or no?

Paul Higgins
December 29th, 2005, 04:57 AM
av/dv is enabled

Paul Higgins
December 29th, 2005, 05:30 AM
I have just checked my scart by using tha av lead from cam into my scart adapter and putting it through my tv scart.
I can play my cam tape and it plays ok through the tv so I suppose the scart adapter must be ok

Graham Bernard
December 29th, 2005, 06:47 AM
"I have just checked my scart by using tha av lead from cam into my scart adapter and putting it through my tv scart." So, that would be the LINE out from the Camera to the TV." Yes?

"I can play my cam tape and it plays ok through the tv so I suppose the scart adapter must be ok" Only the LINE out from the Camera checks. What you are trying to do to do is "LINE IN" into the Camera. In terms of SCART that is an altogether bucket o' fish! Oh yes!

I look over the tech details of the SCART you have, and if I aint wrong, it appears it is for LINE into a device NOT for LINE OUT from a device. This in turn would imply you are NOT getting LINE OUT from your VCR to your Camera BUT would work for LINE IN to your VCR and TV - which is exactly what you are getting.

These SCARTS are very clever. What I will say, is the picture you've got of the the SCART you possess, has fewer PINS to the one I use. Is there a clue here?

I think you've got a LINE-IN only SCART. I think you need either a switching LINE-IN/-OUT SCART or a LINE-OUT SCART. By having success with your last experiment you've kinda proved it!

Sorry about the delay in responding, but I needed to lie down! LOL . .. .

Grazie

Paul Higgins
December 29th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Thank you graham yep I think weve solved it my scart must be one way Boooooo!!

Many thanks again

Paul Higgins
December 29th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Just to let you know the scart has only 5 pins

Graham Bernard
December 29th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Yeah. Mine has 7. My switching SCART is FULL of pins!

If you read closely the details of the SCART adaptor you have it would appear it is for purely LINE-IN. This is proven by the the success you've had.

SCART is a clever and needed protocol

http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/eprebel/SoundAndVision/Engineering/SCART.html

. . and this is a very SEXY SCART site . . . ooohhh yesss..

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/scartleads.html

Enjoy!

Grazie

Paul Higgins
December 29th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks Graham I know now weve solved it reading those links many thanks again, new scart adapter on the cards then !!