View Full Version : what editing software do people use

Nathaniel McInnes
January 6th, 2006, 10:50 AM
hi i use pinnacle liquid edition to edit my footage. what editing package do other people use?

Len Imbery
January 6th, 2006, 04:53 PM
...I've recently upgraded to Premiere Pro from Pinnacle Studio Plus V9
....but I'm actually still keeping Studio 9 for burning DVDs
(I know....It's not supposed to work but somhow in my case it does....flawlessly, so go figure!)
Len

Don Palomaki
January 6th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Still using Premiere 6.5.

May switch to Liquid Edition in the future.

Tom Elliott
January 6th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I use PPro 1.5 and Premiere 6.5.
1.5 on my fast laptop and 6.5 on the slower desktop.
Yours,
Tom

Andrew Khalil
January 6th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Final Cut Pro 5 - awesome if you're on Mac. I actually upgraded to mac just for this program.

Sean McHenry
January 7th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Avid guy here. Xpress Pro Hd for me. Converted from Premiere Pro and got certified through GeniusDV a bit over a year back. Nothing wrong with Premiere, I started with a company that sold broadcast gear and everyone was Avid there so I figured I better lear what I was selling, liked it and stuck with it for about 2 years now.

Sean McHenry

Paul Gallagher
January 7th, 2006, 06:05 AM
I edit on Premiere Pro 1,5 but still use Liquid 6 to burn my DVD's, seem like a waste of Liquid 6 but my desktop needs a major upgrade to handle it as its so powerfull.

Paul

Graham Bernard
January 7th, 2006, 07:03 AM
VegHead here! - G

Dale Guthormsen
January 7th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Nathan,

I started on penicle 9 went to adobe elements, tried on avid, went to adobe preimere pro 1.5. I really like pro but still on the big learning curve. I use elements as well and it is great for nice short jobs. I just finished a 50 minute contigious music video and it is just fine. A friend works on mac and I have pondered moving over to a mac g5 with final cut express.

gus

Karl Heiner
January 7th, 2006, 06:16 PM
have pinnacle studio 8+9. bought studio 10, big disaster, returned it, and got myself pinnacle liquid edition.

greetings

Mathieu Ghekiere
January 7th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Started with Pinacle Studio DV (consumer), then switched to Premiere Pro 1.5.
At school we edit on Final Cut Pro.
But now I'm considering switching to Avid...

Saturnin Kondratiew
January 7th, 2006, 09:57 PM
p.pro 1.5
Ae 6.5

soon... p.pro 2.0

Chris Barcellos
January 8th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Pnnacle Studio 9, great for simple edits. However, when exporting to DVD, have occasional trouble with transitions and titles on when showing on my Sony DVD player. The cheaper players handle it fine.

Pinnacle Studio 10- Bought this one as upgrade to 9, and knew it was supposed to edit Hi Definition. Has a lot of bugs still. For DV, will edit in 9. 10 is based on the Liquid engine from my understanding, and this editor should be great if it gest fixed right. Hope future updates will resolve problems. Pinnacle has always worked out the problems in its software after time.

Premiere 6.5 with Pinnacle ProOne RT editing board. Produces realtime edits.

Premier Pro 1.51- Learning this one over after Premiere 6.5. Moved up to accomodate new FX1.

Vegas Movie Studio (Vegas 6) - Also to accomodate Hi Def. Seems to be becoming the popular. Its a new learning curve for me, requiring a little different workflow than the Pinnacle and Premiere time lines. I have a harder time conceptualizing the movie on the line, but can see that the general process may be better once I get over the learning curve.

I haven't decided whether to use Premiere or Vegas my primary HD editor yet. Cineform Aspect and Connect are add on that improve the Hi Def of each. Using Aspect in Premiere gives you close to real time editing, but its about $500...,

David Ennis
January 8th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been moved.

For me it's Vegas all the way. Power, stability, and intuitiveness. I used Pinnacle for several years, and I gave Premier two 30 day trials as well as some hours at my place of work, but I just don't like the interface.

Graham Bernard
January 8th, 2006, 03:54 AM

. .eh .. yeah . .. I wonder why? Grazie

Colin Rayner
January 9th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Vegas here too, moved up from Studio DV and am enjoying Vegas immensly!

Ed Fiebke
January 9th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Another Very Happy Vegas user here!

January 9th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Im a vegas user and i cant say enough good things about it..

Ian Stark
January 11th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Vegas.

Found it by accident some years ago and stuck with it. I tried some of the other apps but I guess I'm too far down the Vegas road to change courses now. It does things exactly the way I want to do things. Mostly.

Having said that, I've recently been given (LEGALLY!!) an unwanted copy of After Effects and I'm impressed. I'm not jumping ship, but I am very tempted to add AE to my arsenal for more sophisticated titling sequences.

And yes, why is this thread in this forum??

Michael Bott
January 11th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Vegas. If being professional means finishing your project on time with the least hassle and maximum creative power in front of you all the way - then it's the only choice for me.

From an ex Prem Pro 1.5 and Edition user.

Richard Alvarez
January 11th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Avid XpressPro

Nick Jushchyshyn
January 11th, 2006, 09:18 AM

Maybe since it's not program or even platform specific, but more a general question to GL1/GL2 users regarding what they use to edit the video they shoot ??

Anyway .... I tried Premiere and Pinnicle, but ended up selecting Ulead Media Studio Pro. Will most likely switch to using Final Cut Pro as soon as I can justify the expense of buying the software.

John Marion
January 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I'm still using Adobe Premiere 6.0. It works great for what I do.

Darko Flajpan
January 11th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Happy Avid Xpress user here. I've worked also with FCP an PremierePro, but since most TV stations in region use some kind of Avid, my choice was obvious. It's really great when you come to some TV station to edit your news piece and you know edit interface and everything. It's a big time-saver. On the other hand, lots of my friends are working with varios applications and all of them are satisfied. It really doesn't matter which software you have as long as you can get results which you want. One of my colleagues is making great documentaries for serious money with (watch now) iMovie2 (yes 2!) on imac g3 and PD150. Does anybody care about gear and software - no. TV bosses are very satisfied, and he is too.

Quinn OConnell
January 11th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Hi, Vegas sounds like the firm fav - would it run ok on a Centrino 1.5gig 512ram.. Windows Pro - obviously faster being better..
What would the minumim spec be..

Thanks

Quinn

Grazie - catch up soon mate..!

Graham Bernard
January 12th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Quinn - Vegas will work on mostly anything. I've had V4 work on a Dell schlaptop 1ghtz 250RAM running WinMisery (WinME). I haven't seen it run on a pack of cottage cheese . . yet!

Vegas is also "format agnostic". I've demonstrated Vegas using MPEGS, Jpegs, PNGs, AVIs, WMV and MOVS on the same timeline!

When I loop edit and Colour Correct in real time you can hear the FCP-ers and Premmies jaws hitting the lino.

. . .still don't understand why this thread aint been moved? . . . don't worry me !

Grazie

Matthew Kennedy
January 12th, 2006, 01:09 AM
a steenbeck...oh god I hope to never see one of those again

Graham Bernard
January 12th, 2006, 01:29 AM
a steenbeck...oh god I hope to never see one of those again

WOW! Matthew . .I'm not worthy, I am NOT worthy!

. .and for those grumbling about render times . . grumble no more! Here's what you've been missing . .

http://www.steenbeck.com/

Grazie

Jesse Stipek
January 12th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Vegas 6.0 here. Works like a charm with my FX1.

Chris Davis
January 12th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Hi, Vegas sounds like the firm fav - would it run ok on a Centrino 1.5gig 512ram.. Windows Pro - obviously faster being better..
What would the minumim spec be..I'm sure you could find the minimum specs on the Sony website, but I can tell you I ran Vegas 4.0 for a long time on a 500MHz P3 with 256MB ram. It was slow in rendering, but the output was just as good.

If you want a taste of Vegas, you should be able to get Vegas Movie Studio for $20 or so after rebates. It's a scaled-down version of Vegas, but still very powerful.

I'm currently using Vegas 6.0 and love it. I own Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, but have never really used them much. I bought them because I was under the impression that's what you had to use to be a "pro".

Michael Westphal
January 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Final Cut Pro
is the way to go!
for my GL2, yo.

Ken E. Williams
January 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Premiere Pro 1.5
AE 6.5

Perhaps Premiere Pro 2.0 soon

Bill Schoaf
January 18th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Premiere Pro 1.51 on the PC and Final Cut Pro 5 on the Mac. Just started playing with Adobe After Effects and tyring Avid Xpress as well on the PC. But when it comes down to it, it's still the user and not the software that makes a great piece :)

Frank Pietrantoni
January 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Vegas 6; AE6.5; DVD Architect

I tried PP1.5 for 30 days and just couldn't work as fast as in V6. I'm sure that's just a prefrence thing though...PP1.5 did look/feel very robust.

Mike Teutsch
January 18th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Premiere Pro 1.5.1, AE 5.0, Adobe Elements, Encore DVD 1.5, Audition 1.5, etc.

Mike

Nathaniel McInnes
January 26th, 2006, 01:43 PM
As you know i use Pinnacle liquid edition as i posted earlier. but what do people think of final cut pro hd. i seen it working in action and i have to say it looks bloody amazing