View Full Version : Mac - Avi to quicktime...

Ismail Aslam
January 19th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Hi all,

Im not sure if this is in the right section (Sorry if its not) but i have some avi video clips which i want to convert and maybe edit. is there a FREE converter on the net any one can reccomend or knows about?

I really apprieciate your help

Regards

Ismail

John Christensen
January 20th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Do you use FCP or iMovie? If you use FCP just import the AVI files like you would any other file. Sometimes FCP will popup a thing saying the files are an old format, just click ok to import them (i think). Then pull them into your timeline and export them right back out as what ever file format you need. If you do not have FCP please email me at JohnMChristensen@msn.com and I'll try to help you find a way to import them to iMovie or something. Hope this helps, John.

Nate Schmidt
January 20th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Well Ismail there are a couple of ways that you can do this. Download the free app called Divx Doctor. It converts avi's to Quicktime files. If you have Quicktime Pro you can open the avi in quicktime and export it as the quicktime format of your choice. If you can't open it in Quicktime, search the net for more Quicktime codecs, which should be free. Start with 3ivx and divx in google. I can't even remember where I found all my codecs, but I can pretty much open any video file in Quicktime and convert it to what ever format I want.

Chris Westerstrom
January 27th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Do you use FCP or iMovie? If you use FCP just import the AVI files like you would any other file. Sometimes FCP will popup a thing saying the files are an old format, just click ok to import them (i think). Then pull them into your timeline and export them right back out as what ever file format you need. If you do not have FCP please email me at JohnMChristensen@msn.com and I'll try to help you find a way to import them to iMovie or something. Hope this helps, John.

hey john
Does that work for Final Cut Express as well?
thanks

John Christensen
January 27th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Chris, as far as I know, the answer is yes. I have never used FCE, only FCP, but I have see it and I believe .avi files are supported for editing. For exporting, I don't know what it (FCE) can export as, but I would think you could export Quicktime files. I guess the only way to know is to try. Sorry I could not be of more help, John.