View Full Version : Hd100 in Transit

Greg Corke
January 6th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Hi guys,

I spoke to a rep recently at optex and he seemed surpised that I took the lens of whilst driving around with the camera. What do you guys do?

A) keep it as a complete unit

B) seperate

I've been choosing to seperate as the lens to camera join is not the widest I've seen worrried that a 'car jolt' could possibly damage it or is this over cautious? also anybody know of any good hard case solutions other than explorer or peli?

Hasta Luego Greg C.

Jiri Bakala
January 6th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I've been choosing to separate as the lens to camera join is not the widest I've seen worried that a 'car jolt' could possibly damage it or is this over cautious? also anybody know of any good hard case solutions other than explorer or peli?
I've never heard of anyone taking the lens off for any other reason than changing the lens or using a net. I think that over time you'd likely cause more harm to the bayonet by constantly taking it off and on than just keeping it there. When traveling just make sure that the camera is in a padded case such as a PortaBrace or Kata and you'll be fine.

Jiri Bakala
January 6th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Okay, I should add that you might need to take the lens off if you are shipping the camera in a hard case and the whole thing doesn't fit. In any other 'normal' situations it should be fine as a combo.

Greg Corke
January 7th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Hi jiri,

forgot to mention at the time I had no case and the camera was just on the front seat of the car. Also on the films I work on the cam dep never leave the lense on cam also all the stills guys on the films never leave lenses on either. That was the reason I asked I guess (sorry just trying to make myself feel like a little less of an idiot.) Thanks again mate your advive is always appreciated.

Greg C.

Jiri Bakala
January 7th, 2006, 10:24 AM
sorry just trying to make myself feel like a little less of an idiot
No worry, everybody has their own way of doing things and reasons for it. If I didn't have a bag and the camera was in a vehicle on bad roads I'd try to wrap it in soft stuff (clothes, blankets, etc.) and buckle it down by the seatbelt.

Greg Corke
January 7th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Hi Jiri,

Well I guess that was 214 posts of experience talking there, I'll be there one day.

All the best mate, Greg.

Greg Bellotte
January 7th, 2006, 10:09 PM
I always leave my lenses attached while transporting between shoots. I have a porta brace bag for one camera, and a pelican case for the other. If I ever have to ship via other means (fedex, etc.) I will be looking into the JVC hardcase. Personally, I'm more worried about the lens cable connection. I don't remove the viewfinder for this reason as well.

Joe Barker
January 7th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I have the same question about the XL2.The handbook recomends that the lense be removed when the camera is in transit ,because the lense mountring ring can get damaged.I find this a pain in the butt when traveling short distances between shoots.Its time cosuming, and theres more chance of dust getting in the body.I understand its probably nessasary when transported on a long journy by plane,car etc.
I have now decided to carry the camera with lense attached ,but sit it in a large padded box when moving between locations on local shoots.
I'd like to know how the majority of XL2 experts transport thier cameras?

Jiri Bakala
January 8th, 2006, 12:15 AM
I have the same question about the XL2.The handbook recomends that the lense be removed when the camera is in transit ,because the lense mountring ring can get damaged.I find this a pain in the butt when traveling short distances between shoots.Its time cosuming, and theres more chance of dust getting in the body.
Exactly, there are more 'opportunities' for damage if you are constantly removing and restoring the lens then if you simply keep it attached. I have worked for years extesivelly with numerous broadcast cameramen and NEVER saw once any one of them take off the lens, unless they were swapping lanses or installing 'a behind the lens net'. It's just not done. Good padded bag (Portabrace, Kata or similar) is all you need! If there was so much force on the lens mount that it would cause damage to it, it would mean that the camera is not handled properly in the first place. The body and the attached lens should be equally supported in the bag so that there is no force on the mount. If you are really worried, just get a soft blanket and wrap the camera into it before putting it in the bag. But frankly, I find it unnecessary.