View Full Version : Free solution for 24p in FCP

Eric James
January 10th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Hey Guys,
My HD100's are on order but I wanted to fool around with footage. I don't know if this has been posted, but here's what I came up with to get 24p footage into fcp:

1) open .m2t files in mpeg streamclip (newest version)
Choose file>Demux to unscaled m2v and aiff.
Save the files in the same dirctory as each other

2) open the m2v file in quicktime pro. You'll see it is listed as 23.91 fps and the audio will be attached as well.
Now choose export: movie to quicktime movie.
Click options.
Set options to:
DVCPRO HD 720p
Quailty: Best

48khz
16bit

Now hit ok, and save the file.

3) open the file in cinema tools and click the conform button. Choose 23.98 from the drop down box.

4) Open the file in FCP, make a DVC HD 720p24 sequence and your ready to go.

I have gotten much better quality doing it this way than any of the other converters.

Thanks,
Eric James

http://www.expertmagic.com/

Dylan Pank
January 10th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Is there any reason not to export as DVCproHD .mov files direct from MpegStreamclip?

Eric James
January 10th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Yes.

I found that the quicktime mpeg decoder produced much higher qaulity. Also, when you export within mpeg streamclip you end up with really jumpy clips sometimes because it doesn't handle the 24p correctly.

Thanks,
Eric James

Nate Weaver
January 10th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Also, when you export within mpeg streamclip you end up with really jumpy clips sometimes because it doesn't handle the 24p correctly.

The exported material isn't jumpy, it's at 60p.

Making DVCPRO HD directly out of MPEGSTREAMCLIP makes a 59.94fps file, which depending on the machine, may play with hiccups.

Making an m2v first, then using QT to make the DVCPRO HD file nets a .mov with a 23.98 rate.

Eric James
January 10th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Hey Nate,
It's not that. Although I'm sure that would cause jumpyness too. In the new version of mpeg streamclip you can choose the output frame rate. I choose 24 and half the time they would be fine, but sometimes in the middle of the clips they would get jumpy. You can even go through frame by frame and see the difference. Not that it really matters in the end, but just FYI.

My 2 c,
Eric James

Nate Weaver
January 11th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Hey Nate,
It's not that. Although I'm sure that would cause jumpyness too. In the new version of mpeg streamclip you can choose the output frame rate. I choose 24 and half the time they would be fine, but sometimes in the middle of the clips they would get jumpy. You can even go through frame by frame and see the difference. Not that it really matters in the end, but just FYI.

My 2 c,
Eric James

If you can choose the output rate to 24, but the prog still sees the m2t as 60p, then it's going to probably be doing a "dumb" 60 to 24 conversion.

I can make good 60p files directly out of MPEGSTREAMCLIP

Eric James
January 11th, 2006, 01:53 AM
ahhh, I see what must have been happening.

Nate,
You've had the camera for quite a while now. What post workflow do you use?

My camera's get here tomorrow and as of now I'm planning on using this QT dcv hd workflow, unless there is a better way.

Thanks,
Eric James