View Full Version : iMac G5's and multi-monitor setups

John Christensen
January 22nd, 2006, 04:45 PM
Hi, I've been editing on an iMac G5 for almost a year and I hate the fact that apple will not let you use two monitors (you can miror but not span). Because if Mac OS X and the video card are going to drive two monitors (miroring) why can it not let you use your monitors how you want (spanning)? So I decided to do a little research on the issue and just about fell over dead, yes dead. I found a site that says with a simple firmware update you can drive two monitors with the mini-DVI port on the back of the iMac. So my question is, has anyone tried this and does it work? Also what issues, other than warrenty, would I be facing? Slow responce? I do not run Apple Motion, just FYI, only FCP 4.5.

Here is the site:
http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/supportlist_e.html

My iMac is on the ok list, it's a 17" G5 1.8GHz w/ superdrive, 80GB HDD, made between sep. 04-may 05. I bought it in Nov of 04.

Any thoughts would be great. Thank You, John

R.P. Cuenco
January 22nd, 2006, 05:34 PM
all iMac G5's have mini-VGA, not mini-dvi. only the new iMac with core duo has mini-dvi.

i've installed the patch myself and have been editing with my assets on a 15" monitor to the side and my viewers and timeline in the main window. works pretty nifty. havent had an itch to try it with motion though. dont have those kind of skills. btw, im running the 20" iMac 2.0Ghz w/ ALS.

Boyd Ostroff
January 22nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
I gather that many people use this hack. Interestingly, the new Intel iMacs support screen spanning on multiple monitors:

http://www.apple.com/imac/whatsinside.html

• Support for external display in extended desktop and video mirroring modes

John Christensen
January 22nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
So do you think or know if I could drive a 20" Apple Cinema Display with this hack and my computer? And have you heard anyone say anything about it wrecking their computer or is it totally safe? Also does your video card last having to drive two screens? John

Dave Perry
January 22nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
John,

I used the firmware tweak for 2 years on an iBook G3 800 with no prblems what so ever. Regarding waranty just switch it back before you send it in if you have to.