View Full Version : What's the purpose of Uncompressed?

Daniel Stone
January 19th, 2006, 02:11 PM
At what point does it become necessary to export something in an uncompressed format?

If I edit something in FCP that originated from BetaSP, color correct and add titles, is there going to be a notable difference between a DV-codec export and an uncompressed export?

Thanks!

Rob Lohman
January 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Usually the main reason to go uncompressed is when the footage goes through
multiple programs (passes). Then you will be able to skip extra generations of
compression. Usually if you are just working in one program and export in your
final format (DV / MPEG-2 [DVD]) then this isn't needed.

However, you generally will not be able to see it even if you use DV. Unless
you do a lot of passes or have very good eyes. But some people like to stick
with the best quality possible.

You can do some tests if you use multiple programs if you can spot any
differences yourself.

Dave Perry
January 22nd, 2006, 08:30 PM
If you are shooting Beta SP, you ought to be capturing as 10bit uncompressed. For one thing, the frame size of Beta SP is 720x486 as opposed to the 720x480 of DV.

The other thing is that when you shoot Beta SP, you have an uncompreesed source that provides a superior image to DV in most cases. We shoot Beta SP at work. I shoot DV at home and have grown to be able to tell the differences between the two. In many cases it's obvious but some of the higher end DV cameras do a fantastic job.

The color space of 10 bit uncompressed is different. I get confused on the actual color space differences, but with Beta SP captured as 10 bit uncompressed you are able to get cleaner keys when shooting against a green screen and you have much less banding between gradients in color or fades and disolves.