View Full Version : More on Using the Nikon Lenses and GYHD100

Yusuf Thakur
January 17th, 2006, 12:20 PM
The Jan issue of Digital Studios a Middle East Publication, has a write up on my use of the GYHD100 with Nikon lenses.
Below is the link.

http://www.itp.net/business/features/details.php?id=3574&category=broadcast
http://www.itp.com/magazines/current.php?magid=9

Yusuf

Jiri Bakala
January 17th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Great article, Yusuf. Congratulations!

Luis Otero
January 17th, 2006, 09:10 PM
The Jan issue of Digital Studios a Middle East Publication, has a write up on my use of the GYHD100 with Nikon lenses.
Below is the link.

http://www.itp.net/business/features/details.php?id=3574&category=broadcast
http://www.itp.com/magazines/current.php?magid=9

Yusuf

Yusuf,

Great article! Very informative. I woudl like to get from you the information on two things: the contact person in Germany for the Nikon addapter, and information as to where I can rent/buy your documentary. I am very happy to hear such great information about the camera and how well is serving to the filmaking community.

Thanks,

Luis Otero

Stephen L. Noe
January 17th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Hi Yusuf,

Terrific read and I'm happy to hear about your success.

Stewart Menelaws
January 18th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Hi Yusuf - Great article... Have been thinking of buying the Nikon fit mount adapter from a company in the UK (les@lesbosher.co.uk) that has them in stock for £140.00 + vat - Can you tell me what benefits you have found by using the Nikon Lenses (we have a number of these 14mm - to 300mm) i.e - sharper? no CA? at what focal length do you begin to get better shallow DoF as compared to the stock JVC - when wanting to say soften the background when shooting a head & waist shot for example.

Many Thanks

Stu...
www.studioscotland.co.uk

Yusuf Thakur
January 20th, 2006, 08:24 AM
The mount is avilable from Zoerk at www.Zoerk.com, send him an email and he should be able to help, Andrew Young also bought one from Zoerk on my advise and is happy with it too. Both the adapters made by Zoerk and Les( I belive) are mchanical adapters, so should have similar results, though I have only used the one by Zoerk. The adapter does NOT give you the same results as you would get from a 35mm lens on a 35mm Camera, we have had a previous forum where this was disscussed in detail, below are the links.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=43262&highlight=Nikon+Mount
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=53380&highlight=Nikon+Mount
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52880&highlight=Nikon+Mount

Yusuf Thakur
January 20th, 2006, 08:31 AM
We recently recived the M2 from redrock after 3 months, we are still testing it but thats the way to go if you want shallow depth of field and create a unique look. We are still testing and hopefully will post some results later.

Joel Aaron
January 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM
We recently recived the M2 from redrock after 3 months, we are still testing it but thats the way to go if you want shallow depth of field and create a unique look. We are still testing and hopefully will post some results later.

Are you using it with the HD100 or a different camera?

Yusuf Thakur
January 20th, 2006, 11:40 PM
We have already tested it with DVX100 waiting for the shim kit which will ready today then we will test it on the HD100.

John Mitchell
January 22nd, 2006, 09:33 AM
We have already tested it with DVX100 waiting for the shim kit which will ready today then we will test it on the HD100.
Yusuf I'd be interested to know if you can use your Nikon adapter with a stock nikon macro lens or a nikon lens with achromat to form a viable relay lens for your Redrock...

should give you a more compact system and a better image thatn the stock lens.

Yusuf Thakur
January 23rd, 2006, 01:52 PM
Will try this out.

Yusuf

Joel Aaron
January 23rd, 2006, 08:27 PM
Yusuf I'd be interested to know if you can use your Nikon adapter with a stock nikon macro lens or a nikon lens with achromat

Micro Nikkors are sharp lenses. That would be a great combo if it worked. Since you have to zoom in on the ground glass of these adapters quite a bit there's one 35mm lens focal length that is the most "right". That'll probably require a little experimentation to figure out.

Go Yusuf! :-)

Paolo Ciccone
January 24th, 2006, 02:08 AM

Hi Yusuf.

Could you add more details about the difference between the use of the Zoerk adapter compared to the M2? I'm not familiar with these devices and I'd like to know what are you looking for with the M2 that you could not obtain otherwise (yes, I'm totally clueless :))

Thanks.

--
Paolo

Yusuf Thakur
January 24th, 2006, 11:56 PM
The basic diff is with the nikon mount, the feel is still video the dof is not shallow enough to create the so called film look. But its great for mounting long lenses please read the above links for more info. On the other hand M2
does create that shallow dof using 35mm lenses, there has been a lot of discussion on wide angle lenses for the GYHD100, we did a test of mounting a
17mm nikon lense via the M2, its one the widest view I have ever seen through a Video Camera Viewfinder.

Nikon Lens via the Zoerk mount, excellent for long lenses READ Wildlife/Sport
Nikon Lens via the M2 creates a unique look, the closest you can get to a film look

Guy Barwood
January 25th, 2006, 03:43 AM
we did a test of mounting a
17mm nikon lense via the M2, its one the widest view I have ever seen through a Video Camera Viewfinder.

I guess it would look pretty wide with my Nikon 14mm lens too then ;-)

Paolo Ciccone
January 25th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Thank you Yusuf.

--
Paolo

Panos Bournias
January 26th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I had a few lomo lenses and i ordered an M2 with an OCT19 mount. After 5! months the people from Red Rock wrote me that we where out of OCT19 mounts and they send me the M2 with an f mount. I managed to fit the adapter, with the original JVC plate by just adding a hole on their support system. Looks fine but I do not have any Nikon lenses so I cannot try it yet. Do you have any ideas, suggestions: Were to get second hand Nikon F mount lenses? I guess that we have to look for f 1,4 - f1,8 max. in order to regain the lost stops?

If you have any updates on the use of the M2 with Nikon lenses I would appreciate if you guys keep me informed. My e-mail is: yantra@dps.centrin.net.id

Yusuf Thakur
January 27th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Try Ebay, or Sigma DG range, or still cheaper Tamron.

Yusuf

John Mitchell
January 27th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Try Ebay, or Sigma DG range, or still cheaper Tamron.

Yusuf

Yes but be careful not to buy any of the "digital" lenses (they use different prefixes for these depending on the manufacturer). There is no f-stop ring on these lenses and you'll be stuck with the lens shut down. (On D-SLR's the shutter is adjusted from the camera body)

Guy Barwood
January 27th, 2006, 01:52 PM
That is true for any "G" lens as well. G lens do not have an appature ring, it is all electronic.

The suffix for a 'digital' Nikon lens is DX.

Yusuf Thakur
January 28th, 2006, 01:29 AM
The Sigma DG lenses are for single-lens reflex cameras, and can also be used with Digital Cameras, the good thing about this range is that they have been made to eliminate flare/ghosting/ and chormatic aberration. I have bought a few after a lot of checking out. If you have the camera, and adapter talk to
nearby photographic dealer, and go check them out.

Yusuf

Panos Bournias
January 29th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Hi Yusuf, i finally got a Nikkor f55 and I tried the M2 today. It was hard to focus and I had to change the macro position of the stock lense to achieve focus more than once.

I would like to ask you:

1. What is your detail value when you use the M2.
2. You back focus once and then you adjust the focus for each composition from the 35mm lens only?
3. How do you do the "back focus" - between stock lens and M2 - before mounting the 35mm lens?
4. Do you have maybe focus trouble as well?

I would be obliged if you give me an idea about the way you use the M2 with the 35mm lenses.
Thank you - Panos Bournias

Joel Aaron
January 29th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Since some of these answers are the same regardless of camera -

2. You back focus once and then you adjust the focus for each composition from the 35mm lens only?

Yes.

3. How do you do the "back focus" - between stock lens and M2 - before mounting the 35mm lens?

There's a tutorial on the RedRock website. Look for that. Here's essentially what to do: Turn the M2 OFF, point at a light source and focus the HD100 on the grain of the ground glass. You can do this with or without the 35mm lens on the M2 but you'll need the lens ON in order to see how for you need to zoom to avoid vignetting.

4. Do you have maybe focus trouble as well?

If your 55mm lens is at 1.4 you only have a few inches of "in focus" area - so it is very difficult to focus on moving objects. Try F4-5.6 if you have enough light.

Yusuf Thakur
January 30th, 2006, 11:57 AM
The explanation is correct by Joel above, we have had no problem focusiing with the stock JVC lens, using the macro, once done as mentioned above leave it alone and set apeture to f4 on the JVCGYHD lens. Make sure you have mounted the M2 anchromat on the JVC lens, I made that mistake by mounting on the M2, this was before I checked the tutorials on the m2 forum.

I hope this helpfull.

Yusuf

Joel Aaron
January 30th, 2006, 02:58 PM
using the macro, once done as mentioned above leave it alone and set apeture to f4 on the JVCGYHD lens.

Have you noticed grain issues or HDV related problems when using the M2? Do you have any footage to show yet?

Also - do you find the length of the entire unit to be a problem?

Shannon Rawls
January 30th, 2006, 04:33 PM
http://rarevision.com/pics/13_inch_35mm_comparison.jpg

Nice visual aid, to show you what you get with using a direct adapter on a HD100 or XL camcorder. Yes you get the depth of field, but you better back up to get the same field of view.

- ShannonRawls.com

Yusuf Thakur
January 31st, 2006, 01:52 AM
Yes we have filmed with M2 and JVC GYHD100, did not have any grain issues, offcourse you need sufficient light, even in low key lighting you need to light as if you are lighting for film for best results. I am out of Dubai at the moment
but will be back in few days will then post some video.

Yusuf

Yusuf Thakur
March 11th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Its been a long time since I last visited even the site for checking all the new postings, have two one minute clips, shot with all kinds of lenses, the standard lens, with the redrock M2, and via the nikon adapter using a 50mm macro, and 50-500 mm slr.

The files are in Divx file format.

Trying to upload to Streamload, I have asked this question before can one post
the files directly in the forum.

Total file size for both files is 55mb

Jon Glen
March 11th, 2006, 01:24 PM
i believe you have to host them and post a link.

and ooooohhh boy do i want to see your footage, i cant wait ;D

Steven Thomas
March 11th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Thank you!
Looking forward to the footage

Yusuf Thakur
March 11th, 2006, 09:45 PM
http://mediamax.streamload.com/yusufwings/Links/0o3rU61Pwu/GYHD%20Divx%202.avi

Enjoy

Stephen L. Noe
March 11th, 2006, 10:20 PM
http://mediamax.streamload.com/yusufwings/Links/0o3rU61Pwu/GYHD%20Divx%202.avi

Enjoy
Incredible. Especially the pencil.

Daniel Weber
March 11th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Great stuff. I loved the detail on the shot of the apple with the water droplets. Very nice.

Which Nikon lens did you get this shots with?

I have a Nikon 80-200 ED 2.8 lens that would be nice with the M2. It would be a real long telephoto though. Did you get the M2 setup with the rails, etc? I think they call it the Indie Kit.

Thanks for the clip.

Dan Weber

Yusuf Thakur
March 11th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Yes we have the M2T Kit with rails etc. Only the first shot is with a M2T and a 17-70 Nikon lens.
All the other shots are with the nikon mount and the a 50mm Nikon macro lens.

The shots have clear supers to identify them

Jon Glen
March 12th, 2006, 12:26 AM
geesh, that's fantastic footage, congrats

Adam Larsen
March 12th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I'm having trouble downloading the footage. When I click your link it directs me to a MediaMax "wrong link" page where I can sign up for a Streamload account (I signed up for one but that doesn't seem to help)...

Thanks,
Adam

Yusuf Thakur
March 12th, 2006, 11:58 PM
The download limit is already over, need to upload to another site and post new links.

Adam Larsen
March 13th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I would love to see your footage - Thanks.

Bob Hart
March 13th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Yusuf.

How do you find the 50mm - 500mm? I am assuming you are using the Sigma 50mm - 500mm. It is a seriously handy lens for aircraft or wild birds in flight.

I have been using it with aerial image (no groundglass) and have tried it with the groundglass as well.

Do you find any vignette or crop of the corners in 16:9 or can you zoom in far enough to get inside.

Do you have any .jpg frame grabs? I am limited for ability to download and view motion footage.

Yusuf Thakur
March 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM
The second clip which I was unbale upload is a 1 min clip with more than 50% footage shot with the Sigma 50-500, its via the nikon mount there is NO vigneting either at 50, inbetween or at 500, Its the form the new range for Digital SLR as well as standard SLR and has a manual aperture. Only when you see the results will you realise how sharp it is giving excellent results of small (8-12 inches) objects filling the entire frame as far away as 50 Meters.

I have not used any ground glass in any shots except the one labelled M2T.

Yusuf Thakur
March 13th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I have posted the clips again. There are two files converted to Divx
Divx 1 is shot with the standard lens and 50-500 mm slr, via the nikon mount
directly and not the M2T

Divx 2 has only the first shot with the redrock M2, all the other shots are via the nikon adapter using a 50mm macro

When you click on the link a page to badongo opens and you will see a grey box on rigtht hand side, click this and you can download and save, view the file

http://www.badongo.com//vid.php?file=2006-03-13_GYHDDivx1.avi
http://www.badongo.com//vid.php?file=2006-03-13_GYHDDivx2.avi