View Full Version : Misc. Open DV from 2006

Pages : [1] 2 3

David Nelson
January 3rd, 2006, 03:27 PM
Maybe I'm late on this one, and you all know this already, but I just stumbled upon their site and its online once again.

Well if my eyes arent deceiving me, the MagiqCam is BACK! They have 2 choices, both of which handle 1-5 lb cameras. It seems reasonably priced. I had considered the MagiqCam stabilizer prior to purchasing the one from Ash Greyson. They do look reputible, I'd sure like to try what they have to offer.

http://www.magiqcam.com/

Jeremy M West
January 4th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Hey guys- Kind of in a jam here and I'm hoping you guys can help us out.

We have been ingesting DV25 material into a Final Cut suite and storing the quicktime clips on an XRAID. We have several producers who are using Windows machines and need to be able to view these clips but most importantly, they need to be able to view the timecode that is captured in the clip.

When we open these clips up in Quicktime Player on a PC, we cannot view the actual timecode. We can see the clip's run time from the first frame, but not the burned in time code from the original tape.

I figured out how to view the actual timecode by using Quicktime 6 Pro and going into the movie properties, however Quicktime 7 Pro will not display the timecode in the Movie properties window. All of our machines have Quicktime 7 installed on them.

So, is there another application for Windows that can display the actual timecode from these DV25 Quicktime files?

Thanks!
Jeremy

Armen Brus
January 6th, 2006, 04:19 AM
I have this 2CH sequence charger for v-mount sony compatable li_ion batteries, unfortunatly I lost the manual. I wonder if it is working ok.
Does sequance mean..it should charge 1 channel fully then start sharging the other?
Also on the unit says charging time 5 hours..is that for each battery??
I am using 130 Wh

Ronald Lee
January 6th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can make a list of places in Seattle where one can by DV equipment and supplies (with phone numbers?). I'm wnating to come by and try to find a Steadicam Merlin.

thanks!

Stephen Sobel
January 7th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I just got a Canopus ACEDVio card to install in a computer I am building. I will be using Vegas for video editing. The Canopus card comes with ACEDV Controller software, which has optons for adjusting image and audio settings. Do I need this software, since I will be using Vegas?

One other question. The installation manual says not to use the 4-pin power connector if you are not using a bus-powered device with the card. I will only be using the card to connect camcorders which are powered by an adapter plugged into the wall socket. Given that, I assume I do not use the 4-pin connector. Is that right?

Jeff Ray
January 8th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Hey guys,

I've got a music video/EPK shoot for this band in a couple weeks, and I'm interested in using a snorri cam for a few select shots. Anyone know where to rent one in Texas? Or is it possible to just build one?

Jason Gurwin
January 8th, 2006, 07:22 AM
I am climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro over the summer, and definitely want to film my trek up.

I was considering building a helmet cam, or using just a small handheld dv cam.

My real question is, what camera would be the best (i would likely have 30-50 hours of footage)?

Also, the major problem is battery power. I can't carry around tons of batteries because of weight issues, but on the otherhand they will not hold a long charge in the extreme cold.

What is the best solution for that? (is there lightweight handcrank chargers I could use, or some sort of backpack generator?)

Thanks, any other suggestions of video equipment I should bring up would be appreciated.

Charles King
January 8th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Like the subject title says; I'm especially interested in knowing if you have to convert a divx file that is already on your computer to the language of the Archos before it can play it back on the unit? Or is it just a matter of cutting a pasting the file from the computer to the Archos unit and just press play? I'm interested in this unit and this is the only question that is important as I do not want to have to convert the file in order to play it like I did with the archos 340 I had before. Then I might as well get a portable dvd player that can play the file directly.

I would appreciate any feedback and/or links to reviews. Thanks all.

Marco Leavitt
January 10th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Pretty cool, huh?

http://www.intersci.com/cview.html

Ed Wilson
January 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I'm new to the game and would like to ask some queations. Wondering about cold weather preformance (battery life,optics). Also wondering how much abuse these camera's can take. Planning on a lot of snowmachining , 4x4 atv, dog mushing and bush flights. Thanks

Alex Kessinger
January 12th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that could do that. I want to give it a time log of my shots and then it pulls the shots of the camera and then converts the video into a couple of formats.

It would be really cool it if could automatically upload to a website to. So does anyone know of anything?

Kim Cascone
January 14th, 2006, 12:21 AM
I am scouting around for a cheap pocket DV camcorder...the plan is to use the pocket DV cam to grab lo-fi footage for a project I'm working on...

there are many manufacturers of these pocket DV camcorders and they all have varying degrees of quality and features...so here are some q's:

- which make/model is the best quality (i.e., good battery life, decent memory capacity, useful menus, etc)
- I've heard SVP is bad quality but not sure about Aiptek, etc...

- any tips on recording camcorder files? lighting, interesting artifacts, etc?
- is there a brand that drops frames or only records clips (not based on memory capacity), etc?

- does anyone happen to know of any Pocket DV Camcorder Film Festivals? (I'm just curious to see if there is an aesthetic developing around this technology and if so what people are doing with it)

OK, thanks in advance!
Kim Cascone

Bill Rankin
January 14th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know of any video clips sold on the internet, OTHER THAN Artbeats? Any Artbeats competitors?

Thanks.

Bryon Akerman
January 17th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Hey All,

First let me say thanks to all of you guys who put your experience out there for us to learn from. After reading posts from some of you guys, I realize that I have a LOT to learn. So to Chris Hurd, Ash Greyson, Shannon Rawls, and everybody else. Thanks!

Now, the Oklahoma Heismen, the Documentary that my friend and I put together has been accepted to the NYIFC.

Now, Does anybody have some tips, pointers, or any other useful info? This is our first project and first film festival, so any pointers would be great.

I guess they have a couple of these around the country. The one we were invited to is the one in Los Angeles March 9-16.

Again, any suggestions for us would be great!!

Thanks,
Bryon <><

Nate Schmidt
January 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but check out www.dvknowledgebase.org/ if for some reason you need some more resources besides this sweet forum. :-)

Bryon Akerman
January 20th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I am looking for some royalty free footage of an old film camera. Just something basic and it doesnt have to be very long, just a 10 seconds or so.

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Bryon <><

Andzei Matsukevits
January 21st, 2006, 09:04 AM
I downloaded Divx converter, it compess video perfectly but in .divx only. How can i get .avi of that?
Or do i need some other compressor/convertor?

Colin Minihan
January 21st, 2006, 07:44 PM
on the 22nd... thats Tomorrow... Digital Interference Productions Inc. is shooting a music video with over 50 extras in North Vancouver ---- we need help... read this plz for details http://www.digitalinterference.net/superbeingadd.html

the video is being shipped off to muchmusic and muchmore music along with a giant video / album release party to take place in the next month.

thanks for taking a look, dont hesitate to call the numbers listed in the link , we could really use some help...

Thanks a ton,

Colin Minihan
www.digitalinterference.net

Muaadh Salih
January 22nd, 2006, 06:08 PM
I have (Toast 6.1 with Jam) installed on G4, OSX0.3.9
We we tried to use Spin Doctor 2.2 to digitise some audio tracks the application returned error ( Toast version 6 is required) . The only version installed is version 6.1( having upgraded from version 5)
I reinstalled , updated every thing but no joy.It was working before OK.
Contacting Roxio is just like tryig to talk with your can of soup !!
anybody have this problem before ?

Adrienne Kitchen
January 23rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Any thoughts on the Panasonic AG DVC60 vs. Sony DSR-250? Picture quality, ease of use, etc?

Mike Cornett
January 30th, 2006, 08:11 PM
DVD case labels and/or CD jewel case labels??

I have a 6 disc DVD/CD_ROM Duplicator and an Epson R200 for printing on the media.

Most of my clients, so far, have been using clear cases with no covers. They all have detrimined that the media can double as the cover if the case is clear. Of course, they save money and most of the media is for training and other promotional give-aways. Paper sleeves have also been popular.

I know, sooner or later, I'll have to design and print a nice label for a client.

What are your favorite...
1- Paper
2- Templates
3- Apps used to create i.e. Photoshop, GIMP, PhotoImpact, Etc.
4- Websites, Downloads, Tutorials
5- Products, Services, or Companies that have impressed you.

Thanks for the input!
-Mike

Henry Gray
January 31st, 2006, 12:01 PM
I have a Mitsubishi CCD colour video camera (no. CCD-200E) it has an S video
out and a BNC video out connector.
My question is- is it possible to use this camera as a remote device and connect and record to my XL1s.
If it is possible which connections should I use on the XL1s and are there
any settings I should be using to record.

Please help, I have tried several permutations but none seem to work.

John McManimie
February 2nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
Interesting idea... In February, Michela Ledwidge is offering all footage for her film Sanctuary and and allowing others to make their own version of the film:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.01/play.html?pg=2

Adam Bray
February 18th, 2006, 02:36 AM
I was looking for info on cable cams and I stumbled upon this work of art. Impressive to say the least.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/67909965/m/738004934731

Dylan Couper
February 20th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Ok, ladies and gents, it is TIME!

Dust off that camera, glue that tripod leg back on, and find that tape of your kid's recital you don't mind recording over, because it is DVC5 TIME!

The contest will begin March 9th. Go check out our DVC forum (4th from the top) for more info.

Georg Liigand
February 28th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Hi everyone,

Tomorrow they will air the legendary "Super Size Me" movie in TV here and I will certainly watch it. I did some research in IMDB and it's especially interesting that it was filmed with Sony PD150 and together with video and TV releases it has also been shown in cinemas worldwide. Now I'm wondering how does such process work for getting the footage from PD150 into widescreen and then to 35 mm film? Do you think they got good quality out of it?

Also the trailer on http://www.supersizeme.com is in widescreen, I'm curious whether they filmed in the built-in 16:9 or converted later.

If anyone has information on this film or just has ideas, then I happily hear them. Thanks a lot!

Dylan Couper
March 2nd, 2006, 03:27 PM
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/Lens_Trekker_600_AW.aspx

Has anyone seen/tested the Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 backpack with a Canon XL series camera? I'm thinking of buying one for slinging my camera around while travelling, and am wondering if it will fit with/without the VF attached, and if so is there room for extra gear/lenses.
I have several other backpacks, but I like this one because the top opens nicely for easy camera access, as opposed to how most backpacks unzip.

Jeff Ray
March 3rd, 2006, 10:52 AM
Hey guys,

I'm shooting a music video this Sunday (3/5/06) with the Panasonic SDX900 w/Pro35 adapter and Zeiss superspeeds. I plan on shooting slow-mo shots and I'm wondering what is the best way to capture such footage.

If I'm shooting the majority of the video in 24p mode, will my slow motion footage match the 24p footage if I should it in 60i? Isn't that the best way to capture slow-mo footage?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

George Palmier
March 6th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Lately I got the JVC HD100. Leaving the HDV apart, when filming in DV (PAL) you can choose between dv50i or dv25p. Although I know what that means technically, I don't know which one to choose. Any info on this please? Thank you for your interest

K. Forman
March 7th, 2006, 10:35 AM
I would for the first time in my history, be able to purchase a new camera, and money won't be an issue. Within reason, that is... don't hurt me.

Anyways, I am looking at the XL2 and the H1. I am set up for standard def DV, and using a Canopus Storm with Premiere 6, on a Win 2K system. Otherwise, the PC is fairly current. I don't really plan on doing Hi def work, but I am looking for a camera that would offer more working potential as a shooter.

Would the H1 be worth the extra few grand, even doing mostly SD?

John Jamieson
March 8th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Hi there,
I I'm keen to record DV camcorder video while having the sound input from my audio mixer (taking the sound from three mics - two presenters and the audience). It seems such a basic need, but I'm finding it really hard to find out which camcorders will allow this. There's always the external mic option, but I've found my mixer 'line' output to be incompatible with my cheap Panasonic GS11EB external mic input - probably impedance or something - get a lot of buzzing. Lots of cameras have audio in for later dubbing, but which ones will allow realtime audio line in while filming?
I'm only looking for the cheapest models for now, and also, I'm particularly interested in which older DV models allow this so I might snap one up on ebay.
Or if thre's another way of use the external mic option instead:clap:
So many thanks for your attention,
John

Gian Pablo Villamil
March 9th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Hello all!

I am working on a personal project, related to the theme of the sun. As part of this, I am looking for footage (preferably in HDV, though DV is also OK) of sunrise over various cities or memorable places around the world.

Ideally it would be one continuous hour showing pre-dawn to sunrise in the same direction, on a DV tape, or DVD-ROM. I will then condense to make an accelerated (timelapse) version.

My proposition is this: anyone who sends me a DV tape with a sunrise will get back a DVD with the collected sunrises.

Please PM me if you are interested!

Roy Bemelmans
March 9th, 2006, 05:22 AM
I was wondering, theoretically, will applying effects or transitions to video always degrade the quality of the changed frames (albeit slightly)? Even when working with uncompressed video?

Daniel Wang
March 11th, 2006, 03:41 AM
I'm building a small kit for my church, for fild production work, both by regular church members, volunteers, and expirienced lenslingers alike. It needs to be a handy cam, and have full audio and support capabilites. We already own a Sennheiser ME/K66, AudioTechnica 815b, Sennheiser G1 EW100 Handheld Condenser and Lavalier ENG set, and multiple handheld dynamic and condenser mics. Lighting (already owned) consists of 2 Lowel Omnis and a Tota Light, Rifalight, and 2 Softlights. Also, we already own a Sony MiniDV/DVCam VTR, and edit equipment, so only a camera, support, and perhaps some other ENG gadgets (on camera light, case, anything you can think of) are needed. 3 Chip with native 16:9 would be a plus, XLR I/O is a MUST. Management prefers a sub $5000 total.

I am looking at the Sony DSR PDX10, it meets most of the requirements, although I have heard that it's low light performance is not the best. Another, the Panasonic DVC30, but I am not sure about it's audio I/O. I was planning on going with Bogen/Manfrotto equipment, but have been looking at Bescor and Libec supports. I think under $200 for both brands, but I might be able to fit $579 for a Sachtler if some things can shift around, but I would love to hear what anybodies expirience with Bescor or Libec supports.

John L Scott
March 12th, 2006, 11:46 PM
So what defines film lubricant?? ie: wet or dry
Does it really matter the film type or is it the climate that creates the problem with types of film??????

Tom Kendall
March 13th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Hi everyone.

I was looking for somewhere to post this - this was the best I could find.

We're a group of guys working out of our basement, getting ready to release a new version of our portal for independent media, OfTheWorldTV (http://oftheworld.tv) We do this because we're passionate about freedom of speech, diversity of opinion and indy media.

So we need some money for servers and bandwidth for our upcoming release. We're offering our services publicly, in the form of short custom animations and vfx. We want to provide people with high-end media components for their productions,without it costing them a fortune.

Here's the link http://tinyurl.com/zw2lv

or more examples of our work at http://www.oftheworld.tv/theforge/

I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong place or broken some DVI protocol - if so I sincerely apologise. We're just trying o contact the community who we hope will appreciate our services the most :)

Best,
Tom

Tom Johnson
March 13th, 2006, 08:07 PM
were the heak can i learn about pulldowns. so confused

Michael Salzlechner
March 17th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Dont know how to call this exactly. I want to create a little trailer like all movies have for the company that made the movie.

Is there any place where you can get simple stock animations or something like that ?

How did you make yours ? Show us yours ?

Thanks in advance

Jay Varner
March 17th, 2006, 09:07 PM
All set up siig 1394b, 9pin to 4 pin connection. Now what do i do

Martin Munthe
March 22nd, 2006, 04:24 PM
Of all prosumer grade camcorders - DV/HDV/DVCPRO HD - which has the greatest exposure latitude? By that I mean a CCD or CMOS that captures the most information between dark and light. Resolution is not the key here but capturing as good as it get's with the least risk of blowing out bright light sources like windows.

Tell me what you think and what your experience is.

Michael McGruder
March 24th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Greetings,

I found this article on digg.com last night - and I apologize in advance if this has already been repeated somewhere else in any of the forums.

http://homepage.mac.com/geerlingguy/jeffscomputersupport/tech_help_articles/photography/homemade_greenscreen.html

(gotta love Home Depot) :)

Regards,
-Michael

Adrian Vallarino
March 31st, 2006, 05:23 AM
I need to rent a small TV production truck for a day in Los Angeles. It is to shoot a 5 de Mayo music event. We need a simple yet professional setup with at least 5 SD cameras and the ability to record to Beta SX , DVCam, DVCPro or XD Cam, any will do.

I was wondering if any of you has had any goo experience with a company that you would like to recommend us. Needles is to say we are low budget. :)

Fred Helm
April 1st, 2006, 06:26 PM
what is this? Im shooting SDV and editing on Vegas 6, everything is perfect until render. The movement of either the image or panning breaks up the edges of the object? Only does it after render? Rendering Mpeg2 with the NTSC DV Widescreen template. Doesnt seem so bad if rendering .avi but then have to comprees in DVD Architect? Its killing me, I just want to find the freeking render template that works...

Jad Meouchy
April 4th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm very much a newbie, but I do have a few cameras that I've been playing with:
Canon ZR25, ZR65, ZR80
JVC D30, D70, D90
2x JVC DVL9000

I'm most interested in the DVL9000s of course because of 30p, but I'm a little dissatisfied with their resolution. I'm wondering if there are any tricks for this one. Maybe something fun to play with in the EEPROM? I don't mean to find something to improve the quality, but maybe some reason to keep them.

On that note, how do people feel about the 9000? Most of what I shoot is fast motion (cars, skiing, etc) so progressive is a must. Is there another consumer-level camcorder by JVC or maybe Canon that blows the 9000 out of the water?

I need to keep it in cheap consumer cameras because I would want two or three of them. Eventually I will buy a pair of HD10s, but until then...

Jim Montgomery
April 9th, 2006, 12:44 PM
When trying to render an After Effects project I keep getting the same error message "After Effects: Out of Memory, 6188K requested." On the render status I show 82% of 2Gb.

Anyone know of a fix or work around?

Jim

OK, just increase virtual memory page file to be 4096 for all drives and pointed after effects to my external hard drive so as not to conflict with OS and Vegas on C:. Lets see what happens!

Ouch that didn't take long! Same error.

Jim Rog
April 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Hello

I came across a clip on here about 5-7 months ago its about a man who wakes up in the morning his alarm clock is buzzing i think it shows 6 am or something and he goes to the bathroom goes to toilet turns the tap on and heads to work then gets in a lift and when he’s at work he takes this drug and then something happens to him that’s as much as i can remember. it’s a very well shot clip and the camera is fast moving switching angles all the time i have done a search and put in "drug" "pill" came up with lots of topics but none of them seems to be the one i want. if you do know this short piece i am on about please post a link or the video i would be most grateful. i just wanted to watch it again since it was so well done but i just cant find it any where

Thanks

Jad Meouchy
April 13th, 2006, 01:52 AM
35mm lenses are top priority. That said, I am not sure how to proceed as far as which camcorder to get to have the best value 35mm adapter. I have been leaning towards the HD10U because of HDV, but now I am thinking about an XL2 body or a DVX100a because I'll ultimately be using the 35mm lenses all the time. I am trying to understand whether the XL would be the easiest to accept these lenses. Since it is designed for interchangeable lenses, isn't the 35mm adapter a pretty simple (read: cheap)thing?

I do a lot of point-and-shoot and almost never use artificial lighting. 30p is preferred, but I guess I could do 24p. Is there a big difference in quality between 30p and 24p on the DVX or XL?

Assuming that everything is setup perfectly and color correction in post is a non-issue, will the HD of the JVC really help?

Which route do you experienced users recommend? I have listed these in descending order of my preference
-DVX100a with 35mm vibrating adapter assembly thing - 4:3 is a major disadvantage, though
-HD10U with 35mm vibrating adapter assembly thing - cheap 16:9 HD
-XL2 body with simple 35mm adapter - a little out of my price range

I'd like to spend less, so I'm leaning towards the DVX. What I really want is an HD100, but I can't rationalize such a big step.

Lauren Capone
April 17th, 2006, 02:22 AM
How might one play separate video content on 6-12 individual screening units (projectors, flat screens...) from a central unit, ideally from a Mac storing the video? Does anyone know of equipment/software that makes this or a similar equation possible? I guess another route to display multiple videos on separate screens might be to use PMPs, but I like the idea of controlling the content centrally, like a video jockey.

Update: I searched 'video jockey' and found some useful links.

Alex Butterfield
April 19th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I need to export from Avid to edit in Combustion 3 (or 4) however, nomatter what format I export the quality in combustion is terrible, the image is pixelated and just really low res looking. the best i can do is to double up the image size of a tga sequence which makes 20 seconds of footage around a gig.

(I'm aware of the preview quality, and I've set that to best.)

I just want to know the best workflow for Avid to combustion and back without losing image quality.

I've tried QT reference out of Avid and when I play that back in QT it is great, but as soon as it imports into Combustion the quality drops, i cant find any import options or anything, are there any?

at the moment I'll stick with a targa sequence as double resolution but I hope someone can shed some light because its baffling me.

Thanks

Alex

Damian Hickey
April 23rd, 2006, 09:44 PM
We have set up low cost arrangement for a two camera studio for live streaming. We are using two NV-GS300 cameras, connected via AV to a crunch switch and another camera on the other side of the crunch switch to convert back to digital for the live feed. Sound is added at the converter camera.

Previously in our tests, we used a Sony camera to receive the AV in and it worked fine. But have now found the extra NV-GS300 we wanted to use for this does not support AV in.

What is the most economical way of replacing the crunch switch with a digital alternative? A whole camera just sitting there is not a very sensible solution to me. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Damian