View Full Version : Newbie Comparison: Canon GL2 vs. Sony HVR-A1U

Chris Scharff
January 5th, 2006, 04:18 PM
So this may be trying to compare apples and oranges here but I'd like to know peoples opinions in comparing these two.
I was just about to buy a GL2 and missed the rebate so now I'm looking for a camera in the $2000 range and found this Sony.
So it's basically 3 CCD vs. 1 chip HDV. What's the major differences and which would have the best picture quality?
I won't shoot in HD that often but it would be nice to have the option for the future as it becomes more widespread. I also noticed the small size of the Sony but I actually like the more professional look of bigger cameras like the GL2.
Keep in mind that my main area of work is documentary style (concerts, interviews) and music videos, so I'm just really looking for overall best quality. Obviously It'll be east to sway me with various pros/cons that you can give me. Thanks for the feedback!

Mathieu Ghekiere
January 5th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I think the ONLY advantage of the Sony would be HDV...

As far as picture quality (resolution aside) and manual controls and audiocontrol concern... I think the GL2 will win, easily.

Shane Ross
January 8th, 2006, 12:41 AM
I don't see HDV as an advantage. Sure, the picture has a bigger resolution, but any fast action and artifacting occurs. This doesn't happen with the GL2.

Go with the GL2...or...if you can, get the DVX-100a or b. Both are GREAT cameras...better than the GL2 and ANY HDV camera.

John Grzinich
January 8th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I work for a an NGO arts organization in Europe and we just got a 2500 euro grant to buy a camera. Although this is great news, we've been faced with the XM-2 vs HVR-AE1 choice.

As we aim to start producing film shorts soon I'm inclined to go HDV, but I know we will use DV to document A LOT of performances and events. Both cameras will work for us, but it's a question of options, what new potentials HDV could open for us. I know the move to HDV will also require extra technical and "knowledge" upgrades, which adds strain to our budget... (our editing PC is a P4 2.8ghz HT w/ 512mb RAM and Premiere Pro 1.5)

I doubt we'll have this kind of money for another 5 years or so. My main fear would be "regret" in a few years for not opting for a HDV capable camera.

Petr Marusek
January 8th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Just buy the HDV camera. You can shoot DV and HDV, or convert HDV to DV. Your computer is powerful enough for HDV editing. You can project HDV to a lot larger screen than DV. Why buy a decade old technology, when new, better technology is available.

Chris Barcellos
January 8th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I am admittedly Sony oriented, as they always seem to put together a decent package for less.

As the months speed by, you will regret not having the HDV access. I shoot a VX2000, and was looking to add a second VX or PD to my colletion. I ended up buying the FX1, figuring I would use it mostly in DV. I find that as I am learning to edit and render HDV, I am happier that I went that route. I can only see the future being more HDV and less DV oriented.

Chris Barcellos