View Full Version : How many people own an HD10 or HD1 (and/or still use it)

Heath McKnight
January 20th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Just curious how many own an HD10 or HD1 and/or how many are still using it?

I own one, but I don't use it--haven't shot anything in over a year now, when I did a mini-shoot out with an FX1. I will be giving it to the leasing company this summer when I'm done paying for it. (Don't lease cameras like these.)

heath

Koen Delvaux
January 21st, 2006, 11:07 AM
I just got interested in the HD1 for it's low price.

The choice for me was between a GS400, HC1 or this camera. I don't have it yet (came to a buying agreement with a DvInfo forum member) but from what i've read I don't think I'll be disappointed.

I intend to use the camera for shooting model airplanes. I distribute those things here in Europe and want to have demonstration video's, instruction DVDs etc. Being an amateur photographer (own darkroom, all-manual, medium format shooter, took long to accept that digital photography was no longer a toy, etc) I kind of fancy taking a shot at videographing myself. If it doesn't work out no problem: I have professionals standing by to do the production for me.

For family video's I have a Panasonic GS-17 laying around, I expect a huge difference in quality between the two camera's.

Heath McKnight
January 21st, 2006, 11:40 AM
The HC1 is nice.

Tom Roper
January 21st, 2006, 01:56 PM
Own GR-HD1, but don't use currently. Breakthrough cam, disappointing that JVC chose not to offer a fix for it's few flaws, a factor in why I didn't return to JVC. In part, the same sentiment applies to the HD100.

Erik Rangel
January 21st, 2006, 02:39 PM
Hey all,
I have the Hd10u and yep still using it.
Gonna shoot a short next weekend. I'm using it with Quyen's Letus35a adapter.
It's starting to fall apart though...the on/off button popped off and I had to super glue it back on...works.
Once the Guerilla 35 comes out I'll be getting that adapter also i just hope my cam lasts that long...and if it doesn't, well it's had it's fair share of work.

E.
www.inthemind.com

Heath McKnight
January 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM
Very cool, Erik! I enjoyed your short films!

heath

Erik Rangel
January 21st, 2006, 03:03 PM
Thanks Heath,
Have you entered any of your shorts(3sisters, push/pull) into IFC's medialab?
I'd like to see any of your short movies. And looking forward to 9:04am.

E.

Heath McKnight
January 21st, 2006, 03:09 PM
Erik,

I will be shortly. Push/Pull (www.pushpullmovie.com) was shot in DV (XL1 and GL1). Both 3 Sisters (www.904am.com/3sisters.php) (FX1) and Release Me (www.releasememovie.com) (HD10) were in five film festivals last year, which has us pumped for 9:04 AM!

Thanx,

heath

ps-Release Me (DV): http://homepage.mac.com/hmcknight/releaseme/iMovieTheater8.html

Erik Rangel
January 21st, 2006, 03:25 PM
Good Job Heath!

Heath McKnight
January 21st, 2006, 03:58 PM
Hey Erik,

Thanks, man. I hope you're pushing the Denver film scene to great new heights! I have a former student who is hoping to move out there (for non-film reasons) and I'll make sure he sends you an email before he goes. (Probably by the summer or so.)

heath

Erik Rangel
January 21st, 2006, 10:34 PM
Pushing to new height?...How about just moving forward a tad?
:)
looking forward to that email

We got a bit off topic but at least we now know that the jvchd10 is far from dead and buried....uh right? Anyone else still using this camera?

Heath McKnight
January 21st, 2006, 10:39 PM
Are you only on the HD10, Erik? I use the Z1 and DVX100a all the time.

heath

Erik Rangel
January 21st, 2006, 10:53 PM
yep.
Do what you can with what you got...I always say. Don't have access to other cams. Plus i really like staying 720p. So when the hd10 craps out. I'll probably end up going with the hd100u.

Gabriele Sartori
January 21st, 2006, 11:57 PM
Just curious how many own an HD10 or HD1 and/or how many are still using it?
heath

I used for two years, I keep using and I love it. It has been in Eurpe, Asia, Africa and all around the US. It is very robust and the output is awesome once you know how to use it. I guess I will move on to the HD100 but for what I do I find hard to depart from the HD1. With the new tools existing now, it is a pleasure to have this camera. When I bought it more than two years ago there was nothing. It was a real nightmare back then.

Gabriele

Darrin McMillan
January 22nd, 2006, 08:59 AM
I have the hd10 and an Xl2, I love both, however I find I use my Hd10 about 80 % of the time if it's a one cam shoot. Under the right conditions it works really well. Under the wrong conditions not so much...I will keep it till it dies for sure.

Heath McKnight
January 22nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
Good to hear you guys love your HD10s/1s.

heath

Joel Kreisel
January 22nd, 2006, 06:05 PM
My partner and I just picked up an HD1 to shoot a feature this summer. So far with all the tests we've run we've been extremely pleased with it. And for $1100 on Ebay, we really couldn't go wrong. We're probably going to be getting a Letus35 or SG35 for it as well.

Heath McKnight
January 22nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Just remember, going from 30p to 24p is very tough.

heath

Carlos Rodriguez
January 22nd, 2006, 10:44 PM
My JVC HDV cam is like an old pair of sneakers to me. It's just the one that's been beat up from over usage so much but can't bear to get rid of it because it's so comfortable. Plus learning new things about the HDV format all the time, it's just like a gold mine to some people. I'm shooting a Noir project right now, and the camera looks phenomenal in b&w! I couldn't part with this cam for anything.

Heath McKnight
January 22nd, 2006, 10:50 PM
B&W looks great on the HD10, I agree!

heath

Tommy James
January 23rd, 2006, 11:11 PM
I own a JVC JY-HD10u

Heath McKnight
January 23rd, 2006, 11:18 PM
Cool. When did you buy it?

hwm

Joel Kreisel
January 24th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Just remember, going from 30p to 24p is very tough.

heath
True, but we're shooting on a shoestring budget so there's no way we'll get this on film unless we get a sponsor of some kind anyway, and at that point they'd be paying for it, so it works out well for us. ;)

Heath McKnight
January 24th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Have you thought about the HVR-A1u or the HDR-HC1 from Sony?

heath

Daniel Moloko
January 24th, 2006, 02:37 PM
im from brazil...

ive just made a new short-film, 20 minutes long, called "drop-counting".

would be great if you people download the file and tell me what do you think of it. so please, watch it and do a little review over here. and let's talk about the realization itself.

http://rapidshare.de/files/11665657/drop-counting.mov.html

its 33mb. 20 min. not a high quality but its enough to watch it without problems.

thanks a lot

ciao

Patrick Jenkins
January 24th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I wish I still had my HD10s.

Dave Ferdinand
January 25th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Daniel, you better place that post in the 'DV for the Masses' section of this forum.

I own a HD1 and a HD10U and I'm very happy with them. Since I got the HD1 I have barely touched my GL2. Not to say it's better but I feel it's a better companion. Gotta love the beautiful color rendition, the 16:9 HD and sturdiness of the camera. Shame about the lack of manual control and chroma noisa but it's so cheap, who cares.

As to 30p->24p conversion I think 99% of small productions will never make it to the big screen, so I'm not worried.

Dave Ferdinand
January 25th, 2006, 02:18 AM
By the way, what about everyone post a link to their favourite HD1/HD10 shots?

Here are mine (after cc):

http://www.geocities.com/headlesspuppy/stuff/hdv2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/headlesspuppy/stuff/hdvsd.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/headlesspuppy/stuff/hdvseaworld2.jpg

Graham Hickling
January 25th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Recently bought an Sony HC1 with the intention of replacing my HD1.

Now I'm not so sure ... love the Sony's form factor, decent monitor/LCD, and expanded focus. But really miss the JVCs progressive image, push-to-focus, and wonderful colors and tones.

Sadly, I think it's HD1's over-enhanced edges that (just) tip the balance for me - if only I'd bought the HD10.....

Dave Ferdinand
January 25th, 2006, 12:29 PM
It's funny because I think a lot can be done in post that hides the exaggerated EE from the HD1.

I have seen some footage of the HC1 and feel it might be superior in overall quality to the JVC cameras, although it has the usual Sony 'video' feel.

Apart from the toy-look and lack of progressive I think I would get a HC1 today over the HD1, but I could regret it.

By the way Graham, does the HC1 have sharpening controls? And can you lock the AE as with the HD1? I know you can't lock both the aperture and shutter at the same time, like the JVC cameras, which really sucks.

Patrick Jenkins
January 25th, 2006, 12:33 PM
By the way Graham, does the HC1 have sharpening controls? And can you lock the AE as with the HD1? I know you can't lock both the aperture and shutter at the same time, like the JVC cameras, which really sucks.

If not with the HC1, can you with the AU1?

Graham Hickling
January 25th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Dave, yes the HC1 allows sharpening to be adjusted.

Regarding locking exposure .... I'm not entirely sure. There a lengthy thread on that somewhere here. My understanding is that I can lock the shutter (say at 1/60) plus the exposure (i.e. a combination of gain plus aperture plus maybe?? internal ND filters).

This is close, but not identical, to how the HD1 functioned - the difference being that with the HD1 when exposure was locked the shutter speed could sometimes change from what I wanted it to be. To complicate matters, the setting it would drift to seemed to differ on different cameras - at least if the forum discussion here was properly summarizing the situation.

One thing I learned just this week is that the HC1 "cinema" mode appears to be true Cineframe30. I have no interest in 24p, but I did like editing in JVCs 30p, so I am about to do some experimenting with generating 30p footage from the HC1. Who knows, maybe I'll even down-rez it to 720 ... and it will be just like old times with the JVC!

Dave Ferdinand
January 25th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Don't forget that the cinema mode would give you 1440x540 which is actually less vertical resolution than an SD PAL camera. At least theoretically.

Graham Hickling
January 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Oh poop! For some insane reason I had thought Cineframe 30 was doing something a bit more sophisticated than that. I just checked Adam Wilts article and sure enough:

"Cineframe 30 on the 60i FX1 ... throws away one field and doubles the other. The resulting image has half the motion resolution of the normal interlaced mode and appears like a progressive frame, but it only has a single field's worth of information, so its vertical resolution is somewhat degraded, and diagonal lines may look "steppy" or "jaggy".

Thanks for the head-up on that!

David Kennett
January 25th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I still use my two-and-a-half year old HD10. I wonder what would be available today if JVC hadn't opened the flood gates!

Heath McKnight
January 26th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Dave F., it's really 1080i and NOT cut in half. Take a look at the image, it's wonderful. Both the Sonys and the HD100 have great images. When treated well, the HD10 has great images, too.

Any of the new HD10s/HD1s (made in 2004 and beyond) have the official HDV logo?

heath

Mike Teutsch
January 26th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I have my new XL2, and my XL1s, but I will keep my HD10 also.

Mike

Graham Hickling
January 26th, 2006, 11:35 AM
... maybe I'll start converting my Sony's 1080i footage to 720p30 in post, and then use the HD1 as my playback deck to my HDTV, at least until the dust settles on blueray, hddvd, hdmi and the rest....?

Although...hmmm...I guess I'd have to forgo any surround sound audio while I was doing it that way.

(BTW, I just asked in another thread: is 720p60 a valid HDV transport file format, and if so what, if anything, can play it presently? Not the HD1, presumeably?)

Heath McKnight
January 26th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I wonder if you can shoot in 1080i60, convert to 720p30 and have the JVC read and record it?

heath

Graham Hickling
January 26th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I wonder if you can shoot in 1080i60, convert to 720p30 and have the JVC read and record it?

heath

Sure! A JVC 720p30 transport stream is one of Cineform's HDV export options out of Premiere...

Dave Ferdinand
January 26th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Dave F., it's really 1080i and NOT cut in half. Take a look at the image, it's wonderful. Both the Sonys and the HD100 have great images. When treated well, the HD10 has great images, too.

Any of the new HD10s/HD1s (made in 2004 and beyond) have the official HDV logo?

heath

Hey Heath, I was talking about Cineframe mode only, which is line-doubled. Therefore you get half vertical resolution. In standard 60i of course you do get full 1080 lines split in two fields. :)

Heath McKnight
January 26th, 2006, 11:55 PM
I've read several items that said CineFrame mode only drops quality 25%, though I don't notice it so much in CF30 or CF25. CF24 seems to drop a bit.

heath

Graham Hickling
January 27th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I've just posted a resolution chart comparision of the Sony HC1's 'normal' and 'cinema mode' footage in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=420096#post420096

Also, as explained in that same thread, the HC1's cinema mode in fact appears to me to be CF24, not CF30. Cineform's "3:2 pulldown removal" works nicely on it.

Heath McKnight
January 27th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Graham,

post that in the HC1/A1 board, because we're off track here in HD10/1 land:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=99

heath