View Full Version : ?s on the gl2

Michael Buendia
December 29th, 2002, 04:51 PM
1st- playing around with the camera i noticed that when you zoom in from the widest point (angular) to the longest point (telephoto) my image darkens roughly by one stop (at the stop point of the tele). is this normal?

2nd-in a quiet room i notice that the on board mic picks up the motor humm. even though it's a low humm i can see in the levels that it's being picked up. is this normal?

mb4

Ken Tanaka
December 29th, 2002, 05:31 PM
1. Yes, it is normal if you are working in manual ("M") more. If you think about the physics it makes perfect sense. The closer you zoom in to a subject the smaller the relative frame size becomes and the amount of light being admitted through the lens is also decreasing. If you're using a program mode, such as Av or Tv, the camera will automatically adjust the free variable (iris or shutter speed) to maintain exposure.

2. Yes, unfortunately, that is also normal. The motor noise on the GL2 is very, very low but is it there. The solution: use a separate mic when recording very quiet scenes.

Mark Härtl
December 30th, 2002, 05:04 AM
1. don't forget the iris that will close more and more if you zoom in, starting at f1.6 at the most wide angle and ending with f2.8 at the end of the zoom (790mm focal length). you can see this if you are in manual mode and do the whole zoom-in.

Chris Hurd
December 30th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Almost all prosumer video zoom lenses will have different f/stop values for the full-wide and full-telephoto ends of the zoom range. This is normal and quite common. Hope this helps,