View Full Version : 7.4 volt battery

Andy Graham
January 3rd, 2006, 05:00 AM
I recently bought a battery from ebay for my hd100e and when i got it it was a 7.4 volt not a 7.2 which is the stock battery voltage, this happened with my xl1s and i phoned canon and they said i couldn't use it and since ive had no luck getting through to jvc i was wondering if anyone could tell me if i can use this 7.4 volt battery with my hd100e without the extra .2 volts frying something?.

Cheers Andy.

Guy Barwood
January 3rd, 2006, 11:47 PM
LiIon cells are a nominal 3.6v, but range from about 4v to 3v throughout their full charge to empty cycle, which means a 7.2v LiIon can vary as much as 8v-6v during its use. Vmount 14.4v batteryies go from about 16v->12v.

Charge up the JVC battery and see what it reads at full charge, I'll be its more than 7.2v.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the .2v, and I think Canon were just scare mongering you into buying more Canon product as well.

Andy Graham
January 4th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks Guy, i charged it up and it said 8.0 volts. That means i could have been using my other xl1s battery all this time, thats Canon up to their evil tricks telling me otherwise!

Andy.